Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: input on collector car values this summer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
o.k., i'm wondering what the 914 crew foresees in the crystal ball. i'm parting with my 67 mustang of 22 years and just sent off my barrett-jackson application for june- l.a. auction. the only reason i'm parting with it is a realstate opertunity. i will hold it if the market dives. what are your thoughts on the collectorcar market tread in the next 6 to 12 months? i have 2 interested parties but as soon as i agree to sell at b.j. it's off the outside market.

confused24.gif confused24.gif

mike
jasons
They are like any other market right now, and for the next 6-12 months. They will be slumping. I see it this way for you... You are not going to get the best price for your car right now, no way. But, you are buying another commodity that is also in recession, real estate. So, I would look at future opportunity, which is going to appreciate the best?

Now, 6-12 years is another answer. I had a very nice 65 fastback, about 12 years ago. I couldn't give it away then for $10k. I can't buy a similar condition fastback today for $10k. Even in this market, that car is around $20k unless you score.

Good luck with the sale.
Tom_T
QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 30 2010, 10:00 AM) *

They are like any other market right now, and for the next 6-12 months. They will be slumping. I see it this way for you... You are not going to get the best price for your car right now, no way. But, you are buying another commodity that is also in recession, real estate. So, I would look at future opportunity, which is going to appreciate the best?

Now, 6-12 years is another answer. I had a very nice 65 fastback, about 12 years ago. I couldn't give it away then for $10k. I can't buy a similar condition fastback today for $10k. Even in this market, that car is around $20k unless you score.

Good luck with the sale.

I pretty much agree.gif with that re. any collectibles.
... sent you a PM with my #
Tom
///////
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(orange914 @ Mar 30 2010, 09:51 AM) *

o.k., i'm wondering what the 914 crew foresees in the crystal ball. i'm parting with my 67 mustang of 22 years and just sent off my barrett-jackson application for june- l.a. auction. the only reason i'm parting with it is a realstate opertunity. i will hold it if the market dives. what are your thoughts on the collectorcar market tread in the next 6 to 12 months? i have 2 interested parties but as soon as i agree to sell at b.j. it's off the outside market.

confused24.gif confused24.gif

mike

really depends on both the economy and the car. The older the buyers who remembered the car in their youth get the less valuable it becomes. Even iconic cars such as the Dusenburg, relatively speaking have not sold for as much these days as say a 426 challenger convertible (or something like that!) Classics will always be worth something but in general old cars values fall with the aging people who identified with them.
The people who buy expensive cars will always have the money though, but in lean times fewer people with money exist so the bidding wars are not as intense and values drop.
If your mustang is something very very special Barrett Jackson is the place. If it is just a restored Mustang, you would be better off advertising it on e bay and other venues.
I can even see the 356 911 and 914 values dropping, but not the speedster and the rare racing cars Porsche has produced. 914s are hot now even with this economy, ten years from now they will start to cool, just as the fire in the bellies of the people who identified with them back then.
Scott S
I would try and do everything possible to sell it privately. I am not 100% sure of the BJ fee/commission structure, but any fees are simply that. Does BJ publish a list of their prior listings by year/make/model? That would be a great indicator of what did and didn't sell, and for what price.

As far as the market goes, getting top dollar right now is brutal, unless a car is rare, has some sort of history, etc.

With the stuff we have purchased in the past two years, we wont touch any sort of investment car unless it is going for somwhere around 50% of what it "should" currently sell for. Unfortunatley, the economy has created some great deals for buyers - I say unfortunately as it is really too bad when someone drops a pile of money into a restoration, falls on hard times and then finds out there is no demand for it when he tries to sell it.
underthetire
Just make sure there are no storm warnings for the weekend you car goes to BJ. biggrin.gif

Actually, my father is looking to do the same thing with his 57 thunderbird, but he is able to wait another year if he has to.
orange914
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 30 2010, 10:16 AM) *

Does BJ publish a list of their prior listings by year/make/model? That would be a great indicator of what did and didn't sell, and for what price.

As far as the market goes, getting top dollar right now is brutal, unless a car is rare, has some sort of history, etc.

With the stuff we have purchased in the past two years, we wont touch any sort of investment car unless it is going for somwhere around 50% of what it "should" currently sell for.

yes, i've been watching past sales. fortunately my mustang is a special order,loaded, fastback with a strongly documented history. it should make prime time slot.

i guess i'm wondering if the feel out there is by june/july the market will take a quick dive. my take on the collector car market is it has gone down, yes, but definately not relitive to housing etc... the top choice models as mentioned, especially 67-8 mustangs seem about as hot...

am i off here ? anyone been observing "elinore" sales trends

thanks, mike
scotty b
Collector car market is cyclical. Muscle cars are now dead. European sports cars will most likely be the next hot ticket. Pre war stuff will probably be after that, then hot rods, then muscle cars again etc.
jasons
It wouldn't surprise me if getting a prime-time slot at a BJ auction is basically just politics.

Aren't all BJ auctions No Reserve?
orange914
QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 30 2010, 11:56 AM) *

It wouldn't surprise me if getting a prime-time slot at a BJ auction is basically just politics.

Aren't all BJ auctions No Reserve?

i'm a newbe b.j. seller (wait a minute...) acording to my sources it has to be acepted and of course more $$, i hope it just that.

yes, no reserve. they basically can give you an idea what it can start at. thats the input i've gotten anyway. we'll see
ghuff
You guys are forgetting a crucial factor that plays into the fact that in a few years, all classics WILL be going up in value, especially highly undervalued cars over the past few years.

I have an in with the scrap business and have for years.

We just went through a cycle where scrap was at an ALL time high, and EVERYONE with junk cars stored, were crushing them.

I can not telll you how many restorable cars, and good parts cars have been crushed due to that.

My source who runs a yard himself and did crush a lot of nice stuff that I begged him not to knew a man in delaware or NJ I can't remember, with 50+ acres of cars driven there and left. When scrap shot up, he was sending semi truckloads of them out to be crushed for money.

All the underdogs....

Everything became a LOT more rare after this.....

VW Rabbits? Yeah good clean ones go for thousands now, not even the GTi models.

Scirocco? Clean ones are 5k for a 16v. a 1st gen clean? Same, possibly more....

To the point, they are going to stay depressed through the recession(depression if you ask me), then once people get some cash and chase these cars they will go up in value due to demand and what is now a lack of supply.
orange914
QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 30 2010, 12:33 PM) *

To the point, they are going to stay depressed through the recession(depression if you ask me), then once people get some cash and chase these cars they will go up in value due to demand and what is now a lack of supply.

yes, i'm hoping the false mo' money obama "bubble" we are suposedly starting right now will stay inflated thru this summer.
patssle
Due to the recession, it's a bit like the home market. A good buyers market, a bad sellers market. Nobody knows what will happen in the future, but a good estimate is that the usual will happen - prices will go up.

I got an incredible deal on my 914 because the guy had recession problems. I'm not the only one. But not many people have the cash to throw down thousands when they are fearful about their job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.