Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: quick question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jea69
hello, my front wheel bearings are going south, someone told me that they are the same as vw 411/412,is this correct? i have a vw dealer nereby , but no porsche dealer within miles... the snow is going so must hit the road piratenanner.gif
btw it is a stock 1970 1,7
tat2dphreak
nope, I don't think they are the same(first time I've heard of anyone saying this, anyway). order them from PMB, (aka Eric Shea) on here, and they will be shipped quickly.

if he's out of stock then gpr, pelican or anyone else will be able to get them to your door.

edit, just saw you were in Norway. mittlemor germany might save you some shipping sad.gif
jea69
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 30 2010, 08:13 PM) *

nope, I don't think they are the same(first time I've heard of anyone saying this, anyway). order them from PMB, (aka Eric Shea) on here, and they will be shipped quickly.

if he's out of stock then gpr, pelican or anyone else will be able to get them to your door.

edit, just saw you were in Norway. mittlemor germany might save you some shipping sad.gif

thanks for reply, guess ill have to order some and wait ... dry.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(jea69 @ Mar 30 2010, 10:59 AM) *

hello, my front wheel bearings are going south, someone told me that they are the same as vw 411/412,is this correct? i have a vw dealer nereby , but no porsche dealer within miles... the snow is going so must hit the road piratenanner.gif
btw it is a stock 1970 1,7

IIRC - they are the same, but still check the 914 PET for the `70 -4 part no. (down-loadable for free from the Porsche/PAG website in the Classics section), then cross check part no. with the VW p/n for the 411/412 from the VW dealer to be sure - as you may avoid the Porsche part/dealer up-charge BS at VW.

A VW dealer will probably need to back order them anyway, but it's worth a call to price check vs. the on-line 914 parts sources below, which you can Google the p/n, as well as directly checking at those below.

Also PMB, PP, AA, Pelican, Sierra Madre Collection, TC'sGarage, etc. can get them for you online & delivered to your door! FAG is OEM & among the best of them, but steer clear of cheapo repos that were not OEM/OES for bearings to VW-Posche back in the 70's. Inner & outer Fronts, & Rear are all still available.

BTW - the calipers on the 914-'s are also 411/412 parts, but most rebuilds out there are not as good as those done by Eric Shea at PMB - a vendor member on this website.

I have no idea how that compares to international shipping, duties, etc. to Norway.

Skoal! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 30 2010, 11:13 AM) *

agree.gif re: Eric/PMB & Mittelmotor in DE,

... but I disagree with Wayne on possibly same in the 411/412 & think they were a VW parts-bin part, as were/are the 914/4 calipers.
jea69
thanks for the tip ,will check it out.

SKÅL! beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
I could entirely be wrong smile.gif this is just the first I've heard of the 411 being the same bearings...

I know when I bought my first 914, the VW guy at a VW shop said the calipers were the same as disc brakes off a particular ghia(kit?)... long story short... not even close. <<

I ended up converting that 914 to BMW calipers, then later when I got this car, Eric came along and I bought his amazing rebuilds on all 4 corners. I also picked up a BOX of 914 bearings (73+) on an ebay auction... 6 pairs of each inner/outer...

jea69

found this: part numbers for vw and porsche does match

VWC-311-405-645 - OUTER FRONT WHEEL BRG ECONO T1 66-79 T3 62-74

VWC-311-405-625-D - INNER FRONT WHEEL BRG ECONO - BEETLE/GHIA 5/68-79 - TYPE-3 4/68-74 beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Same as the rear wheel bearings on a Golf/Jetta 2 with rear drum brakes. They also come in kit form with both bearings and the seals, and should be readily available in any country where VWs are at all common.

The Cap'n
jea69
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 30 2010, 09:39 PM) *

Same as the rear wheel bearings on a Golf/Jetta 2 with rear drum brakes. They also come in kit form with both bearings and the seals, and should be readily available in any country where VWs are at all common.

The Cap'n

thanks for the info capt`n , guess ill be getting my bearings afterall.
davep
The 914/4 front brakes were sourced from the VW 411.
Rand
My local VW shop carried the right bearings. A quick phone call will tell ya.
Joe Owensby
If you are in a pinch for time, check your local FLAPS. A few years ago when I was rebuilding my car, I ordered all new bearings from a reputable 914 vendor. When I was installing them, I noticed that the bearings didn't seem to tighten up right (when I was initially seating the bearings before loosening them and just taking out the slack per the manual). I looked closely at the bearings, and noticed that the new brand name bearings had an inner radius that was smaller than the one on the original factory bearing I was replacing. This smaller radius was ever so slightly tightening up on the radius on the spindle. Hard to explain without pictures, but I am 100% sure this is what was happening, and was not correct. I called Advance auto, and they had the beraings in stock. These bearings had the correct inner radius on them, and fit up to the spindle perfectly. JoeO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.