Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: baby boxster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
http://wot.motortrend.com/6634428/we-hear/...el/photo_1.html

I saw a pic in car and driver today, and when I google it, there's some pics around...

but everyone wants to call it the new 356 sad.gif we're slighted again!

how can a new entry-level mid-engined porsche, with a 4 cyl (rumored a 2.0L Turbo from VW) be considered a 356? if it was rear engine, maybe... smile.gif

http://www.autospies.com/news/VW-Chairman-...nsidered-51465/
rick 918-S
Yep, no 356 with a targa bar and middle motor. We know what it is. My beef is, they start to market an entry level car with high end pricing. All the car makers do it. WTF.gif
Mr.242
Hey, it just another car that when people wreck 'em......parts for a conversion SIX.

Think positive.....now if they can get the lug patterns to match there would be more options for wheels.
ghuff
That is certainly a modern 914. More so than the boxster.

The only reason they say 356 is due to the NARP 914 stigma.

Seriously.
tat2dphreak
but this is a NARP too then smile.gif VW based engine is suspected smile.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 30 2010, 12:55 PM) *

but this is a NARP too then smile.gif VW based engine is suspected smile.gif

Of course. They are all NARPs now. Even the 911. It is truly a vag product smile.gif

It is double speak, spin whatever you want to call it.

IF you say it is a modern 356 in some reviews, pinky lifting jackasses subject to propaganda will eat it up and fling cash at you for one.

Advertising 101. VAG knows advertising.
Michael N
I spy a Targa Bar biggrin.gif .

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
QUOTE(Michael N @ Mar 30 2010, 02:31 PM) *

I spy a Targa Bar biggrin.gif .

Click to view attachment

Hmmmm .... idea.gif .... that looks like it could be a development of the one from the Sept 08 MT online which I posted about the return of the 914 (pic below).

The one above ties more to the Boxster & 356 look with the full fender mounted headlights, than with the definite 914 throwback on the one below - but they'd better refer to it as the 356-1 Redux, since that was the only mid-engined 356!! biggrin.gif

I still prefer the Gold one below styling wise & it may be a little smaller than the "Baby Boxster" - but without the ugly VW door handles (did they forget the slick 914 flush handles!!?? huh.gif ) & without the garish side scoops behind the doors! At least they took care of those styling flaws on the one above!

Click to view attachment

Geez & after the debate there from all the experts that Porsche wouldn't undercut the Boxster, I guess this vindicates my contention that they would & should!!!! biggrin.gif

.... so now we just have to wait & see what develops!
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Drums66
I kind of like the gold 1 myself??
combo-code would be cool for the door handle's

But......just more rubbish to go wrong idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Mar 30 2010, 01:53 PM) *

Hey, it just another car that when people wreck 'em......parts for a conversion SIX.

Think positive.....now if they can get the lug patterns to match there would be more options for wheels.

Nope - they're talking about a flat 4 turbo/supercharged along the lines of the Audi R4 coming out next year, with maybe 250 HP & 2200 lbs.!!!!

... Seex ...... We don't need no steenkin Seexes!!!! .... ar15.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif
MDG
I'd take either. But I'll wait until I see something from Porsche themselves.

The illustrations in this thread are nothing more than car magazine musings. This new one is by Radovan Varicak of Auto Motor und Sport - he is about the best in the biz in my opinion. Still, neither of these have anything to do with the factory.
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 30 2010, 03:08 PM) *

I'd take either. But I'll wait until I see something from Porsche themselves.

The illustrations in this thread are nothing more than car magazine musings. This new one is by Radovan Varicak of Auto Motor und Sport - he is about the best in the biz in my opinion. Still, neither of these have anything to do with the factory.

So Mike - the illustrations of the baby boxster (silver) & 914 return (gold/yellow) are just "artists' deceptions" from non VW nor Porsche studios??? confused24.gif

... & here I thought they were at least factory concepts!!?? blink.gif

Anyway, a guy who's coming buy about my 914 bodywork at a shop he's a partner in, is also a former Weissach design guy now with VW-Audi's Design Studio in Santa Monica & his team was the ones who put together the VW sports/roadster concept car for the 2009 shows. I can ask him about the direction of PAG/VW on the smaller sports car - if he knows anything, let alone if he can say! idea.gif

BTW - in reading the chain of on-again, off-again articles from PAG & VW - I'd bet that the economy & loss of 30-40% of sales in 2009 has changed the Porsche Exec Suites' & Boards' collective minds on a "Baby Porsche" of any flavor, since they now don't need outrageous profit margins to pay off all that VW stock which they bought in their abortive attampt at a hostile takeover of VW! biggrin.gif

Also, some profit beats no profit any day, & they'll have to do some sort of entry level sports car to bring in new generations of buyers. ... oh geez, here we go again....! unsure.gif

MDG
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 30 2010, 06:23 PM) *

So Mike - the illustrations of the baby boxster (silver) & 914 return (gold/yellow) are just "artists' deceptions" from non VW nor Porsche studios??? confused24.gif

thumb3d.gif

and the silver Photoshop masterpiece - I mean it looks real doesn't it? - has been around since last summer.

still, I hope they make one and I hope it looks as good as these.
Cap'n Krusty
Good old Motor trend. Always last with the news. But look at their awards program, it's clueless, too. We were talking about this here around 6 months ago ..................................

The Cap'n
Justinp71
Starting at $47k for the new 914? I wonder what the 914 was priced at in todays dollars, I would think $25-30k max...
MDG
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 30 2010, 07:16 PM) *

Starting at $47k for the new 914? I wonder what the 914 was priced at in todays dollars, I would think $25-30k max...

The 914-4 was only a couple of Gs less than the cheapest 911; the 914-6 even closer. If it had never gone out of production it would be right where the Boxster/Cayman is now.
EdwardBlume
Unless its a $30K NA 914ish car.. I'm not interested. If it is.. I'm very interested...
Tom_T
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 30 2010, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 30 2010, 07:16 PM) *

The 914-4 was only a couple of Gs less than the cheapest 911; the 914-6 even closer. If it had never gone out of production it would be right where the Boxster/Cayman is now.

Funny thing .... just last night on the way back from dropping the BMW off at the shop last night, my son & I were doing this very calculation on my 73 2L when he asked what it would be worth today!

As a general rule of thumb, historically inflation just about doubles prices every decade - so we figured that my 8-72 & 11-72 sold 914-2.0 which was priced dealer sticker was $5,299 West Coast POE/Shipping - not counting tinted glass & CA emissions test, so that went as follows:

72-82 $5,300 > $10,600
82-92 $10,600 > $21,200
92-02 $21,200 > $42,400 ... (IIRC the Boxster or S was about $45k then)
02-12 $42,400 > $84,800
... so 2010 +/- $76,320 today ... (which is about where the Boxster or S is today)

As to a $30K Baby Boxster, 356-1 Redux or 914 Redux ... well it would have to be a super stripped down model, but probably a necessary entry base model - or maybe at $35k (give them some room Mike! blink.gif ).

IMHO - I think if they offered a range of base through more upscale ones for the $35k to $55k, then they could sell quite a few with a respectable profit margin , while pulling in new Porsche enthusiasts for later move-up purchases - although they may have to squeeze the margin a bit right now on everything in their line-up due to the down economy, unless their new owners VW can be happy with only around 100k units in annual sales as they had in 2009 (per last Panorama).

... and the beat goes on .... !!!! drunk.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 30 2010, 04:30 PM) *

Unless its a $30K NA 914ish car.. I'm not interested. If it is.. I'm very interested...

Rob - I don't think you can build a 914 with a 250HP Raby T-4 with a 915 today for $30K!!! dry.gif
turnaround89
i like the look of this, more than the boxster, boxster s, or boxster spyder.

a reborn 356 thats mid engine...oh well, id still buy one and park it right next to my 914
Brett W
Turbo Flat four? Why reinvent the wheel. Subaru has a great design, plus it would be cheaper and not the first time Porsche has licensed stuff from Subaru.

zymurgist
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 31 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Turbo Flat four? Why reinvent the wheel. Subaru has a great design, plus it would be cheaper and not the first time Porsche has licensed stuff from Subaru.

Oooo, a WRX motor in a good looking body... me likey!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 31 2010, 06:54 AM) *

Oh - you must mean those NARP 996/997/911 & Boxster/Cayman waterboxer thingies that I see around with all the foo-foo-I'm-better-than-thou Pee-Club types!!?? lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Turn-arounds are a beech for them, isn't it!! ar15.gif hissyfit.gif
grantsfo
Dont forget about tuning potential of turbo motors. It will likely be easy to get another 30 to 40 hp from the motor with some ECU tuning.

Turbo 4 would be a great little motor for this car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.