Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: camera for 914 drivers (sot)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jea69
driving an old 914 and having photografy as a hobby, i had to get a camera to go with my car ; a leica digilux2. why? it was made by leica/panasonic , (not a "real leica"),its outdated, no fancy auto everything just "here are the knobs ,your on your own". it was to expensive when new,and most people today dont know what it is. but once you take it for what it is ;great fun , superb handeling, it just makes me want to go outside for a drive and take pictures. smile.gif Click to view attachment
Frost
Show us what that thing can do!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Frost @ Mar 30 2010, 02:49 PM) *

Take '70s style images? confused24.gif

Porcharu
Wow, that is pretty fast lens. What is the crop factor of the camera?
jea69
QUOTE(Frost @ Mar 30 2010, 11:49 PM) *

i shot my dog with it biggrin.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69pixels/4322202371/sizes/l/
jea69
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 31 2010, 12:02 AM) *

Wow, that is pretty fast lens. What is the crop factor of the camera?

yeah the lens is fast and a realy good one, it is a fixed 28-90mm so no need to rob a bank buying more leica optics smile.gif
r_towle
Does it have a USB connection?
PeeGreen 914
Oh drooley.gif

those are some of the best cameras ever made w00t.gif
jea69
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 31 2010, 01:28 AM) *

Does it have a USB connection?

yes usb 2,0, i bought mine a couple of months ago ,prices are a litle crasy at the moment because people are starting get aware of this litle gem, but there are a few to be had in the usa.
jea69
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 31 2010, 01:30 AM) *

Oh drooley.gif

those are some of the best cameras ever made w00t.gif

i have to agree smile.gif its like shooting with a real camera , not a computer.
jea69
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 30 2010, 11:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Frost @ Mar 30 2010, 02:49 PM) *

Take '70s style images? confused24.gif

yes you can but i must have set the dial wrong cause i ended up with the 1950s biggrin.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69pixels/4419019253/
Porcharu
I have been reading up on your new toy - that's a nice camera! 5MP is plenty, that lens is very nice. What does it weigh? I have a Nikon D300 and D40 and find myself grabbing the D40 more and more these days. The D300 is freaking heavy (over 4 pounds) and big with a nice lens hanging of it and actually hurts my right elbow after taking a bunch of photos. The D40 is tiny and light, but smaller would be better.
jea69
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 31 2010, 02:08 AM) *

I have been reading up on your new toy - that's a nice camera! 5MP is plenty, that lens is very nice. What does it weigh? I have a Nikon D300 and D40 and find myself grabbing the D40 more and more these days. The D300 is freaking heavy (over 4 pounds) and big with a nice lens hanging of it and actually hurts my right elbow after taking a bunch of photos. The D40 is tiny and light, but smaller would be better.

it weighs 1,5lb (700g) i also have a D200 and a D300, but they hardly see any use now that i have the leica. its a perfect weight/size camera to carry all day smile.gif

check this site http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_digilux2.html
Porcharu
QUOTE(jea69 @ Mar 30 2010, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 31 2010, 02:08 AM) *

it weighs 1,5lb (700g) i also have a D200 and a D300, but they hardly see any use now that i have the leica. its a perfect weight/size camera to carry all day smile.gif

check this site http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_digilux2.html

You might get me in trouble with the wife. She would kill me if I get another camera she has no idea what my lens collection cost me - the biggest offender is the 'beast' mid-zoom at $1400 that I tend to have on the D300 most of the time. I really like the D40 with the 18-200, to bad the bokah is a little rough. There is a photoshop plugin to fix this but I haven't got it yet.
Steve
campbellcj
Aw, that ain't heavy...here is one of my toys last weekend at Willow.

IPB Image

And with bigger glass at Laguna last fall.

IPB Image

Helps to keep me in shape. Lord knows I need the exercise.
jea69

You might get me in trouble with the wife. She would kill me if I get another camera she has no idea what my lens collection cost me - the biggest offender is the 'beast' mid-zoom at $1400 that I tend to have on the D300 most of the time. I really like the D40 with the 18-200, to bad the bokah is a little rough. There is a photoshop plugin to fix this but I haven't got it yet.
Steve
[/quote]

yea , know about wifes, having one myself biggrin.gif i had to sell one cam to get the leica.
you know that you can easily convert a leica R lens to fit the D300? the pics are stunning ,it would meter and all in A mode but you would have to focus manualy.

Jan erik
jea69
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 31 2010, 06:03 AM) *

that is some serious pices of glas beerchug.gif are you shooting car races?
check this guy out http://www.johnthawley.com/ ( he is also a digilux 2 man)
VaccaRabite
I have been interested in the Leica digitals, but unable to convince myself that it would fill a hole in my camera bag that is not already filled.

Lots of the the Canon glass it just as good as the Lieca glass, and the body of the Digilux is (now up to Gen5, I think) is just a Panasonic point and shoot that looks like an old Lieca. Its just too hard for me to get excited about that.

The Gen 5 cameras don't even look like Liecas any more.

Zach
jea69
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 31 2010, 03:34 PM) *

I have been interested in the Leica digitals, but unable to convince myself that it would fill a hole in my camera bag that is not already filled.

Lots of the the Canon glass it just as good as the Lieca glass, and the body of the Digilux is (now up to Gen5, I think) is just a Panasonic point and shoot that looks like an old Lieca. Its just too hard for me to get excited about that.

The Gen 5 cameras don't even look like Liecas any more.

Zach

funny, you just proved some of my points in my first post biggrin.gif
show me a F2-2,4 28-90mm asph lens of the same optical quality that normal people can afford will you. but your right its lots of good glas out there beer.gif

jan erik andresen
KELTY360
QUOTE(jea69 @ Mar 30 2010, 04:23 PM) *

Better take your dog to the vet, a lizard with a long pink tail crawled down his throat. biggrin.gif
jea69
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 31 2010, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(jea69 @ Mar 30 2010, 04:23 PM) *

Better take your dog to the vet, a lizard with a long pink tail crawled down his throat. biggrin.gif

OMG! your right biggrin.gif
turboman808
prefer to do video but I learn alot more by doing photography.

I would love to film with DSLR but I am waiting for canon to create a better version of it's video camera using the DSLR technology.
Porcharu
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 30 2010, 09:03 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

I hand hold mine and after about 2 hours my right elbow is killing me. Doc says it's tennis elbow yet I don't play tennis and I am left handed! I do want that killer 200mm F2.8 it's little brother is amazing. I also want that new 50mm F1.4 biggrin.gif What I really want to see is the D700S - not the D700X that should already be out.
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.