Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car values by market
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I've seen the numbers that people spit out on what one can expect to pay for a car vs. condition. Some of the numbers vary by person, and also by what I've seen on limited market research in Texas.

For those that watch 914 prices nationally...is there much of a different of costs by location in the country? California vs. Texas vs. North East...etc etc. Also considering the fact that there seems to be a ton of 914ers in California vs. Texas, I'm curious if supply and demand helps drive different market prices?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you can buy a 914 in California do so. If you cannot then buy a 914 in California, and if that is too much trouble then go to California and buy a 914.
Plus the prices are better because 75% of U.S. 914 production went there originally!!!!
I would highly urge anyone to buy a 914 in California

QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 30 2010, 03:19 PM) *

I've seen the numbers that people spit out on what one can expect to pay for a car vs. condition. Some of the numbers vary by person, and also by what I've seen on limited market research in Texas.

For those that watch 914 prices nationally...is there much of a different of costs by location in the country? California vs. Texas vs. North East...etc etc. Also considering the fact that there seems to be a ton of 914ers in California vs. Texas, I'm curious if supply and demand helps drive different market prices?

Tom_T
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 30 2010, 03:19 PM) *

Certainly, with +/- 40% off all 914s originally imported to CA, there is more stock here today, even after 34-40 years of moving them around, & supply affects demand. Right now the supply vs. demand imbalance has to do with more people either withdrawing from the market or or being forced to sell due to the current bad economy, & their personal situations relative to same.

However, they are now classic/vintage collector cars (even if modest price-wise now) - so condition & desirability are far more important factors in their values today. The low production 914-6's are most desirable, followed by 73-74 2.0's, then 75 2.0's & 76 2.0's, with 1.7s & 12.8 bringing up the rear generally (assuming stock cars & no specials like 914-6/GTs, true M-471s, etc.).

That said, an excellent condition lo mile 70 914/4 1.7 could be worth more than a lesser condition & higher mileage 73/74 2.0 or maybe even a ratty engine-less -6.

And then we're in a severe down economy with a lot of uncertainty, so luxury or deferable items like that weekend cruiser or CW show car purchase is put off, & there is less demand.

Supply & demand drives the market. These classics aren't commodities like new cars, where you can price & compete on know ranges of dealer cost to sticker price, etc. Rather, they're more like real estate, where every property is different & unique, but somewhat comparable, and the current value is how much a willing seller & willing buyer agree to without any duress!

The NADA Classics website will give you an "idea" of current selling prices on a particular car/model/year by region, with a low-mid-high range, but this excludes the very bottom & top of the range , & represents what their dealer members are reporting & some public sales sources. It's still what the 2 parties negotiate.

BTW - usually when I or anyone spits out values here, it's mostly just what we're observing around with buyers whom we know &/or what we see selling on line & in the papers/mags/auctions. Not scientific, but more of a gut feel for thins.

IMHO - 2 cents worth!
beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 30 2010, 03:41 PM) *

If you can buy a 914 in California do so. If you cannot then buy a 914 in California, and if that is too much trouble then go to California and buy a 914.
Plus the prices are better because 75% of U.S. 914 production went there originally!!!!
I would highly urge anyone to buy a 914 in California

BTW - George & I are saying about the same thing - some 60% of the 914s came to the USA & +/- 40% of the total went to CA - so roughly 2/3's to 3/4's of US importation went to CA.

BTW #2 - CA 914's & all classics do have rust issues - sorry to say no Holy Grail there!
... hit him with the Comfy Chair!!!!
patssle
followed by 73-74 2.0's, then 75 2.0's & 76 2.0's

This is probably 914 101, but why are the early models more desirable?
r_towle
The prices in the Northeast for a 914 are about 1k more than in California....its really simple.
It costs about 1k to transport a 914 from CA to the Northeast.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.