Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track Car Alignment Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
vintage914racer
I thought I ran across something similar in the past, but my search didn't yield any good results.

I'm getting my track car aligned next week and I'm curious what you guys recommend for settings. A little background on the car:

914-6 Vintage Race Car
2.0l 6 cylinder
1871 pounds
Tires: 245-45-15 Hoosier TD (bias ply vintage legal tire)

What are your thoughts on camber, caster, etc?

Any insights would be appreciated.
ME733
.............USING hoosier bias ply tires is a good Idea.I always liked them myself., The bias ply tires will allow you to use MORE camber--successfully---than with radial tires....using a tire pyrometer, and installing the correct AIR pressure, ft, and rear.....is the key to getting maximum performance from the tires....I would start with 1 and 3/4 degree of negative camber , front and rear.....the tire temperatures should dictate final camber settings....but make sure the tire pressures are sufficient.,ask hoosier what they recommend.................murray
vintage914racer
After a some google searching I've found that Hoosier TDs like around -1.5 of camber. Perhaps that is a good starting point?

Below is what I am thinking, please criticize it and/or add suggestions.

Rake: Front ½ inch lower than rear
Front Camber: -1.5
Rear Camber: -1.5
Front Toe: - 1/8
Rear Toe: -1/16?
Caster: ??
SirAndy
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Mar 31 2010, 09:22 AM) *

Rake: Front ½ inch lower than rear
Front Camber: -1.5
Rear Camber: -1.5
Front Toe: - 1/8
Rear Toe: -1/16?
Caster: ??

Toe in on the front? idea.gif
I like to run a bit of toe out in the front. About 0.5 degrees or ~2mm on a 16" rim.
It really helps with the turn in.

-1.5 camber is a good starting point, watch your tire temps, pressures and wear and adjust accordingly.

Did you corner balance the car? I'd be interested to see the numbers ...
driving.gif Andy
vintage914racer
Nothing has been done yet. It will get corner balanced though.

Sorry, I accidentally put a negative sign into the front toe. Should be toe out.

What are peoples thoughts on caster?
neilca
Check out this thread,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...02004&st=20
I tried to catalog my setup. I am on slicks but they are bias ply like the Hoosiers.

Good luck,
neilca
vintage914racer
I did just run across your thread just a little bit ago. It is helpful, thanks.
Thorshammer

While it is always difficult to make reccomendations because we really don't know what your set up is. Typically, 1 1/2 degrees of negative camber is too much for a bias ply tire. You may alot of body roll to counter. Her is where I would start

F -.75 degree camber
Toe out 1mm total

Rear -.75 degree camber
Toe in 1mm

Front caster start at 5 degrees

Tire pressure is very critical. Make sure you have a pyrometer and check the tire pressure and teamperature to determine final settings.

Erik M
john rogers
The alignment will depend on where and what type of track you are racing at. Out here in CA many vintage racers run a mild setup with some toe in if at a big track like the CA Speedway or Willow Springs and some toe out if at a short track like Phoenix Raceway. The added stability on the banking at CA NASCAR turns 1 and 2 allow an 2l 914 to put around it with your foot to the floor and the car will feel nice and stable. The caster is about the same, maximum caster angle at a big track for stability and less at a short track. Camber on bias ply slicks is something that will have to be experimented with as with Goodyears they like 0 degrees front and maybe a little in the rear. Additionally the rear alignment will depend on how the car moves under braking. If it is soft in the front so the nose dives a little then the rear can tend to tow out and things can get squirley very fast.
vintage914racer
Reviving an old thread. Just back form the track. All in all a good weekend. With new suspension all around the car is definitely tighter.

The one issue I am having is that the car is pretty twitchy on high speed sweepers. Any slight turn of the wheel and the car is a handful. My home track, Brainerd, has a right hander that I take pretty much flat out in 5th gear. Do you think the toe settings are what's causing the twitchiness? Right now I'm running 1/16" toe in on the rear and 1/8" toe out in the front.

Might adjusting the toe F & R reduce the twitchiness?
DanT
yes.
are those total toe readings for both sides or per side.

If per side, 1/8" that is a lot of toe out in front.

I would put the rear to zero and put the front to no more than 1/16 per side in front.
J P Stein
I agree , but I would go with 0 toe up front and -1/8 (total) in back.
I tried 1/8 out in front and it was too twitchy for autocross.....IMO.
SirAndy
agree.gif but i would leave the rear alone and just dial out a bit of toe in the front ...

biggrin.gif Andy
andys
Form my personal experience, toe out almost always makes a track car respond so much better, especially on turn-in. I see above that John Rogers likes to dial in some toe on the high speed stuff and suppose it's a matter of preference and results. I can see where in some cases you don't want to have too crisp of a turn-in on high speed corners.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.