Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How close would a faded paint job match?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
The red paint on my car is in great condition, except for the rear trunk. Nothing rusty, just has some surface issues and a little cracking. My red is a little faded, and the difference is pretty obvious if I pull off a mirror where it's been covered up.

Do you guys think it's possible to get the trunk painted to a matched color from the faded sections and it would look good despite being new paint surrounded by older faded paint? Or would it be pretty obvious of a new paint job?

I don't want to get the whole car painted. It's not a pressing issue, just a looks thing.
jonferns
Have you tried compounding the faded paint? On my yellow car the hood was badly faded, but buffing it brought it back.
patssle
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 31 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Have you tried compounding the faded paint? On my yellow car the hood was badly faded, but buffing it brought it back.

My trunk doesn't have a fading problem, something got on it that I can't get off from some plastics. I did compound, no luck.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 31 2010, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Mar 31 2010, 09:24 AM) *

My trunk doesn't have a fading problem, something got on it that I can't get off from some plastics. I did compound, no luck.

While matching paint technology is pretty good, you're mismatching age and materials which ultimately will continue to age differently.

I'd take it to a restoration shop and see if they can spot fix it, or experiment on a new trunk..

Katmanken
Reds fade a lot which can make matching interesting.

That being said, I did have a burgandy metallic car once where the left front fender was replaced. The guy that shot the car did a perfect job. I accused him of having a can labeled "years of fading" that he added to the base paint.

It can be matched, but I'd ask a pro.
patssle
Here is what I am dealing with. I've tried compounding and then waxing it. No luck. Any suggestions?
jonferns
Try light wetsanding, then polish and wax. Had some similar paint marking on a bug at work, light wetsanding and polish and it looks fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.