Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polishing Window Trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I got some used AL windshield trim and need to polish it up. The anodizing is badly scratched and my local plater will want about $80 to fix it. I've read conflicting things about how to strip the anodizing and how to polish it there after.

Anybody have any real world advise?

-Aaron
r_towle
Easy off takes off anodizing.
From there you probably want to sand it from 600 or higher up to 1500, then use progressive buffing compound on a wheel buffer.

Rich
Rand
You polish something on a 914? Eww. Remove, eliminate, scuff... anything but polish! happy11.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 31 2010, 05:02 PM) *

Easy off takes off anodizing.
From there you probably want to sand it from 600 or higher up to 1500, then use progressive buffing compound on a wheel buffer.

Rich

IIRC there's a tech article on this very subject on the Pelican site, & that they start with 1000 or 1500, then go to 2000, then chrome polish. The grit takes off most of the anodized layer (pretty thin effect layer), as you're smoothing out the scratches.

Go look on the Bird site for the step by step & pix!

Also there was one topic posted awhile back under O&H on how some of the CW's get theirs all purdy!

They also have a wheel polishing tech article at the bird site.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 31 2010, 12:36 PM) *

I got some used AL windshield trim and need to polish it up. The anodizing is badly scratched and my local plater will want about $80 to fix it. I've read conflicting things about how to strip the anodizing and how to polish it there after.

Anybody have any real world advise?

-Aaron

Do it! Let the plater do the hard work.
It isn't the anodizing that's "badly scratched" -it's the aluminum below. Once the anodizing( a very fine coating) is compromised the only option is to refinish. You can polish like a bat's ass but it will be useless if it isn't re-anodzed. And, the plater should have quoted you for polishing before re-anodizing.

You shouldn't need to do anything thereafter. A little ossasional wax wouldn't hurt, but never take any abrasive compounds to it. EVER!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.