Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Just some observations and things I've read or seen.
Latest issue of Excellence Magazine has a great article where the guy goes to Calif. to buy an inexpensive 911 SC. Part one, The $8,865 911 SC, three times the price later. I think some or most of the questions he answers also apply to 914's.
If you want to buy a 914 to modify it to your likes and plan on doing a lot of the work yourself, then buy the best and cheapest you can find and do the work that will be needed yourself.
If you want a nice 914 to enjoy, buy the best one you can find and is in your budget, remembering that getting an inspection by someone who knows these cars is money well spent. Or buy from a reputable seller or friend who would stand by the deal if something turns up that wasn't right and you become dissatisfied. That may be hard to find tho'.
I got mine several years ago ( 2005 or 6) and spent about 4K for it. Since then, I've spent over 4K in parts and repairs all on the things I felt it needed to be reliable. The engine doesn't leak as much after new seals ( couple of drops), brakes are all new with rears rebuilt by Eric, trailing arms redone ( again by Eric) and all wheel bearings replaced.The car drives great. If only I had another 4K right now for cosmetics, all would be wonderful. So I understand how quickly you can put way more into the car than it is worth on the market. However, I think a lot of us do it not for money, but for the love of these cars. Part of the enjoyment is getting the car to the condition you envision. Pride in driving a nice 914 is there too.
I guess in the end, if you don't plan on doing a lot of work yourself, then make your budget as large as possible and buy the best car you can find. Someone has already spent alot of $ getting it to where it is. I see a lot of those here. Worth way more that the seller can expect to get.
Tom
Porcharu
That sounds pretty reasonable - after all these cars are all at least 34 years old. I would add spend the $$$ on a car with minimal rust. Some of the 'rustorations' on this site would cost what a down payment on nice home if done by a shop. I bought my car specifically to do a conversion and I searched for a while to find one with almost no rust that was a complete running car. Rest of the car is pretty good too - worth what I paid for.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I hate to buy a 914 that is ready to go unless I am reselling or putting in my display case. It is just boring.
The great fun in 914 ownership is purchasing a car with great potential and watching it come back, by doing it yourself or watching someone else do it for you, you inputting your ideas! Since the 914 is so so simple and parts readily available (thank you our suppliers!) all 914s are a relative easy restoration, and the result is a great driving great gas mileage great looking dependable sports car convertible! Every 914 I buy I look at as my next driver and get excited all over again. I am currently working on a 75 1.8 with air, appearance group, most of the original paint, and the original red plaid interior! I can already see myself racing home with the top off and the air conditioning on high (yes I am an old man) and the radio turned up to full volume playing my favorite rock songs from the late 60s early 70s, or winding up through the north Georgia mountains, using the total 1.8 engine's capacity but not being able to drive fast enough to fully take advantage of the great handling, and then taking the car to a show where everyone will flock around it, marveling at its uniqueness (and Steve and Pat know that I would always have it in high shine!!!!)
I encourage everyone to purchase and save a 914. There are only so many out there and without them being saved, the future for the marque will only be as bright as the passionate enthusiasts who spread the word to the outsiders of the greatness of this Porsche

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 31 2010, 04:47 PM) *

Just some observations and things I've read or seen.
Latest issue of Excellence Magazine has a great article where the guy goes to Calif. to buy an inexpensive 911 SC. Part one, The $8,865 911 SC, three times the price later. I think some or most of the questions he answers also apply to 914's.
If you want to buy a 914 to modify it to your likes and plan on doing a lot of the work yourself, then buy the best and cheapest you can find and do the work that will be needed yourself.
If you want a nice 914 to enjoy, buy the best one you can find and is in your budget, remembering that getting an inspection by someone who knows these cars is money well spent. Or buy from a reputable seller or friend who would stand by the deal if something turns up that wasn't right and you become dissatisfied. That may be hard to find tho'.
I got mine several years ago ( 2005 or 6) and spent about 4K for it. Since then, I've spent over 4K in parts and repairs all on the things I felt it needed to be reliable. The engine doesn't leak as much after new seals ( couple of drops), brakes are all new with rears rebuilt by Eric, trailing arms redone ( again by Eric) and all wheel bearings replaced.The car drives great. If only I had another 4K right now for cosmetics, all would be wonderful. So I understand how quickly you can put way more into the car than it is worth on the market. However, I think a lot of us do it not for money, but for the love of these cars. Part of the enjoyment is getting the car to the condition you envision. Pride in driving a nice 914 is there too.
I guess in the end, if you don't plan on doing a lot of work yourself, then make your budget as large as possible and buy the best car you can find. Someone has already spent alot of $ getting it to where it is. I see a lot of those here. Worth way more that the seller can expect to get.
Tom

tat2dphreak
I hate to buy a 914 that is ready to go unless I am reselling or putting in my display case. It is just boring.

no such thing... there's ALWAYS something left that you can tweak, change or make a little more to your liking smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.