Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad poping noise when shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
Started hearing it last year. Sounds really bad now. Makes the same popping noise when I lightly accelerate. Is it the cv joints or something in the trans? Last year when I jacked up the car and put it in first and turned the tire there was lots of play at the trans not so much at the cv. So What is it that I need to replace? and is it costly? Thanks
VaccaRabite
I am assuming it is not exhaust popping on overrun? If so, it might just be an exhaust leak.

Zach
914fun
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 31 2010, 10:00 PM) *

I am assuming it is not exhaust popping on overrun? If so, it might just be an exhaust leak.

Zach

NO, Its in the trans. or cv. Very mechanical sound. Very loud even when starting off very slow. and puting around. Its like something is not catching for a second. and then bam and I can feel it catch just touching the pedal lightly.
RJMII
Did you try taking it out of gear while rotating each wheel? Do your CV's crunch when doing this?
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Check your CVs. Its an easy thing to check. While the wheels are in the air, give them a good side to side shove to make sure your bearings are still good.

Does the car go into gear easily?

Zach
914fun
when I spin the wheel and stop it, going both directions is when I feel lots of play and a bad clanking sound. I have to shift into 1st and revers slowly and pull very hard to the left to get it in 1st and revers but the rest of the gears go in nice. I have changed all the bushings and cone screws in the linkage. What it sound like to me is when two gears have alot of play between them. Crap! I was just lookin at a parts book. I sure hope its not the drive shaft and ring gear. 4600.00 new 850.00 used. Crap! But it sure what it feels like. Say it aint so.
RJMII
Tail shift or side shift?

Unless you're a CCW, the parts can be had for a lot less.

It does sound like the R&P. Dr Evil (or I) could take your trans and a good core, and make one from the two.

914fun
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 31 2010, 11:12 PM) *

Tail shift or side shift?

Unless you're a CCW, the parts can be had for a lot less.

It does sound like the R&P. Dr Evil (or I) could take your trans and a good core, and make one from the two.

Its a side shift. Wouldnt have you make me one cost a crazy amount just in shipping. U must have done it before, What dose something like that end up costing? I just got a new clutch and pressure plat for it but I think I should not put it in just yet. I know people put Subaru motors in these thing. Could a person put a subaru trans onto a t4 motor. It would most likely shift much better and could pick one up with way less miles on it. Just thinking out loud.
RJMII
shipping (x2) $100 (probably less)
rebuild $500
core $150-300
gasket kit $30 ? (I need to recheck the price on this)

Subby trans option:
custom adaptor $500 ?
trans mount $?
axle adaptors $?
subby trans itself $?
cable shift setup $?

How much fab work can you do? How long do you want your 914 on jackstands?

Elliot Cannon
I have the same bad popping noise when I shift but it's usually my left knee. lol-2.gif
VaccaRabite
Hold on a tick.

If there is "lots of play" when you shove the wheel around, that indicated other problems The wheel should have nearly zero side to side play. Hard to shift COULD be other things as well.

1) check your rear wheel bearings. if they are breaking up, they will make noise and give you the play that you are talking about. You want to make positive that they are good, and what you are describing sounds to me like they are not. Not fixing them could lead to extreme badness.

Now assume it is the transmission, after you have fixed/inspected the other problems. Why spend several hundreds on parts for a tranny that may have been fine - and the noise you heard was a trashed bearing.

Also, if the Ring and Pinion is shot, get a good core tranny and rebuild that. Don't spend thousands on the new parts... thats crazy talk! smile.gif

Zach
tat2dphreak
check your rear wheel bearings

agree.gif

I had a wheel bearing heading south on my old car and it would clunk at left turns or accell some times... sounds very similar to what you are describing.

the other part where you are saying it's hard to shift into first sounds all too familiar too.. could be that brake-band in the tranny... try this... before putting it into reverse or first... put it into 2nd, then down in to first in a fairly-quick motion.... if it gets smoother to transition like that, then welcome to the club smile.gif
914fun
I went out this morning and raised the back tires off the ground. There is no movement when I try to giggle the wheel. Bearings seem to be very good. when I roll the wheel in the direction that would move the car forward, I hear metal slapping metal but rolling back the other way there is no noise. as I was doing this I was laying with my head close the the rear of the trans so i could watch the universal joints. It all moved as it should. I heard the clanking noise happening at the very rear of the trans. I have not tried the shifting thing yet cuz I have not got it to start yet. I have to retard the timing to start it and advance it so it will not miss to bad. I know I own a piece of crap. Been sinking money into it for 2 years and its still crap. Sorry getting frustrated. mad.gif
tat2dphreak
Been sinking money into it for 2 years and its still crap. Sorry getting frustrated.

understood... I've had mine for 6 years and it's still a piece some times smile.gif but any day I drive it and nothing breaks... that's a good day smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Oh, I guess I misinterpreted your prior post. Sounds like badness in the transmission then. sad.gif

Pull yours out. You do not need to drop the engine to do it. Look up Dr Evils post on pulling the gear stack. Its not hard. Take pics and report back.

Zach
RJMII
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56892

There's the thread on pulling your stack. That would probably be best.

Pay attention to how many metal shavings are in the oil when you drain it, too.
Katmanken
I'm almost thinking the pinion shaft is moving back and forth in response to the wheel movement, and maybe a damaged rear pinion shaft bearing. sad.gif

Dr. Evil would know.

That might equate to popping sounds when the rear pinion bearing is loaded.

Drained and checked your tranny oil lately? Usually crapping tranny parts show up as small bits of metal attached to the drain plug magnet and flakes in the oil..
914fun
Wow! finely got it running again, Crap! still missing. Anyway that will be something ells i will ask about latter. I have not drained the trans yet just been keeping it full. Ive been reading up on how to get the trans, out without pulling motor. I dont have a garage or I would be ok with pulling the whole thing. Its very cool all the ideas that have been given. I love this site. Most likely end up sending it to the Dr. With my limited knowledge Im uneasy digging into myself.
Dr Evil
Yikes, it sounds like possibly multiple things. All of the badness is in the gear box if the bearings, CVs, transmission mounts, and engine mounts have been ruled out. The noise can actually be the drive train shifting, but you said it makes it with you hand turning your wheels so it is likely in the box.

I look forward to your PM. I will get you hooked up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.