Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Craigslist Screwed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I had an agreement with the seller to purchase the wheels and someone offered him more money after I had driven 1.4 hours one way to pick them up and paid a bridge toll! When I got there he said he couldn't sell them that cheep! I feel that when a seller says that the price is firm, and confirms that he will not negociate it, that it is a done deal!!? I know you guys want this stuff and I do too but come on I spent 1/2 the day to get this deal and someone from here said he could get way more if they sold them to them! It cost me $$$ just to drive out!!

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Rant over!

I will remember this! What goes around comes around!! bootyshake.gif
Dr Evil
That is BS. I hope it is not someone here. Bad form. dry.gif

Been there.
DanT
were they the 5 listed for $150. I got a reply from the guy, but is sounded like a lot of folks were interested in them...
I understand your frustration....
but when something is listed so low, it doesn't surprise me that someone over bid you. The guy should have at least called you.........
still stinks
Jeffs9146
The Bay Area has the most members and they tend to be the most agressive so I am sure, based on what the seller said, that they are a member here!! I give deals all day long and I live up to my commitments! I sold a factory set of Fuchs 15x7 & 15x8's with new tires for $600 the other day! Someone would have paid me way more, and I knew that when I set the price, but I committed and that is the deal!!
Jeffs9146
were they the 5 listed for $150. I got a reply from the guy, but is sounded like a lot of folks were interested in them...
I understand your frustration....
but when something is listed so low, it doesn't surprise me that someone over bid you. The guy should have at least called you.........
still stinks

Yep, I would have negociated on the phone but don't make me drive for 3 hours (in the rain), cross a toll bridge and send me home empty handed!!

It's just wrong!!
Dr Evil
Ya, I wouldnt post about stuff like that until they are in your hands. There are unscrupulous people out there sad.gif
dw914er
if it's pending as you drive, you have to wait till it falls through to take another offer

just bad form, especially if you drive out so far. It happens though sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 1 2010, 01:52 AM) *

The Bay Area has the most members and they tend to be the most agressive so I am sure, based on what the seller said, that they are a member here!! I give deals all day long and I live up to my commitments! I sold a factory set of Fuchs 15x7 & 15x8's with new tires for $600 the other day! Someone would have paid me way more, and I knew that when I set the price, but I committed and that is the deal!!

If you offer another deal on wheels that size, please call me direct. Thanks, Mark Epstein Mark@MarkEpstein.net 302.355.0684
carr914
Jeff, it seems to me that your beef should be with the douchebag selling the wheels
tradisrad
was this the guy in Belmont? I too tried to get the wheels, but he never responded and left his AD on CL all day. I figured that the wheels were spoken for after the first minute on CL. I bet the guy was inundated with emails and figured that he was selling too cheap.
Sorry to hear you drove so far.
tat2dphreak
The guy should have at least called you.........

agree.gif

he should have told the other buyer to wait and see if the deal falls through...

CL is not an auction... I sold some things on CL a couple years back and a guy agreed to buy it, and scheduled to come pick it up hat weekend. within a hour or 2 I got several emails and calls offering more money. I told them they would be in line, but I had already committed to the sell... yes, I realized I set the price a little too low.... but I wasn't going to renege on the agreement... it's first come first serve, imo.
zymurgist
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 1 2010, 11:06 AM) *

I told them they would be in line, but I had already committed to the sell... yes, I realized I set the price a little too low.... but I wasn't going to renege on the agreement... it's first come first serve, imo.

agree.gif

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, as they say.
Michael N
I couldn't even get a reply. I guess that is better than driving and finding nothing.
EdwardBlume
Ha ha. We all tried for those wheels... bootyshake.gif It sucks that the greed factor set in.... but I'll bet someone here is the guilty party.... KMA.gif
DanT
the guy must have had at least half of the Norcal guys contact him about those wheels...
still not good form on his part...
tradisrad
I can go egg his house if it will make us feel better.
Ferg
Seller is at fault on this one...

I drove out last night to meet a craigslist seller who had 911 headlights for sale, $150. Didn't state usa sugar scoops or H4 euro in the ad so I called him hoping to get lucky.

I sent him two pics showing the difference and called him. After he confirmed that they were indeed H4's I was way excited. Drove out to meet him, you guessed it, USA lights... chair.gif

smontanaro
I've never sold Porsche stuff on CL, but I have sold other stuff which I realized within minutes after advertising that I priced too low. In those cases I just bit the bullet and sold to the first person to commit to purchase them, even after receiving other emails from people offering me more. I figure I'm the loser who didn't know the true value of what I was selling and I'm the guy who should get screwed.

S
strawman
Two weekends ago, I found an ad on Craigslist for a Borla SS Subaru WRX header for $200. I talked to him on the phone and specifically asked if it came from a turbo car and he said yes. I drove almost two hours in the rain to Modesto, and sure enough they were for a non-turbo Impreza RS. He said "Oh, I guess you could modify it." I almost yanked the little fella out and pissed on his leg.

The silver lining is that I stopped at four Targets and one WalMart on the way home, and found three Matchbox 914s...
montoya 73 2.0
That is so wrong on so many levels!
JRust
I agree you got to be pissed at the seller. Guy that bought them didn't really do anything wrong. Depending on what the seller said to him. Sounds like the seller just opened it up to the highest bidder. When buying anything on craigslist. You gotta plan on the people not knowing a damn thing about anything 914. Like this car has no rust dry.gif I don't know how many times I have driven out to see a garage quenn RUSTED PIECE OF $HIT! Yes the battery tray is still there & how it came from the factoy confused24.gif What with that angle iron on there? Oh thats not how it came headbang.gif

Back to the guy selling. Unless I am physically there I don't count on jack. Had this happen way to many times. Sometimes you can trust the person on the phone. I can see the flip side too. I've sold plenty of things on craigslist to people. I'll be down in 2 hours with the cash. Can you hold it for me? Sure & they never show or call again dry.gif
brp986s
BTET - been there, experienced that. 20 years ago a guy was selling his 914-6. We met. I test drove it. We negotiated and agreed on a price. It was not some screaming deal. We agreed to meet the next day to transact. I took a day of vacation to go to the bank. Money in hand, I call him telling him I'm on my way. Message on his answering machine "If you're the guy coming to pick up the car, it's been sold". No sorry, no nuthin'. A rather surely and indifferent tone to boot. In PP transactions expect zero integrity, or atleast don't be surprised by it.
Mike Bellis
Check Zach's thread... He's the one
boxstr
I agree your gripe is with the seller. He is the one to rant and rave about.
Just my $2 worth.
CCLATCAMP
Mikey914
The seller is clearly at fault here. If he promised to hold them then he should have. From a legal standpoint there was no contract as consideration had not been recieved form you. I have advertised stuff on craigslist and had people want to have me hold stuff for them.

The simple way is to either say first to show up will get it.

I've held stuff before for guys that never show up, leave me the number, I'll call you if some one beats you to it.
EdwardBlume
IMHO your character is worth more than a few bucks.... biggrin.gif
DBCooper
Exactly the same thing happened to me Wednesday, here in Houston. Guy with a wrecked Buell, needed parts that I have in the garage. I confirmed I was on my way and when I got there the buyer had just left. He offered $200 over the asking price, the guy agreed.

I called the seller an asshule, but truthfully I understand what he did. I've sold enough things on Craig's List to know that maybe one in ten people who say they're on the way over ever show up. So in practice the rule ends up being first one there with the money. Not a good rule of course, but that's how it works. Thing is that they STILL have to call before they bang the gavel. No excuse not to. Or they're asshules.
DanT
old saying.............

"money talks and Bull stromberg.gif walks" biggrin.gif

that my friends is the story of Craigslist........
Joe Bob
Post the name and contact of the seller.....we'll take it from there.
Katmanken
You need to resolve the problem in the appropriate way.

Wiffle bats, at 20 paces....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.