Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 hybrid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Many of us have talked about a diesel conversion into our cars, and I am all for that innovation just to see how it would go, but diesel is often looked at as evil and not all places carry it. Plus, lets face it, it reaks. So, on my way home today I noticed something that any one of you unconventional car nut would have also noticed, a Prius that had its ass handed to it, but the front was in perfect shape. happy11.gif The wheels start a turning and I go to see what is up. I may be able to get the engine, drive train and electrical doo dads for a song! At first I considered the Prius to be kinda fey, but with its guts in a 914, I would have the best commuter car out there. At least it would be unique. It would not be right away. I would store the guts at a friends place just outside of town to await when I have time and another recipient. happy11.gif I wonder if I could make it scream? The Prius has a curb weight of 2765lb. I bet with some diet treatment to the recipient roller, the resulting car woudl only weigh about 2100 if that. I like it better than an all electric. I am gonna talk to the guy later today and finalize negotiations. Like I need another project to divert my thoughts, but I could not pass this up.
busmech
A 914 with a sticking throttle? Being a front wheel drive car would make the swap very hard and with the electrical headaches, plus battery locations would be a very large challange. But it would be one of a kind.
ClayPerrine
Learn how a CAN bus works, and you probably have to get the whole car! . You will need all the computers, as they all talk to each other. Plus you have to get all the batts and the wiring, the engine.....

Not an easy task... and I think most of the Prius' weight is in the batteries.

KELTY360
I smell a calendar centric obfuscation. KMA.gif
Katmanken
Hmm, still got that Diesel Hoopty-Benz????

I think you ought to take the Pious guts and put them in there.

Just think, you could take a slow, foul smelling diesel, and convert it to a green clean Sleeper machine...

And, with the sudden (sometimes un-intended) acceleration of the Sleeper Diesel with Pious guts, you could surprise the heck outa Mustangs, Porsches, Ferarris at the stoplights, and really show them your manly DIESEL badge on the trunk....

Either that or turbo the Pious engine in a 914.
URY914
Maybe we can get Al Gore to join.....
messix
i bet you could get completed by 4/1/2012!!!
happy11.gif
Larouex
I love a good April Fools Joke! Thanks Doctor, that one made me laugh.

Larouex
EdwardBlume
agree.gif I think its a joke...
Dr Evil
Ya, I just went and worked on my bus instead wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(busmech @ Apr 1 2010, 02:17 AM) *

Being a front wheel drive car would make the swap very hard

How so?

Wouldn't a front engine swap be a perfect candidate for a mid-engine car?
idea.gif Andy
Porcharu
That would be a 914 without a soul. If there has ever been a car without a soul it's a prius - the transportation appliance. barf.gif Even an old Dodge Dart slant six still had some sort a feel to it.
Dr Evil
agree.gif When we all eventually have to move to electric, it will be a sad day indeed. sad.gif I love internal combustion engines.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2010, 11:34 PM) *

agree.gif When we all eventually have to move to electric, it will be a sad day indeed. sad.gif I love internal combustion engines.

Your ass is an internal comustion engine! icon8.gif
Dr Evil
I am legend!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.