Full Version: Kiesel Turbo Sprite.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
ghuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBVVssJwx2Y

drooley.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(ghuff @ Apr 1 2010, 09:45 AM) *

The reason you wont see any e mod 914's winning Nationals any time soon.
ghuff
That car is ridiculous.
Joe Ricard
Word. Craziest thing I've seen that once was a real car.

Of course you gotta have skillz to drive such a monster.
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 1 2010, 10:32 AM) *

Word. Craziest thing I've seen that once was a real car.

Of course you gotta have skillz to drive such a monster.

Perfect solution for the class.

His minumim weight with driver is something like 1700# and the twin turbo only penalizes him 1.4 over 2X the displacement.

So the guy can run a 1500# car with 350hp, maybe more. I'd say he found a sweet spot.

Britain Smith
Yep. I have always wondered how my 914 would do with that amount of power! Gotta build a supercharged 911 engine.

-Britain
Rand
Article with a couple pics:
http://www.rogues-racing.com/jeff-kiesel-2...ional-champion/
Randal
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Apr 1 2010, 12:01 PM) *

Yep. I have always wondered how my 914 would do with that amount of power! Gotta build a supercharged 911 engine.

-Britain

So you'd have to be be running a twin turbo 2.2 (and a bit) to stay under the 3200 OHC limit with the 1.4 multiplier. Twin turbo's would surely put out 300 or 350 hp, so very competitive.

And we know the guy who could build one... but hopefully faster than the last turbo motor. smile.gif

The only problem would be weight, with the Sprites (at 1600#), if I'm reading the rules correctly.

So maybe they have a 100# advantage.... nothing a good 914 driver couldn't overcome.

References:
page 139 - SCCA rule book

5. For weight designations in EM, Mazda rotary engines are compared
to the piston engines listed (i.e., 3.2L OHC vs. 4.5L OHV).
13B rotary engines should be equated to the 3.2L OHC engines.
13B forced-induction rotary engines (1308cc x 2 x 1.4 = 3662cc)
and all 3-rotor engines shall be grouped with vehicles required to
meet the stated 1800 lb. minimum weight

page 224
MODIFIED CLASS E (EM)
Modifi ed Production and GT cars as follows:
A. Weight (with driver) vs. Displacement
Piston engines up to & including 3200 cc OHC: 1700 lbs
Piston engines up to & including 4500 cc pushrod/OHV: 1700 lbs
2-rotor rotary engines w/ unrestricted porting: 1700 lbs
Piston engines unlimited displacement: 1800 lbs
3-rotor rotary engines w/ unrestricted porting: 1 800 lbs
B. Performance Adjustments
AWD: Add 300 lbs
Modifi ed Tub: Add 50 lbs
C. Weight Bias Adjustment - with driver sitting in the driver’s seat
RWD w/ less than 51% weight on drive wheels: Deduct 50 lb
FWD: Deduct 50 lb
MODIFIED CLASS F
championgt1
That is fricken sweet! aktion035.gif
Thorshammer

The fastest E Mod 914 I have ever seen was built by Bill Crescenzo of Force Racing in Kansas City. The car had double a-arm front suspension, a 2.4 liter supercharged engine with fuel injection (modified Bosch), and the HP output was 325 ish, with an audi automatic (no shit). He ran the car, and so did several other people (Bert Swift, Matt Snow), and I think its best finish was in the late 80's or early 90s (3rd). This was against Temandi's rotary Sprite.

Bills company used to advertise in Pano, his ad was "Can you upshift hard and fast" and he provided synchro modifications for 901 and 915 gearboxes. He is now a master clock maker but still has the car. It can be done, but it would take a supercharged engine and radical use of fiberglass or carbon fiber. Honestly, I think Crescenzo's car was very well developed, but you could do something much better with today's technology.

Erik Madsen
J P Stein

A supercharged 3.0 or 3.2ss would do the trick....Got money?
The vid shows me that the Sprite is a point & squirt car. He's catchable.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 1 2010, 08:42 PM) *

So is the CC limit 3200 for an OHC or something higher? Whatever that number is you have to subtract the 1.4 penalty, so if 3200 is the number, than that looked to be about a 2.2 liter 6.

Just bolt on two turbos like a 930 configuration and now you got 400hp.

I agree with you on the driving.
grantsfo
Again why not a Mazda TT? Conversion plate exists. Then build real suspension. You could easily get to same weight as the Sprite. Or how about 400 HP Subi motor?
ghuff
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 1 2010, 07:42 PM) *

I noticed that as well, point and shoot for sure. BUT when he did shoot, did you see how fast that thing accelerated? I daily drive a 2800-3000lb car with 300-400whp and the horizon does not blur like that for me.

That turbo rotary was like a rocket, and he did not even have to come out of gear due to the high rev limit........

I want to know what kind of power he is making, and how far up high he carries it on the tach.

My concern with a piston motor of higher displacement is the gobs of torque which usually ends up with wheelspin. Rotaries, and honda motors have less issues with that because they rev high and produce their torque via gears vs. raw motor.

Rotary 914? stirthepot.gif
Rand
QUOTE(ghuff @ Apr 2 2010, 06:49 AM) *

I want to know what kind of power he is making, and how far up high he carries it on the tach.

Article below says 370hp at the wheels. Car is 1810lbs with driver. I would guess that motor is good for 9k on the tach, but doesn't sound like he's turning it quite that fast.

http://getintoracing.info/2010/01/jeff-kie...o-3109-el-toro/
jhadler
Jeff's sprite is a terrifying thing of simplistic beauty. I still loved Tamandli's Fiero though. Basically, a V8 powered Formula Atlantic chassis with a one-piece fiberglass Fiero shell over the top of it. You could visibly see the thing accelerate from a 1/4 mile away.

Amazing what cubic dollars multiplied by time can create...

-Josh2
byndbad914
he has what I have and think is key - so much power he never has to shift biggrin.gif even tho' I can slam gears with the sequential now, I still do all I can to rely on momentum and torque to get out of corners v. downshift.

At Willow Springs with the 930 trans (read that as broad and high gearing) I would run the whole track in 3rd gear except the long sweeper and front stretch I would go into 4th to get over 140mph. Out here in CO I ran Pueblo in 2nd gear and only 3rd for the front stretch. Makes life really easy shades.gif
jhadler
It's not _just_ the power though. It's that he has a stratospheric redline compared to conventional reciprocating engines. Once he gets on it, he doesn't have to worry about grabbing another gear. In E-Mod and classes like that, the cars tend to follow the simple power philosophy of "laying rubber". If the car can lay down two black streaks of rubber from the exit of one turn to the entrance of the next, then it has enough power. But point-n-shoot won't do it without a suspension under the car, and Kiesel car has a real suspension in it.

The Tunnell machine has absurd power (latest estimates I recall were in the neighborhood of 600+). So much so that the car spends very little time at WOT on a given run.

Expect Bob to give him a run sooner or later. That car only gets faster as time goes on. He was the only one within spitting distance of the Kiesel car last year.

As for an E-Mod 914? I think you gotta forget Porsche power. Street Mod though, there's a podium spot to a killer 914 for anyone willing to drop an absurd amount of money on a monster 914-6. I'm thinking supercharged 3.6 or the like, a gearbox like Tim's, and a stupid amount of money in a redesigned suspension.

-Josh2
grantsfo
QUOTE(jhadler @ Apr 2 2010, 01:04 PM) *

It's not _just_ the power though. It's that he has a stratospheric redline compared to conventional reciprocating engines. Once he gets on it, he doesn't have to worry about grabbing another gear. In E-Mod and classes like that, the cars tend to follow the simple power philosophy of "laying rubber". If the car can lay down two black streaks of rubber from the exit of one turn to the entrance of the next, then it has enough power. But point-n-shoot won't do it without a suspension under the car, and Kiesel car has a real suspension in it.

The Tunnell machine has absurd power (latest estimates I recall were in the neighborhood of 600+). So much so that the car spends very little time at WOT on a given run.

Expect Bob to give him a run sooner or later. That car only gets faster as time goes on. He was the only one within spitting distance of the Kiesel car last year.

As for an E-Mod 914? I think you gotta forget Porsche power. Street Mod though, there's a podium spot to a killer 914 for anyone willing to drop an absurd amount of money on a monster 914-6. I'm thinking supercharged 3.6 or the like, a gearbox like Tim's, and a stupid amount of money in a redesigned suspension.

-Josh2

Yep I agree. Far better suspension on that car than most 914 we have seen at autocross events. Kiesel just knows how to drive to get fastest times. His style is focused on getting power down.
mskala
Slightly off the topic, but the video is using the Chase acceleration
overlay but it is clearly not aligned with the car at all! or you'd be
better able to tell what kind of grip he gets. (Also the overlay is
poor compared to my design but I wasn't allowed to sell it to him smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(mskala @ Apr 2 2010, 06:46 PM) *

Slightly off the topic, but the video is using the Chase acceleration
overlay but it is clearly not aligned with the car at all! or you'd be
better able to tell what kind of grip he gets. (Also the overlay is
poor compared to my design but I wasn't allowed to sell it to him smile.gif

Your design? Tell me more.
grantsfo
We are going to have several data aquistion boxes floating around. My car may get one. It would be cool to get one on his car to see what his car does.
sean_v8_914
we ran the 10jereen against him at teh Q last month. acceleration is brutal. no gear changes. 10k, no problem. beat us by 6 sec, ouch. damn thing jumps to light speed every time he squirts it. works for/ with goodyear. I was told 450hp by someone in his trailer. calling that a Sprite is like calling Mistaks GT-1 car a 914
mskala
This is a sample. I have different configurations with x/y/z
acceleration up to 9G and 5Hz GPS for Speed, Altitude,
Latitude/Longitude, and date and UTC time display. Also up
to 4 cameras in various configurations. I just don't have
all the pieces or I could loan you a setup for the heck of it.
ghuff
So who is going to do it? I have too many projects already and want to keep the 914 I have now aircooled and clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koE5er4FB8k

Look at that, and it is a plain old 13b.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KjtWU1TBfk&NR=1
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 2 2010, 02:32 PM) *

Yep I agree. Far better suspension on that car than most 914 we have seen at autocross events. Kiesel just knows how to drive to get fastest times. His style is focused on getting power down.

Uh, you mean like the live axle in back?
ghuff
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 10 2010, 12:40 PM) *

Are we sure it is still live axle?

It looks like it does well for an ox cart.
J P Stein
QUOTE(ghuff @ Apr 14 2010, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 10 2010, 12:40 PM) *

Are we sure it is still live axle?

It looks like it does well for an ox cart.

Brit lkooked at it & said it's narrowed up like a AA fueler's.
brilliantrot
The entire car is super narrow. It is only ~5' wide.
McMark
That's one crazy car. ohmy.gif I would love to see build pictures.

Oh, and if you are interested, here's what literally literally means. lol-2.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 15 2010, 07:58 AM) *

That's one crazy car. ohmy.gif I would love to see build pictures.

Oh, and if you are interested, here's what literally literally means. lol-2.gif

No.

smash.gif

That is a judges hammer btw, this is the internet and I say so.

Sorry, that is rape in autocross form. Quite aware of what each word means.
ghuff
IPB Image
fd_racer
QUOTE(jhadler @ Apr 2 2010, 12:04 PM) *

-Josh2

Here are the results from Nationals this year......
http://scca.com/documents/resultfiles/Results%20TeWw5.pdf

And the PAXed results as well...
http://sccaforums.com/forums/storage/16/43...X-RTP.Final.pdf
sean_v8_914
ya'll need to see it live to really appreciate the rubber band launch that happens every time he squirts that thing.
I agree w Brit: he can be caught
brilliantrot
Ya Sean but that is true for anyone. Either out spend them or out drive them. There is probably somewhere around $150k and 5 years of development in that car though so it ain't going to be easy.
fd_racer
QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Nov 27 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Ya Sean but that is true for anyone. Either out spend them or out drive them. There is probably somewhere around $150k and 5 years of development in that car though so it ain't going to be easy.

Try 60k total and this is the 4th year now.... Still more work to be done, car is still not finished....

Anyone can be caught, hopefully the off season will be good to us (with all the new changes)..... BTW I do all of my own design and fab work (all of it, except sheet metal).....

FYI this car has lateral grip too, it pulls peaks of 2.25 and sustained of 1.7-1.9 depending on conditions, that is through the Motec logger. Even the DM cars could not catch us (the DM cars are between 1280-1400 pounds with driver). The old videos I have online with the G data were before the car was as fast as it is now, I turned the G meter off so no one else can see our info.......

Our car weighed in at 1827 with me at nationals and I had the boost set to make around 350 hp to the wheels (peak it will make around 380).

I bought this car in 2006 and raced it pretty much the way it was when I bought it at the 2007 nationals (I only did eye candy, paint, bodywork, ect)..

2008 switched over to Goodyear Tires (best change I ever made) put in the aluminum turbo 2 rotor (100 pounds lighter than the 3 rotor), redesigned the front suspension, put penske shock on it, changed roll centers, race tranny and a bunch of small things (ended up with 45/55 weight)

2009 completely redesigned rear suspension and made the rear back 1/2 lift off carbon fiber, more tweeks to the suspension and small things here and there.

2010 new light weight carbon fiber front end (old fiberglass/bondo one was 23 pounds heavier) moved the motor back in the chassis 10" and over 2" (towards pass side) redesigned/relocated every single item (fuel tank, battery, oil tank, intercooler, radiator, oil cooler, ect) to get the balance perfect (41/59 F/R, 50/50 S/S). Did dif testing (had the dif in and out 10-15 times this year tuning it). A ton of chassis set up. This last off season motor/everything move lol took me 260 hours (I did all the mock ups, fab, install, everything just like normal)..

2011 I have a few off season projects lined up now and I think some time will be gained by the changes.......

Kiesel
jd74914
Jeff,

Beautiful Sprite! Those are crazy lateral G's.

For those of us on the right coast, do you have any pictures of the car?

Jim
fd_racer
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 28 2010, 06:51 PM) *

Jeff,

Beautiful Sprite! Those are crazy lateral G's.

For those of us on the right coast, do you have any pictures of the car?

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Yeah here are a few along with info on the build:
http://7parts.com/jeffkiesel.html
I have the motor out now (it let go, sucked somthing through it), I was planning on doing a walk around video of the car (once it is back together and I redesign the intercooler system)...

Have any of you guys gone to a water to air I/C system? I am looking at the Lindsey racing one, anyone used it? This one:
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/INTERCOOLERTUBES.html

Kiesel
byndbad914
wow, that little "Sprite" (hey, I call my car a "914" biggrin.gif ) is a pretty cool setup! 80" wheelbase (WB)... that thing must really rotate, great for AX for sure. Long WB stability is only necessary for high speeds, that short WB is awesome for the intended use. Somebody needs to shorten the WB up on a 914 then section it down the middle and narrow it up a bit welder.gif

Again, cool car.
Chris Pincetich
Thanks for sharing the real info on your Sprite beerchug.gif
grantsfo
Its an awesome car. I gained healthy respect for Sprites back in 80's when I crewed on Nationals winning production class Bugeye. This Emod car goes far beyond what we could do in production class and the 400 HP whizzer doesnt hurt either.

Loved watching your car at Marina this year. Its just one sick machine.

I like your endorsement of Good Years - dont hear that often on this forum. In warmer weather I have to agree they made a big difference for me too. Although Im hooked on Avons for cool weather events. I wonder if we might see more Avons at San Diego National tour if weather is cool. My car definitely had a tire advantage to beat Toby's BMW and codriver in FP on first day down there. I had lots of people coming to me asking about those stickers.

I hope Brit drags his new subie powered 914 to San Diego next year. Would love to see some fast Prepared Porsches keeping everyone honest.
fd_racer
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 1 2010, 01:32 AM) *

Its an awesome car. I gained healthy respect for Sprites back in 80's when I crewed on Nationals winning production class Bugeye. This Emod car goes far beyond what we could do in production class and the 400 HP whizzer doesnt hurt either.

I like your endorsement of Good Years - dont hear that often on this forum. In warmer weather I have to agree they made a big difference for me too. Although Im hooked on Avons for cool weather events. I wonder if we might see more Avons at San Diego National tour if weather is cool. My car definitely had a tire advantage to beat Toby's BMW and codriver in FP on first day down there. I had lots of people coming to me asking about those stickers.

I hope Brit drags his new subie powered 914 to San Diego next year. Would love to see some fast Prepared Porsches keeping everyone honest.

I can say the SD tour will be a must... I am this years course designer (I did last years as well). It will be a blast for sure and we will have some other entertainment lined up to make sure everyone has a great time..

Goodyear will have some of the larger tires in the softer compounds some day, but I can tell you I will take a little harder tire with amazing construction any day over a poorly constructed soft tire........

Kiesel
jjackson
Are you running the radial or the bias ply.We have not run Good Years since our canti-lever days.Always looking for additional speed.Thanks for posting info on our forum.I've only seen your car run at 09 and 10 nationals.Absolutely a joy to watch! J.
grantsfo
QUOTE(fd_racer @ Dec 6 2010, 03:20 PM) *

I can say the SD tour will be a must... I am this years course designer (I did last years as well). It will be a blast for sure and we will have some other entertainment lined up to make sure everyone has a great time..

Goodyear will have some of the larger tires in the softer compounds some day, but I can tell you I will take a little harder tire with amazing construction any day over a poorly constructed soft tire........

Kiesel

I have run R250 good Year and A15 Compound Avons back to back on same cold surface. The A15 Avons have a real advantage first few turns at cold events over R 250 Good Years. Avons dont need to be warm to stick. Overall construction of the Avons is impressive but then you pay quite a bit more for Avons. Good Years clearly have the best construction of all the Bias Plys I have used but R250 is just too hard for early season events especially here in Nor Cal. However Avons come up short if weather gets much over 70 degrees.

Next year I will probably have two sets of wheels one with R250's and other with A15 compounds for cold days and single driver PCA events.
jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 13 2010, 04:27 PM) *

Kiesel

I have run R250 good Year and A15 Compound Avons back to back on same cold surface. The A15 Avons have a real advantage first few turns at cold events over R 250 Good Years. Avons dont need to be warm to stick. Overall construction of the Avons is impressive but then you pay quite a bit more for Avons. Good Years clearly have the best construction of all the Bias Plys I have used but R250 is just too hard for early season events especially here in Nor Cal. However Avons come up short if weather gets much over 70 degrees.

Next year I will probably have two sets of wheels one with R250's and other with A15 compounds for cold days and single driver PCA events.

jjackson
QUOTE(jjackson @ Dec 14 2010, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 13 2010, 04:27 PM) *

Kiesel

We have never run any avons , but definitely looking for a cold day single driver set up.Looked at Sasco for supplier and did not see any softer compounds available in sizes that work for us.Are you ordering direct?What sizes have you tested?We have 16 X 10 set and several sets of fuchs in 15s.Any help would be greatl;y appreciated.J
brilliantrot
I co-drove the car with Grant at the SD NT and we ran the 11/23.5-16" size on 16x10" wheels square. The A15 compounds were pretty darn impressive from the get go but don't like to get hot at all. Avon has a pretty wide selection of sizes http://www.avonracing.com/car_page.aspx
stewteral
QUOTE(ghuff @ Apr 10 2010, 11:19 AM) *

So who is going to do it? I have too many projects already and want to keep the 914 I have now aircooled and clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koE5er4FB8k

Look at that, and it is a plain old 13b.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KjtWU1TBfk&NR=1

Hey ghuff,

VERY NICE rotary conversion! It is so neat and tidy, it looks professional. Do you have an idea of the HP you have?

I have a V-8 conversion and made my own outlet grill in the front hood, but if I knew about the one you used, I would have gone that way. Can you tell me where that very tidy grill came from?

I saw the CA plate on the car and from your video, I'm guessing the east side of LA area.....some where like Monrovia. Am I close?

Best,
Terry
grantsfo
QUOTE(jjackson @ Dec 14 2010, 07:36 PM) *

We have never run any avons , but definitely looking for a cold day single driver set up.Looked at Sasco for supplier and did not see any softer compounds available in sizes that work for us.Are you ordering direct?What sizes have you tested?We have 16 X 10 set and several sets of fuchs in 15s.Any help would be greatl;y appreciated.J

I get them from Roger Kraus Racing. He orders a container load of Avons about once a quarter. He can get anything Avon makes. A15 is compound I run.

http://rogerkrausracing.com/pages/pricing.html

Think it says something about these soft Avon tires when Evan beat guy who placed 4th in this years Nationals in poorly prepared and underpowered FP Boxster at his first SCCA event ever. Big part of that was his driving but I know our soft Avon tires were an advantage as weather was overcast and cool. I had lots of inquiries that weekend about those tires. As Evan indicates these tires get a little squirely towards end of a run if weather starts to get warm. Funny as hell because we both experienced better grip our first runs than subsequent runs. They truly stick when they are cold. I run a lot of events on ice cold cement and they are great
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.