Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need ideas!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mskinner
So my 914 is in great shape except for the windshield frame is bent. This fact and the fact that buying a new windshield in the Kansas area is seemingly impossible. I am looking for ideas on removing the windshield frame and replacing it with some sort of faring or whatever you suggest. What has been done before? And what looks good? Any ideas would be a huge help. Thanks.
736conver
QUOTE(mskinner @ Apr 1 2010, 12:08 PM) *

So my 914 is in great shape except for the windshield frame is bent. This fact and the fact that buying a new windshield in the Kansas area is seemingly impossible. I am looking for ideas on removing the windshield frame and replacing it with some sort of faring or whatever you suggest. What has been done before? And what looks good? Any ideas would be a huge help. Thanks.

I dont have an answer for you but

welcome.png
pcar916
All glass shops can get these windshields in German, PPG, or chinese versions at various prices. Can you send a pic of the frame showing the bend?
mskinner
Every glass shop I called in the area, and that was probably 20 or so, said that none of their suppliers could get one. I didn't think it would be this frustrating. I am out of town for a few days so I can't take a picture. I think I can probably fix the windshield frame, but don't want to expend the effort if I cannot get a windshield for it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mskinner @ Apr 1 2010, 10:14 AM) *

Every glass shop I called in the area, and that was probably 20 or so, said that none of their suppliers could get one. I didn't think it would be this frustrating. I am out of town for a few days so I can't take a picture. I think I can probably fix the windshield frame, but don't want to expend the effort if I cannot get a windshield for it.

Windshields are in stock in mass at the regular 914 suppliers so are never a problem. The problem is the windshield frame, but with good measurements available from the guys on this site, any bodyman can straighten the frame for you DON"T CUT THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!! We can all guide you through the repair and windshield replacement.
SUNAB914
There's a guy on ebay that sells beautiful windshields for $195 plus shipping. I think it was $100.00 shipping. Greatly packaged also.
Good luck
mskinner
I guess I just need to save $600 to get a windshield shipped to me huh?
mskinner
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Apr 1 2010, 12:26 PM) *

There's a guy on ebay that sells beautiful windshields for $195 plus shipping. I think it was $100.00 shipping. Greatly packaged also.
Good luck

Now that is not a bad price.
mskinner

Good luck

Do you have his information? I couldn't find it on Ebay.
davep
I agree that the frame should be repaired without cutting if possible.
The one trick to installing the glass is to make sure it sits deep enough, and centered, that the trim will go on correctly. The glass sits below the level of the frame.

I have seen one car that the owner cut the frame off flush with the cowl, then engineered a pin system the same as the 356 Speedster to be able to install the glass when required, or otherwise run with a Ginther windscreen. This was on a race car, that was never street driven: 9140430033
Katmanken
I think the shipping is what kills you and the $100 shipping sounds way too low.

Tried the Porsche Dealer or AA? I know that people can get them from either source.
mskinner
QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 1 2010, 12:50 PM) *

I think the shipping is what kills you and the $100 shipping sounds way too low.

Tried the Porsche Dealer or AA? I know that people can get them from either source.

I did try my local dealer and they gave me the run around. Talked to 4 different people and never got an answer if I could still order one. AA has them but to get it shipped to me it would cost over $500. Hoping their is a better option than that. Wish I lived in SoCal. Seems they are all over down their.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mskinner @ Apr 1 2010, 10:31 AM) *

Good luck

If this is that 356devotion guy - don't bother! A lot of members here have had problems with him & his stuff being crap, so he's now banned from this site IIRC.

welcome.png
mskinner
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 1 2010, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(mskinner @ Apr 1 2010, 10:31 AM) *

Good luck

If this is that 356devotion guy - don't bother! A lot of members here have had problems with him & his stuff being crap, so he's now banned from this site IIRC.

welcome.png

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.
r_towle
Richard Tankel

--------------------
ProSource Glass International
PO Box 996
Andover, MA 01810
Tel:877-345-2800
978-975-5400
Fax:978-975-5300
email:richardt@prosourceglassintl.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.