Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As requested, 6k mile 72 coming soon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
I have just bought a 72 with 6k miles on it. The owner wrecked it just after buying it and let it sit since then.

The VIN is 4722901087, the color is green (so am I, so I don't know the name of the color), there is a lot that was taken off of the car before I got there, so I don't know if this thread will help anybody, but I will be happy to check anything out if anybody has any questions regarding originality.

It still has the original battery in it, and the last oil change sticker from the porsche dealership. I will get some pics up as soon as it gets delivered to my garage.

I am trying to decide whether to try and sell it as a wrecked low mile roller, or cut it up and crush it, so please chime in. I don't have space (or patience on the part of the GF) to keep it, so I really just got it for a couple of parts that I needed, and also I couldn't pass up a 6k mile 914.
ghuff
In for pics.

Hell one of the wreck masters on here, such as Rick ollah may be able to fix the shell.
jmill
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 1 2010, 07:01 PM) *

I am trying to decide whether to try and sell it as a wrecked low mile roller, or cut it up and crush it, so please chime in.

Lets see it already. How bad is it taco'd. A 6K mile car should be as rust free as it gets. Rick snapped up the last good crumpled one. I've got room for another.
Gigamight
It had a front ender which transferred all the way to the tranny to snap off the ears. I think I have all the part to fix er from my last cut-up, but I sure as heck ain't doin it noooooooo way. Over my head.

The rust is really just where the paint broke in the crumple zones as far as I can see. I took a few pics with my phone, just need to figure out how to get them off (it's a treo, still figuring that thing out.)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 1 2010, 05:48 PM) *

It had a front ender which transferred all the way to the tranny to snap off the ears. I think I have all the part to fix er from my last cut-up, but I sure as heck ain't doin it noooooooo way. Over my head.

The rust is really just where the paint broke in the crumple zones as far as I can see. I took a few pics with my phone, just need to figure out how to get them off (it's a treo, still figuring that thing out.)

Fix it or sell it to me and I will fix it. This car has to be saved! Do you have some pictures of it?
ghuff
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 1 2010, 04:48 PM) *

guarantee the rust has crept under the cracks and spread some....

But a hit bad enough to dislocate the trans ears..... I imagine it may really be 100% totalled if it is tweaked that bad.....

Pics.

aktion035.gif
jmill
Damage goes all the way to the trans blink.gif . I'm out. There's no way to fix that one right without a bench. Rick might have a chance to break his new Cellette in.
Tom
PM sent yesterday about the rear targa sail trim if you decide to part it.
Tom
rick 918-S
Don't worry about the transaxle ears. That happened the the car I bought for Sandy too. Doesn't mean anything. The front rubber mounts flex the rear ears don't. They are not designed to be strong fore and aft. They snap off. I bet if you look you will see the front mount rubbers are torn from the engine being thrust forward.

I can fix the chassis for you of maybe purchase the car if this isn't an April folls joke. I noticed this was posted on April fools day...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 2 2010, 08:25 PM) *

Don't worry about the transaxle ears. That happened the the car I bought for Sandy too. Doesn't mean anything. The front rubber mounts flex the rear ears don't. They are not designed to be strong fore and aft. They snap off. I bet if you look you will see the front mount rubbers are torn from the engine being thrust forward.

I can fix the chassis for you of maybe purchase the car if this isn't an April folls joke. I noticed this was posted on April fools day...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hey, I stopped at that steakhouse with my LE on a tow dolly!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 1 2010, 07:48 PM) *

I had a Treo, just email the pic to yourself from the Treo then post it.

Shoe
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 2 2010, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 2 2010, 08:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hey, I stopped at that steakhouse with my LE on a tow dolly!

LOL!! lol-2.gif The Alien landed there too!
Click to view attachment

Oh, Sandy's Revenna car was slated to be cut up and parted out too!
Gigamight
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 2 2010, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 1 2010, 07:48 PM) *

I had a Treo, just email the pic to yourself from the Treo then post it.

Shoe

You get the smilie_pokal.gif

Good idea there Shoe.

Here are just a couple pics for now. I took a bunch that day, but I am in a rush right now and won't have time to get back to the computer till later. I have to insulate a house and only have today to finish it.

talk amongst yaselves til I get back.

Gigamight
anoth
Gigamight
anoth
Gigamight
Found out the owner realized he had a gold mine of sorts, so he sold most of the missing stuff on ebay.

If anyone reading this recently bought parts on ebay with the description of "low mile parts" you might want to send me a PM, I want to hear about it before you install those.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 3 2010, 05:31 AM) *

Looks like the short body version! lol-2.gif

I'm not holding my breath looking at the rust & condition of the 914 in the pix above, but if you decide to part it out, please email me with pix of the following:

Rear Bumper (if chrome & still VG-Excl Cond.)
Sail & Rollbar Chrome Trim (all bits - 2nd dibs on prior request & 1st at rest, if VG-Excl Cond.)
Windshield Chrome Trim (if VG-Excl Cond.)
Carpet pieces/set if still there & if #503 Dark Tan Loop Pile - tan & brown speckled/oatmeal (if VG-Excl Cond.)
Steering Rack Cover/Pan (VG or rust-free restorable cond.)
Door jamb air vent cups/covers inserts (if VG-Excl Cond.)
Steering Wheel (if Leather Covered & still in Excl Cond.)
Dash top pad (if not cracked/checked & VG-Excl Cond.)

> VG-Excl Cond. - i.e.: almost new from a 6000 mi or very pristine 914

BTW - this is a 1st dibs on these parts folks (or 2nd on those previously dibbed above), depending on condition for my purposes & prices relative to same! shades.gif

Where is that steakhouse?? confused24.gif .... on I-40 in the TX panhandle?? confused24.gif

If so, then I'm pretty sure that's the one my kids & I also used to stop at on our annual cross-country trips in our 88 Westy when they were still young! driving.gif biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Heeltoe914
That car is finished. In a covered grage it may have had hope but outdoors with the rust showing in so many areas. GL IMHO.
jmill
I'm out. It's way beyond me. That sucker is about a foot too short.

BTW - Fantastic work Rick. Fast as hell too. Your 2.0L is sitting on a hand truck waiting for you.
quick six
Shucks, an hour late again.
It looks pritty iffy for restoration unless someone just wants somthing to do for a few years. A multiple winter project in the north country anyone?
I am looking for a good dash myself if someone knowes of another.
EdwardBlume
Its a lot of work for a 6K chassis, but then again... how many documented 6K VINs are out there???
Ferg
That's what it really comes down to, You need lot's of documentation proving that the 6k is legit, title is not enough in this case. Without corresponding doc's and records the mileage claim becomes just a "claim" because the condition contradicts the claim, and the car becomes just that a parts car.

Any more pics you could provide would be great, to bad it was not stored better...

Ferg
rick 918-S
I could fix it. It's hit real hard though. Even with 6000 miles you will have to look carefully at the chassis and floors. If the car sat uncovered for 35 years and was filled with snow and rain it could be hatched. If the floors check out it's repairable.
tod914
Kind of a shame, but an interesting find none the less. If it looked new with all the parts remaining, would be worth the effort for someone to fix, possibly. Sourcing the parts and fixing it at this point is not likely worth the effort. Value won't be much, being it's salvaged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.