Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about selling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
Ok I'm burned out on my car, I have let it sit a short while now, but seeing it in the drive I have no want to finish or drive it, which is a shame, as many of you have read I completely tore it down including engine and tons of rust repair... it has been down the street 3 times in the last few weeks, it needs some seals, carpet, and the center gauges purchased and installed although the wiring was already run... it needs some of the flex heater hoses in the engine compartment. the seats are decent but not perfect, and seat belts... door panels are in very good shape, and I have a dash cap for the dash... So I was thinking if I sell it as is the buyer can see the nicely new painted pans and really get in there and look at how solid the car is and finish it the way they want... and I could sell it cheaper... or if I finish it I have to invest more time and money I probably wont get back..??? The problem is I just dont see myself getting in the 914 and running down the road,,, I think I liked the concept of the vintage car more than the actual experience... I hate to say it... maybe I will feel differently later , but for now while spring is in the air how should I sell it ,,, the way it sits or completed??? if you know the journey of my car where should I start a asking price .... Thanks

P.S Im not 100% that I will ultimately decide to sell it, so please dont harp on me too bad yet...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RJMII
is the parking brake broke?
wayne1234
Nope parking brake works great,, that block is in case some kid decides to get into it,,, and yes the locks work also, but the Audi is gone sometimes and I wanted it there just in case.
rick 918-S
See it before. You purchased a car that was represented as a solid runner. It turned into a complete project. Too much working not enough time enjoying. Here's my suggestion. Set a goal to attend one of the 914 events someplace in the US this year. Include you wife. Make it a vacation for both of you. This way you will have a goal to have the car finished. Once you attend an event if you still feel unattached from the car it will be done. When you take a loss on it you can at least say you had one great trip in it.
Tom_T
Wayne - IMHO you'll never know if you like the 914 & driving a vintage sports car of your own that you've basically built - until you try it! driving.gif You've basically reached the +/- halfway "oh shit, I'm burnt out & am I crazy!!??" stage! blink.gif

Rick is right - set the goal to get it done to drive this summer, give yourself a few weeks to sort it out, then go with your GF/SO down to NC/TN/GA for the MUSR 11 & see why the 914 is so much fun on "the dragon" - which is about an easy day trip from Indy/Brooklyn to that area (we did it in our 88 Westy! biggrin.gif ) -
http://www.musr11.com/
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1295834

Let your gal driving-girl.gif some on the trip too to get her hooked too! biggrin.gif

PS - you'd probably get a better price for it anyway as a finished 914 in a year or so when the economy is hopefully doing well, as opposed to an unfinished project in a bad economy where a lot of people are unloading cars & parts for cheap.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 1 2010, 04:47 PM) *

See it before. You purchased a car that was represented as a solid runner. It turned into a complete project. Too much working not enough time enjoying. Here's my suggestion. Set a goal to attend one of the 914 events someplace in the US this year. Include you wife. Make it a vacation for both of you. This way you will have a goal to have the car finished. Once you attend an event if you still feel unattached from the car it will be done. When you take a loss on it you can at least say you had one great trip in it.

agree.gif
Its really about the people with the social side, and personal achievement with the rest...

Good luck...
wayne1234
Maybe this will put me in the right frame of mind... Again if you know the cars journey to its current state, knowing what it currently needs,,, in today's bad market... what would you guys put as a realistic selling price, lets say a price to move the car within one month,,, be honest, you wont hurt my feelings...

By the way I did have a brief moment of inspiration when I stopped by Auto Alanta on my way back from a business trip, It was a total pleasurable experience They actually stayed late after close for me since I was in the neighborhood, I did a brief look at the magnificent car collection and the projects out front everyone was very pleasant and the parts lady(sorry I forgot her name) swapped a few 914 stories, I picked up my new brake lines while I was there... I came home and a day or so later, was ready to work on the car again... put the new lines on with new mounts and clips and was feeling pretty good that's when I took a decent length trip in her,,,, Then my nightmare began I decided to put on the fiberglass skits that had the new paint on them.. I had done a little repair around a couple of rivet mounts when guess what I mad a scratch while drilling them,,, then a chip,,, headbang.gif pulled them back off repaired my mistake waited for the touch up to dry overnight, then guess what happened again,,, chip headbang.gif different spot headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif pull it back off,, touch it up... and it's been in time out ever since

Oh and the triangle glass to windshield frame is leaking after I spent several hours getting it lined up also,,, I wanted to do bad things to the glass as I washed it and saw that waterline going inside the window bs.gif : at least it is leaking to the inside of the door and not on the floorpan bs.gif
RJMII
Wait, you're serious? I was hoping this was an April Fool's prank.
davesprinkle
Wayne, I experienced your frustration. Spent several years restoring the car. I spent several months sorting out the car after I got it running. It was so frustrating that I got despondent and almost sold it.

But I'm glad I listened to my wife and kept addressing the little problems. Now the car is completely reliable and I couldn't be more gratified.

If you can possibly find the energy, stay focused and diligent. You're almost done, don't give up now
patssle
You say it's been driven, is it reliable? If so, then why not just drive it as it is now and slowly finish the job over time? Don't need a spotless 914 to enjoy it on the open road.
rick 918-S
I did it. Finished my car. Drove it one summer with the kids. Then parked it in perfect running order with the injected 1.7 and had no interest in the car for a year. Then I found Pelican, then club. Then the conversion to the Alien. After the WCC 04 I was hooked. And it wasn't the car. It was the people. Well, the car is cool too... assimilate.gif
jjbunn
Looks like a fun 914! What sort of front wings are those?

How about starting it on Ebay at $2k, with a Reserve that would make you really happy, and gauge the interest by seeing how high it gets bid up to? That will give you a good idea of what to expect and some time to reflect.

Just my 2c.
Russell123
which car is best for student?
ME733
............The value of an incomplete project car is SIGNIFICANTLY less than a completed running car.....you know that....But if you want a sports car which has class and pedegree...you just cannot beat the 914 for cost/ value /vs fun ratio....and the good 914,s are holding their value even through these bad economic times..........my 2.5 cents worth.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 1 2010, 05:47 PM) *

I was going to say the same thing, take it to a show where others will see it and appreciate it and then just park it for a while and admire it, remembering what the others at the show said. I have several 914s that way, parked for the pure beauty of the display and my admiration for them!!! We men are visual and it is fun to look, even if we do not drive!
I will add though, after seeing the picture, that with the slope nose I would not continue to invest a lot of time and money in this car, and if you are really that burnt out, offer it for sale and then with the proceeds buy a 914 further along that you can drive every day if you want.
These days everyone in the know is pushing for originality.
ghuff
You have come too far in my opinion to leave with nothing.

That is all. Meditate, focus and carry on.
wayne1234
My thought was someone on here That has followed the repairs Would rather have a good look at it naked and finish it how they want, with their seat choice etc... On the open market I agree it would need the carpet put in, dash cap installed, and console put in, I could do that in a day... and it would be presentable... I mention the weatherstripping because there is a dribble or two, and a couple of dry cracks... All the seals are there, and in decent shape just not perfect.... most people on the open market would write that off as a older car.... I would put in a clock in the console instead of the oil psi, I already have the oil temp and volt gauge.... again the seats are really decent there are 3 spots all less than a dime size... just not perfect... the seat belts could go back in,,, they are just faded and need some help getting back up, hell sometimes Audi TT belts need help, again they just arent perfect, thats why I mention it to this group. I know how we all have OCD when it comes to our cars...

On the sports car side, thats my delima, I envisioned a vintage cruiser, not a sports car.. I know it handles well, but I have found myself jumping in the Audi more and more as the weather warms up... Turbo, Modified, Water Meth injection, All wheel drive. For top off fun we have the wifes new Slk350, So that why I see the 914 sitting in the future, I think I just have too much in my driveway, Im tired of shuffling cars around... And it doesnt help that I'm pissed off at the 914 now.
KELTY360
Sell it. All you see are flaws....no charm. You're always going to see flaws. Stick with modern cruisers. JMO
rjames
Life's too short to be stressing about a car that much. If it's not enriching your life, sell it. If down the road you want to get a 914 again then you'll be better prepared for what might follow. Enjoy the Audi! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.