Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JB Weld thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
brad's thread brought this up. i'm curious what others say about it.

my 2 cents:

i've used it with good success on things like lawn mowers and such. it's a hack-fix in most cases, no doubt. however, you can drill it, machine it, file it, etc., so it's pretty damn strong. and permanent. certainly in carb mods, i wouldn't think twice about using it.

i've heard different things regarding temperature. they used to say 600 degrees, the manufacturerer now says 500. apparently, it won't actually melt to liquid at that temp, it will just stop holding. so i wouldn't use it as part of an exhaust.

a smog tube (that i've blocked off) on my 75 2.0 came out while driving the other day. not good. threads of the stud are still good, so the head is probably cracked and shit. however, i can just set the stud through the tin into the head and the car runs great, no problem. engine still makes all kinds of power and sounds smooth, and i don't currently have the time and space to pull it...

so i just put a spot of jb weld on the stud in the upper threads, and a spot of it where the stud meets the engine tin. i'm crossing my fingers... it claims to work well w/ aluminum, but i'm a little concerned about differing expansion rates... and heads can run pretty hot (hopefully not 500 degrees), although my car seems to cool well.

this is hackmye, no doubt -- i'll let you know if it holds...

anyone else use the stuff? n
Mueller
I've used JB Weld on a radiator (nice big hole from battery falling against it), lasted for the few years I owned the car..........

On my old Mustang 5.0, when I bought a used engine from the wreckers, I guess the workers decided it was easier for them to punch a hole in the pan. I put a screw in the hole, covered the head on the inside of the pan with JB Weld and never had a problem.
thesey914
I've used it to stick 3 stripped exhaust studs back in, seems to be a permanent repair
SLITS
Used it all the time on the race track to repair FUBARS on all parts the engine & drivetrain - bulletproof - actually a product that lives up to and beyond it's name
smilie_pokal.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 30 2004, 12:28 PM)
I've used it to stick 3 stripped exhaust studs back in, seems to be a permanent repair

wow -- that's impressive..
TheCabinetmaker
I used it to repair a cracked fuel pump case on my 73 1.7( pump was in engine bay). Lasted for 12 years.
914ghost
It worked well on repairing the commong outer door handle borken casting.
Also used it to build up the rear shift rod where it goes thry the bushing on my tailshifter- nice tight fit.
DONT use it to attach a shift knob like the PO did on my car...you know what happens.
-Bob o
Sammy
Magic stuff.
I have a little dab of it on the muffler of my 911 turbo, the darned thing has a couple of pin holes due to rust, the JB weld fixed em up and holds up to the high temperatures.

Better than duct tape and bailing wire.
mikester
Lovely stuff...

When I was a kid I was really into radio controlled airplanes. I crashed one with a really nice engine and cracked the case a bit at the mounts. I repaired it with JB weld and it held for a few years and then finally let go again (probably due to vibration more than anything else). I repaired it again, the same way and it held again for a few more years until I wore the engine out.

It's good stuff, no question about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.