Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changed a bad plug wire and now she won't start.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
estwing
I started getting a significant miss above 3k rpms so I started troubleshooting. Immediately found the #2 wire was all corroded in the distributor cap so I swapped out the wire and now I can't get her to start. The engine started and ran great previoiusly.

It's a stock 74 2.0 with original FI
Checked points, cap, rotor, coil- all good.
Replaced all 4 plug wires and coil wire.
Swapped cap.
Double checked the firing order- it matches up. here

Now here's the kicker. When I swap 3 & 4 on the cap, then engine fires up immediately. It's really rough so I know it's not correct. Same thing when I swap 1 & 3. To double check I had #1 located correctly on the cap, I started rotating the 1-4-3-2 order clockwise around the cap. At 90 degrees it only cranks about 3/8 of a turn of stops. At 180 degrees it starts and runs rough. At 270 degrees it does the same 3/8 of a turn and stops.

Back at the correct order, it cranks freely but acts like it's not getting any spark. The distributor nice and tight so I know I didn't bump the timing.

Any thoughts?

gopack
I don't know, but I think there was a similar thread last week or two. if nothing else: icon_bump.gif
pcar916
Back to basics. Assume nothing. Did you change anything else at the same time?

1. Porsche wires? The new wires pass a continuity test (ohmmeter) and are completely pushed into the distributor holes? This includes the coil wire.

2. Points are not collapsed?

3. Make sure the #1 hole on the distributor cap is in the right place at TDC on the compression stroke. You can tell when the TDC mark is at the pointer and both valves are closed (seen when the valve cover is off). Or, if you have a compression gauge set, shoot some compressed air into the sparkplug hole. if it comes out the tailpipe, it's on the exhaust stroke.

This is why (in general) I never change but one wire at a time.

That'll get your started!

Good luck!
estwing
After checking, rechecking, and researching it turns out the dizzy was 180 degrees off. I thought when I pulled the dist cap that it was backwards but how could you get it to seat backwards?? I identified TDC and had the firing order correct. I knew I wasn't crazy. She started on 2 cylinders when I swapped the wires on 4 and 2 (in case I misread the cw rotation) so I swapped 1 & 3 and she fired right up. I guess someone got the gear backwards on the last rebuild.
TheCabinetmaker
Easy to fix. The gear is just uner the diz.
Yes. The cap will clamp on when backwards, but it won't seat, making a no contact between rotor and plug terminals in cap.
Cap'n Krusty
If the distributor orientation is 180 out, the simplest solution is to put the wires 180 out. If it runs that way, you KNOW the problem, and can plan your repair for a convenient opportunity. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.