Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm giving up on the Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
My Boxster! Ha ha! Fooled you!

My lease replacement vehicle arrived today (BMW 545i), and I'm turning the leased Boxster back in tomorrow.

Thanks for playing!
rick 918-S
That was sick! happy11.gif Or should I say sic! aktion035.gif
Scott Carlberg
Karl,
what were your thoughts & experiences like with the Boxster?
tat2dphreak
I'd also like to know how much the lease for the boxter was and how much milage you had per year in the allowance? if you don't mind sharing that info anyway
Qarl
The Boxster was a "good" car. Not great, not bad. I had a number of problems with it. It's a Porsche so I didn't expect mechanical perfection or lack of maintenance.

I had to have the cam cover bolts replaced 3 times due to leaks. Main seal went, requiring the engine to be dropped and the entire rear suspension realigned. I had a the HID headlight burn out after 1000 miles, the A/C expnsion valve crapped out twice, and I had a persistent vibration in the rear that could never be worked out, despite 2 sets of tires, wheel replacements, rebalancing, alignment, etc. They gave up on it after six attempts at fixing it. These were the only provlems after 3 years and 36K miles, but were not fun to deal with.

It drove nice, but it IS impracticle (no trunk space). It is actually a heavy car. It was FUN with the top down and a great cruiser. Handles nice. (It was too quiet... no great Porsche sound). Stock radio sucked.

Would I get another one... no. I'd rather get a n older 911, or a car with better bang for the buck, like a Honda S2000, or the Elise. Check out the new turbo Miata coming soon.

Or a Boxster S. A few more ponies and six speeds.

Sticker on the car was just over $50K in 2001. 12K miles per year with nothing out of pocket at signing. Payments with tax were just over $800 per month for 36 month lease.
nebreitling
dude, that was not funny at all!

youre gonna have one of the nicest 914's in the world when you are done. period.
Bruce Allert
Asshole,

if yer not nominated you are now laugh.gif bootyshake.gif mueba.gif

....b
AZ914
ohmy.gif Dang, I was already figuring out where to get the $$$.

Sounds like your Boxster had a lot of problems (for 36K). Thats worse than the Mustang POS I used to own....
Jeroen
You made me look biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
ppickerell
Wife due for new car this year, guess I cross the boxter off the list!
watsonrx13
Man, I thought I'd have to drive to O-town and kick your A$$. smash.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
ein 6er
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Mar 30 2004, 02:11 PM)
Asshole,

if yer not nominated you are now laugh.gif bootyshake.gif mueba.gif

....b

agree.gif laugh.gif
URY914
The Boxster gets as much respect as the 914 did in its day.

Can you drop (or lift) a SB 350 into a Boxter? smile.gif
Gint
Damn! I was hoping to buy up the "project" leftovers.
Mark Henry
I nominate Karl for that asshole hat!

You have a warped sense of humour bud, I like it!
Qarl
happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

I wasn't even trying for it!
Bruce Allert
From the 3 votes right here on tis thread and the actual nomination I did on the asshole thread ALONG WITH the seconding I got from tat2dfreak that makes you in the lead! CONGRATULATIONS smilie_pokal.gif

.............b laugh.gif

P.s. Qarl, we all know yer not an asshole..... but....... bootyshake.gif chairfall.gif
Howard
Group Buy?
Qarl
We can make it a traveling award... nominate someone every quarter and send it on to the next nominee!!!
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(kellzey @ Mar 30 2004, 09:34 PM)
We can make it a traveling award... nominate someone every quarter and send it on to the next nominee!!!

great idea Qarl clap56.gif

and a picture wearing it MUST follow! beerchug.gif

.........b
Zeke
I got a 2000 box with 16,000 showing. It was a lease return, I'm sure and I leased it myself. four years at $499/mo. and not one problem. Even though that car is costing me $6000/yr + lic fees, it might be cheaper than my 911 for the same period. The thing is, when the lease is up, I'll still have the 911 while the box is going down the road. Meaning, I'll own the 911 after all the money spent. $24,000 over 4 years leaves me dick n the Box.

However, I worked this out somewhat on a spreadsheet. If I bought it with the required downpayment, the depreciation in the same time frame about equals the total lease cost. And I still have that downpayment in the bank earning interest.

I'm not proud to have leased a car, but I might come out good on this one.

BTW, they are really fun to drive. It's just a different ride. Everthing is too refined these days. But, it hangs with the boys in the hp group you're in. It doesn't hang with any kind of 996 or many 993s and no Turbos. Get the S and you can move up one notch for $15K more, no thanks.

Now my 1900lb, 130 hp 914 was just as fast as the Box with it's 3000lbs and 205hp 2.7. But that 3000lb hulk could carry the mail in the curves with those huge 17's w/ 255/40's while my car had 205/60/15s
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.