Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hershey - should I go
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boiledcabbage
Hi - thinking of going to Hershey on the 24th for the mid-engine invasion (have never been - long trip for me)- I know it will be a blast but how big is it? Can you find just about anything you need there? In my case - need a decent FI harness for a 74 1.8. Any thoughts appreciated.
type47
Yes, you should go. It's big. Swap meets are phasing out (sorta) in my opinion but Hershey is still going on. Alot is social and that's the fun of it. P-car overload. You can get alot of stuff. If you can't get your harness there, see Jeff Bowlsby. I go but it's only 2.5 hours away for me; if it was further, like 6-8 hrs, I wouldn't/couldn't.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(boiledcabbage @ Apr 2 2010, 07:40 PM) *

Can you find just about anything you need there? In my case - need a decent FI harness for a 74 1.8. Any thoughts appreciated.

There are a few standard 'big' vendors (CDOC, RennLine, Subtle Dynamics...) that basically bring their whole catalog.

But mostly, it's a swap meet, wherein everybody shows up with their dirty, dusty old take-off parts and it gets traded around (bring cash...) in exchange for somebody else's dirty old take-off parts.

The supply of 356 stuff is pretty thin these days, along with longhood 900's. But ya never know - somebody might have just finished up a project and decided to unload a garage-full of all the 'just-in-case' or 'not quite as nice' parts. Somebody decides to get out of Porsches and go play with Mustangs or Ferraris or something and purges the stock of spares.

One crappy-weather year a friend of mine scored a pair of 911R 7x15 Fuchs because he was in the right place at the right time with the right cash.

You just never know what someone will bring out...

At this point I don't think I'd trust a NOS wiring harness much less a used one - that rubber gets brittle all by itself...
zymurgist
Best Porsche swap meet I've been to... I live about 1:45 away though so it's kind of a no-brainer for me.
hot_shoe914
933 miles and 15 hours for me but I am still going.

Shoe
BarberDave
Hell man : I live 489 miles away , I have been going ever since 2001

rain snow or the creek don't rise. At one time it was billed as the biggest swap

in the country. You can get all the info on Zack's postings. WE get at the motel

Fri. a lot of good BS. dinner more BS, some suds,sleep,up early and go to the

swap in mass, spend the day ,checking out ,the swap, we have our own area

thanks to members here. Maybe DOC. will bring the music . We go back to the

motel have dinner ,( there is some mention of a Hog Roast,

. Sun. there is a AX good time participating or watching. You will not regret

attending. See ya there Dave slap.gif
boiledcabbage
excellent - thanks all - will try to go
Ian Stott
I live in Moncton so you know how far I drove and I am glad I went, would be going again this year cept for family commitments. I don't think you will regret it, meet some great people and you may pick up something you need for a fair price.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(boiledcabbage @ Apr 2 2010, 07:40 PM) *

Hi - need a decent FI harness for a 74 1.8. Any thoughts appreciated.

I am planning to bring an L-jet FI setup
Tom_T
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 2 2010, 04:51 PM) *

get your harness ~, see Jeff Bowlsby.

agree.gif Sorta re Jeff, he's a member here & restores them, rather than selling another problem one at a swap. Look under member vendors section or PM him - any of his posts has links to the Engine Harness Resto website of his. You won't be sorry from all the others who've had his harness restos.
VaccaRabite
Yes! Come! We are having a 914 event (MidEngine Invasion) at the swap meet.

Zach
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 2 2010, 04:41 PM) *

933 miles and 15 hours for me but I am still going.

Shoe

This guys is nuts folks.... laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 3 2010, 08:08 AM) *

agree.gif Sorta re Jeff, he's a member here & restores them, rather than selling another problem one at a swap. Look under member vendors section or PM him - any of his posts has links to the Engine Harness Resto website of his. You won't be sorry from all the others who've had his harness restos.

And Jeff is one heck of a nice guy... I just saw him cruzing down 680 in an LE last Wed. bye1.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 3 2010, 12:08 PM) *

agree.gif Sorta re Jeff, he's a member here & restores them, rather than selling another problem one at a swap. ...

I know Chris will probably let this slide but I won't...

Chris said he's bringing a complete 1,8 FI setup to Hershey.
I donno if the OP actually needs a complete setup (spares desirability vs 'cost of insurance'...) or if Chris would entertain the concept of selling just the harness separately.

One nice thing about a swap is these kinds of negotiations can take place in person...

But the point here is that Chris is reputable people, and if he's bringing a part I would trust his description of the part. If he says it's 'good, working' then it is.

This is kinda the downside of the in-person big swap, because you can't tell by looking who's reputable and who's bringing scrapyard cr&p - and both parties know they'll probably never see each other again. Pretty much - swapmeet sales are cash and final.

If you really want to check out a part in person, this is the place. I'd trust Chris' description of a part so if you want to see a 1,8 harness before you lay down your cash, this is an excellent opportunity. Chris will not be foisting problem parts on you...
Ian Stott
I have experience with Chris Foley, I would not hesitate to buy from him, he is one of the good guys.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
zymurgist
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Apr 3 2010, 03:27 PM) *

I have experience with Chris Foley, I would not hesitate to buy from him, he is one of the good guys.

agree.gif
MikeSpraggi
Here's a photo of part of the parking lot during the '07 event. The vendors had a large area to the right of this photo. The photo doesn't really do the event justice, but it's usually pretty big.

Click to view attachment

rmital
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Apr 2 2010, 08:43 PM) *

.....We go back to the
motel have dinner ,( there is some mention of a Hog Roast,

I've been searching the web for any type of barbeque service in the area...nothing comin' up.

on the drive to Hershey last year, we saw a couple silver box trucks that were doing the barbeque thing. If anyone local to the area knows of that type of service please post here or drop me a message.

....cause....last year, most staying at the motel were hanging out in the parking lot around 4:00ish, right after the swap, enjoying the weather and company of other 914ers. I figured if we could add some food to that part of the day, the evening could take on other activities. Like drunk.gif or yellowsleep[1].gif or driving.gif

but not beer3.gif + driving.gif= busted_cop.gif
rmital
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Apr 2 2010, 08:43 PM) *

....We go back to the
motel have dinner ,( there is some mention of a Hog Roast,....

found some places that would provide a BBQ...100 minimum sad.gif
last year we had about 50ish at the dinner, don't think we could find 50 more huh.gif
turboman808
Ray which one did you call. Shakedown is close by and they say they will cater.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=...WFiYw&pli=1

Hope it doesn't rain that weekend because I am excited about taking my car for a long trip. piratenanner.gif
rmital
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 5 2010, 10:48 AM) *

Ray which one did you call. Shakedown is close by and they say they will cater.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=...WFiYw&pli=1

Hope it doesn't rain that weekend because I am excited about taking my car for a long trip. piratenanner.gif

www.hessbbq.com was the last one I contacted. reasonable prices; once you have the right number of attendees.

I can't access the link you posted here at work...I'll check it out at home tonight.
Thanks for the info Nate...I appreciate it!!
r_towle
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 5 2010, 10:48 AM) *

It wont melt.
tzen001
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 5 2010, 10:48 AM)

Hope it doesn't rain that weekend because I am excited about taking my car for a long trip.

It wont melt.
Yeah but it might shrink
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.