Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to build a 914 trailer for my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
Has any one done this yet?
I want to use the rear clip of a 914 to build a trailer. I'm thinking tube chassis, pulled by my V8 914. Cut out the inner trunk and build it bigger. Just not enough room inside my 914. I'm going to use a strait axle with leaf springs. Build a hidden hitch behind my license plate.

OK, so how stupid is this idea? Not sure how to finish off the front of the firewall.
McMark
SUCKS! The scappers just took the rear from the limo that had been sitting in my parking lot for a couple months. sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 2 2010, 10:47 PM) *

Has any one done this yet?

Jason (SilverBullet) started on one. Not sure if he ever finished it ...

idea.gif Andy
Dr Evil
There are pics on this site of one and where the hitch was located. I like the idea.
rfuerst911sc
For finishing the firewall I would try to fit a diamond plate tool box. It would look good ( subjective ) it would hide some of the firewall and it would be functional.
carr914
I've got a picture someplace of a 914 pulling a 914 trailer. The car/trailer combo was Tangerine-Signal Orange with the panels switched. I know the picture is stored on a CD. I'll look
zymurgist
Here's what you want to do. Although as a zymurgist, I would recommend at least 2 taps.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Apr 3 2010, 05:08 AM) *

Here's what you want to do. Although as a zymurgist, I would recommend at least 2 taps.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Just imagine that pic is a 914. Yes it would need two taps. I even have a motorcycle trailer to scab parts from (vin and suspension). I may even be able to just take the rear clip and set it on my motorcycle trailer chassis.
EdwardBlume
It'd be cool from a NARP perspective to tow a 911 or Boxster rear... beer.gif
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 3 2010, 05:50 AM) *

Awesome! That's what I want, just a little lower to the ground. Now to find a rear clip...
URY914
Click to view attachment
jt914-6
Keep the stock jack point.....would make it easy to change a flat.....
JeffBowlsby
I think the trailer lines would be better if the targa bar was removed.
underthetire
Get in touch with Lennie914. He had the 73 cut up, think the rear is still there.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 3 2010, 10:23 AM) *

agree.gif

Maybe you then could extend the trunk lid to include the engine lid. The trunk space could be dropped to allow much more room inside.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 3 2010, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 3 2010, 10:23 AM) *

agree.gif

Maybe you then could extend the trunk lid to include the engine lid. The trunk space could be dropped to allow much more room inside.

agree.gif

I want to chop out the inner trunk and drop it to the chassis. Not sure yet about the engine lid. I think the trailer will be open all the way to the firewall and the mesh needs to be sealed on the engine lid. If I use my old 3 rail motorcycle trailer, the bottom rail is 5 inches off the ground. The bottom of the rocker panel will be 5 inches off the ground to match the ride height of my car. That makes room for a big trunk in the trailer. My hidden hitch will be behind my license plate with a hindgable plate. I will problably cut out all but the body panels under the rear clip and fab up from there. Just leaving enough vertical trunk and engine bay walls to attach to.
Dr Evil
If you google 914 trailer you will get the orange one and one other. Both have the targa still on, though. The one I am thinking of is the best one I have ever seen. It was on a white car and had the targa removed. I will see if I can find it here. The owner took detailed pics of the hitch receiver and such.
brant
this is gary smith
trailer is very functional
he has been using it for about 8 years
we have raced together many times, and I've been down to his house in New Mexico for 914 stuff before. Very good guy
boxstr
Let me now if you need a trailer hitch built for the 914, I have one at CAMP 914.
$75, plus shipping. PAYPAL to camp914@comcast.net
Craig at CAMP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.