Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 in NH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
Anyone know this car? It's close to me and in my price range.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1674244110.html
carr914
Need more info. But if the guy kept the rest of the car as nice as the Tan seats, it could be a Winner, I mean a Wilner.
EdwardBlume
Hard to say without a solid PPI and screwdriver inspection... Looks solid and is in the price range for a '74 1.8. The devil is in the details or the hell hole....
r_towle
Go look.

Take alot of pictures and report back.
Nice day for a drive...up north of concord...seems close enough..
Where is springfield nh?

Rich
rwilner
emailed and called, i'll try and head up to see it this wknd.

I will report back with many pics!
r_towle
Look for rust and make sure the paint is perfect.
Everything else is easy in comparison.

Rich
rwilner
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 3 2010, 11:52 AM) *

emailed and called, i'll try and head up to see it this wknd.

I will report back with many pics!

It's a 74 1.7L FI. I'm checking out this car tomorrow @ 1230p est. he changed the paint from the original green to some other metallic green. Still, the rest of the car is original and it's a good price. If it's solid It'll make a good driver.

I'll come armed with my camera and a screwdriver. Any last minute tips?
Ian Stott
I am pretty sure a 74 came with a 1.8, if it really has a 1.7 then that is probably not the original engine, if it runs fine then it isn't a huge biggy but the price needs to reflect that.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Katmanken
Maybe it's my laptop display, but I don't recall "Flesh" as being a factory seat color.

Could be an interior repaint.

Run away if the seller mentions the upholstery is "leather"...... blink.gif

r_towle
Bring a bright light and a hand held mirror...one that is on a telescopic rod is best.
You cant really get a good look at the top of the hell hole unless the computer is removed and IMHO its not good form to ask a guy to take his car apart for you to inspect....

That being said, guys here that sell cars know the rust areas well and if they are selling to this crowd they will take the pictures of the hell hole and they will remove the rockers to check for rust.

Assuming you cant do that, look at the areas that you can get to and take a gamble for that price.

Under the battery, really under the computer can be seen if you use a mirror.
From below that area you will see the rusted through engine shelf if you look right up directly above the heater tube that exits the long...right above that will have rusted through if its bad enough...

The same side...the triangle jack post with the little round point to put the jack on will have also rusted.

Then look inside the rear fender facing forward to see all the way down the outer longitudinal as far as you can see...if you see the rocker panel filled with dirt, its not a good sign...not the end of the world, but you can suggest to the owner that he should spray a hose in there (while you are there) to clean it all out...
Then you can see better....and watch what comes out when he sprays....if you see alot of rust...take a guess.

I dont use screw drivers on other peoples cars...just poor form in my opinion and I would be very pissed off if someone did that to my property.

Now inside the car.
Push the seats forward and remove the rear carpet...look for rust at the seam at the rear of the floor boards.

Rear trunk, remove carpet and pad and look for major rust...it will have surface rust...

Drive it...see if it runs ok.

Djet will have a small cylinder mounted right on the side of the battery tray...with electrical and vacuum hoses connected to it.
Ljet will have a large air flapper valve on the drivers side hooked up to the intake manifold...
Both motors have 4 bolt intake manifolds.
Ljet comes with square snap on connectors to the fuel injectors.
Djet comes with spade like connectors with rubber boots on the injectors...

Send me a PM and I will give you my cell phone...you can send me pics on my phone while you are there if you have questions..or call.

Good luck...if the rust is not to bad, it may be the one.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.