Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tech tip of the day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
There are several scenarios when you have flasher (turn signal or hazard light) problems, and with each I have posted a probable cause. They are in no particular order:
1. turn signal and hazard lights do not work everything else works:
Flasher relay is bad or improper three prong type installed
2. hazards work but only one side of the turn signals work: turn signal switch is bad and not making connection
3. rear lights do not flash brightly: rear ground wire bundle on the drivers inner fender well is not making good connection
4. front parking light side of dual filament bulb is brighter than the flasher portion of the bulb: wires are plugged in backwards
5. 70-early 74 both arrows flash when turning left or right: wrong bulb installed, battery voltage low, ground lead not making connection
6. hazards work but turn signals do not: turn signal switch disconnected or bad
7 fuse blows with turn signal is applied: ground wire has been switched with the power wire at the assembly

Please remember that most flasher problems occur after the 914 is reassembled after painting and the technicians do not know which wire plugs onto what terminal. "Tech Tips 700" has a good written guide on how to replug the leads.

codices
Thank-you for the information George. Sometimes the little things cause the most frustration.

Dave
DBCooper
OK, Doc, cool, but what's going on here? No more infomercials and you're being genuinely helpful. What's changed? idea.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 3 2010, 03:40 PM) *

OK, Doc, cool, but what's going on here? No more infomercials and you're being genuinely helpful. What's changed? idea.gif

I have always answered tech questions DB, just never started a post with one! I think that I posted at least 20 times today answering questions.
Naturally I do not want anyone to have to search for parts so always make sure that they know that they are instantly available, so sometimes post in that direction but usually say "readily available from the usual suspects"
I do not expect you to know that I give a lot of tech advice here but I really do. You just see the threads I start only and they look like self promotion. I am here for all of the members and want to see the 914 well preserved and loved by all.
At my age I am done with business and have my nest egg, so promoting the marque is my main goal. The tech tip of the day just came to me as I was answering a tech question on the phone. (I get over 50 questions a day over the phone that always take a lot of time, so I though I would put my answers to the club members best use.)
Things will be brighter than ever for the community with Andy and I in full steam ahead, and it is guys like you that make it all worth it. One of my favorite expressions that I tell many 914 owners when they tell me how many they own, is "the more 914s you have the more we love you!" Save the 914 and to hell with the whales!
DBCooper
Actually I like whales too, Doc, but otherwise recognize and genuinely appreciate the positive perspective. I'm cynical and admit that. I haven't had good experiences so you won't win me back as a customer, but I recognize and respect the helpful attitude. Thanks.
Steve
Thanks George, you can't please them all!! I think a tech tip of the day would be pretty cool. I already have your tech tips 700, but it would be nice to read them on line. Maybe weekly or daily.
76-914
Thanks George, I was listening to an old podcast with you and Jake and was reminded of your Tech Tips publication. I'm sure it's an excellant publication and I would love to own it but you have a min of $25 per order. How 'bout you make an exception on this item for members and ship it USPS mail? I'd get one in a minute.
sean_v8_914
I think Georges 700 tech tip book is THE BEST book a DIY 914 owner should own. I buy em by the dozen and hand them out to my overly enthusiastic 914 customers.
next time your at teh shop, remind me, I should have it in stock. George, I'll order more on monday
76-914
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 4 2010, 09:56 AM) *

I think Georges 700 tech tip book is THE BEST book a DIY 914 owner should own. I buy em by the dozen and hand them out to my overly enthusiastic 914 customers.
next time your at teh shop, remind me, I should have it in stock. George, I'll order more on monday

I'd love to. Where is your shop? Are you ever/always there on weekends? I ask because I am in SD area frequently on weekends. Otherwise, I'll make it a point to stop by on a weekday. Or bring a few to the GPR Flesh Roast. BTW, I finally installed the clutch cable that I bought from you at the last GPR Flesh Roast. That thing is really beefy compared to stock.
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 3 2010, 04:23 PM) *

5. 70-early 74 both arrows flash when turning left or right: wrong bulb installed, battery voltage low, ground lead not making connection

What is the proper bulb?

Mike
xperu
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 3 2010, 03:23 PM) *

There are several scenarios when you have flasher (turn signal or hazard light) problems, and with each I have posted a probable cause. They are in no particular order:
1. turn signal and hazard lights do not work everything else works:
Flasher relay is bad or improper three prong type installed
2. hazards work but only one side of the turn signals work: turn signal switch is bad and not making connection
3. rear lights do not flash brightly: rear ground wire bundle on the drivers inner fender well is not making good connection
4. front parking light side of dual filament bulb is brighter than the flasher portion of the bulb: wires are plugged in backwards
6. hazards work but turn signals do not: turn signal switch disconnected or bad
7 fuse blows with turn signal is applied: ground wire has been switched with the power wire at the assembly

Please remember that most flasher problems occur after the 914 is reassembled after painting and the technicians do not know which wire plugs onto what terminal. "Tech Tips 700" has a good written guide on how to replug the leads.

Thanks George, both of my TS dash light arrows just started, great timing. Mine is an early 74. Mike
jt914-6
A friend (Pcar916) and I both had the same problem....#6. Hazard and european parking feature worked....turn signals didn't. This in both cases is on '74's. We switched the european parking wires with the turn signal wires in the switch and we then had turn signals but no euro parking feature. The turn signals are more important to us than the euro feature. Sure we could have replaced the switch, but this mod is FREE.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.