Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome exhaust tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Lavanaut
Hey all - haven't been around for a while, nice to be back (read: nice to feed the addiction biggrin.gif)

So! What's the story w/ chrome exhaust tips? Seems natural to me to assume they're just an accessory added by dealers, so I was somewhat surprised to see them listed in PET under part # 901.111.245.01. What are peoples' thoughts on these from a strict 'originality' standpoint? Would you get dinged at Concours?

I do think they're a nice, subtle way to dress up the rear of the car.

Thanks,

Reid

edit: what I meant by "I was somewhat surprised to see them listed in PET under part # 901.111.245.01" is that I'd previously assumed they were an aftermarket accessory.
DanT
I was always under the impression that an original 6 had the little short chrome tip on the exhaust just like 911T, 911E, 911S of the same vintage as a factory installed piece on everyone of them that left the assembly line.
Cairo94507
Both of my '70 914-6's had the original mufflers and chrome tips on them when I had them. It was always my understanding they came from the factory with the chrome tip.
Pat Garvey
I've never seen an original six without the tip. The vintage Dansk muffkers come with the tip mounted for 911's. Isn't the six muffler a 911 part?
DanT
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 4 2010, 12:06 PM) *

I've never seen an original six without the tip. The vintage Dansk muffkers come with the tip mounted for 911's. Isn't the six muffler a 911 part?

Pat I believe a real 6 muffler is a bit different where the outlet is because of the original porthole rear valence....
doesnt an original 6 muffler sit just a bit higer (or is it lower) than a 911 muffler?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 4 2010, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 4 2010, 12:06 PM) *

Pat I believe a real 6 muffler is a bit different where the outlet is because of the original porthole rear valence....
doesnt an original 6 muffler sit just a bit higer (or is it lower) than a 911 muffler?

Ya got me there Dan!
I'll check PET to find out.
Pat
Tom_T
While you're at it Pat, that chrome tip also neatly fits over the 2.0 exhaust& was offered thru the dealers as an option - so would one be dinged at Parade by the CWs for adding it, as I've seen on some pretty nice 2L's around???? confused24.gif

BTW - IIRC the 911 & 914-6 mufflers replacements from Dansk are different part numbers, unless there's a superceded use for the 69 2.0 911T on which that detuned 914-6 engine was based.
smg914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 4 2010, 08:30 PM) *

While you're at it Pat, that chrome tip also neatly fits over the 2.0 exhaust& was offered thru the dealers as an option - so would one be dinged at Parade by the CWs for adding it, as I've seen on some pretty nice 2L's around???? confused24.gif

Hey Tom,
Are you saying that the 914-6 chrome exhaust tip was a dealer option that neatly fit the 914-4 2 liter banana muffler tail pipe? I happen to have all three parts in my garage, so I went out and did some measurements. The diameter of the 914-6 tail pipe is approx 2 and 5/16 inches and the diameter of the 914-4 tail pipe is approx 1 and 13/16 inches. The diameter of the chrome tip is approx 2 and 1/2 inches. The chrome tip is designed to perfectly fit over the 914-6 tail pipe and tightly hold itself in place. To install the chrome tip, I place the wide side of a 2x4 over the end of the chrome tip and then tap it with a hammer to pinch it in place. This is not possible with the 914-4 2 liter tail pipe. The tail pipe is just too small for the chrome tip to stay in place without welding it or something. I really don't see anyway the 914-6 chrome tip could have been available as a dealer option for the 914-4 2 liter exhaust tail pipe. The diameter of the 914-4 tail pipe is just too small.

However, I do seem to remember there being a dealer option chrome tip available for the 914 1.7 liter exhaust tail pipe back in the day. This was a different part and nothing like the 914-6 chrome tip but nonetheless it was a chrome tip.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 15 2010, 09:34 AM) *

While you're at it Pat, that chrome tip also neatly fits over the 2.0 exhaust& was offered thru the dealers as an option

Hey Tom,
Are you saying that the 914-6 chrome exhaust tip was a dealer option that neatly fit the 914-4 2 liter banana muffler tail pipe?

Maybe Tom means 2-liter 6s? smile.gif Steve, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the original question, if you have any! popcorn[1].gif Feel like we've gone off-topic here.

Thanks
smg914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Apr 3 2010, 02:12 PM) *

Hey all - haven't been around for a while, nice to be back (read: nice to feed the addiction biggrin.gif)

So! What's the story w/ chrome exhaust tips? Seems natural to me to assume they're just an accessory added by dealers, so I was somewhat surprised to see them listed in PET under part # 901.111.245.01. What are peoples' thoughts on these from a strict 'originality' standpoint? Would you get dinged at Concours?

Thanks,

Reid

Although I've seen 914-6s with the stock exhaust without the chrome tip, I'd have to say that the vast majority of the sixes I've seen (with the stock exhaust) had the chrome tip. Back in the day, if you ordered a new OEM 914-6 muffler from the dealer, it came without the chrome tip. The tip would have to be ordered separately. I have to admit that all the times I've seen a 914-6 with a stock muffler and no chrome tip I would just assume it either the tip fell off or the original muffler was replaced and the chrome tip was never installed on the new muffler.

It is my understanding that 914-6s were delivered from the factory to the dealerships with the chrome tip installed. (verified with a friend that worked for Porsche for 35 years who sold many new 914-6s)

As far as Parade level concours judging or for that matter even events like the Zone 1 Concours, a judge may gig you for not having the correct chrome tip or if your 6 has the correct chrome tip but its either dirty, scratched or dinged.
smg914
A tid bit of information for you...............

When the factory installed the chrome tip on the 914-6 exhaust they had/have a special cone shaped device/tool that fits inside the tail pipe (with the chrome tip in place) they would then smack the cone shaped device with a small sledge hammer which would stretch the diameter of the tail pipe creating a tight fit preventing the possibility of the chrome tip from vibrating loose.

"And now you know the rest of the story"
Tom_T

Hey Tom,
Are you saying that the 914-6 chrome exhaust tip was a dealer option that neatly fit the 914-4 2 liter banana muffler tail pipe? I happen to have all three parts in my garage, so I went out and did some measurements. The diameter of the 914-6 tail pipe is approx 2 and 5/16 inches and the diameter of the 914-4 tail pipe is approx 1 and 13/16 inches. The diameter of the chrome tip is approx 2 and 1/2 inches. The chrome tip is designed to perfectly fit over the 914-6 tail pipe and tightly hold itself in place. To install the chrome tip, I place the wide side of a 2x4 over the end of the chrome tip and then tap it with a hammer to pinch it in place. This is not possible with the 914-4 2 liter tail pipe. The tail pipe is just too small for the chrome tip to stay in place without welding it or something. I really don't see anyway the 914-6 chrome tip could have been available as a dealer option for the 914-4 2 liter exhaust tail pipe. The diameter of the 914-4 tail pipe is just too small.

However, I do seem to remember there being a dealer option chrome tip available for the 914 1.7 liter exhaust tail pipe back in the day. This was a different part and nothing like the 914-6 chrome tip but nonetheless it was a chrome tip.

Hey - Thanx for the checking on that Steve! Now I know not to make the mistake to order the 914-6 one, & instead find an NOS 914-2.0 variety! biggrin.gif

I'd still like to know if such an option would be the death knell for a CdE judge to ding on points though? confused24.gif

If so, then I'd get one & wait until after I'm done with competing with the car, since it sounds like it would bugger-up the tailpipe paint putting it on & taking it off for events, etc.! idea.gif

IIRC the dealers offered both/3 914-1.7/1.8 & 914-2.0 &/or combo version (& 914-6) optional chrome tips as a part, with the 914/4 flavor possibly being a VoA/VPC item. They're listed in some of the options brochures on Jeff Bowlsby's website.

These pix below are from a 72 MY Porsche Dealer Accessory Brochure from Jeff's site, which shows the 1.7 variety, but I haven't found pix of the equivalent 73 MY with the 2.0 size (if different) anywhere yet, but I do recall asking for them at the local dealer when I bought my Hardt 914 Bike & Ski Racks there, but they never had them in stock back in the day! sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
^ Hey Pat - is the Blonde above your "Scandanavian Equipment " from your COA? laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
^ See item "E" above

So I KNOW for sure that they did exist, but just don't know what the PCA position at Region & Parade levels is on such period correct accessories & options such as this, side stripes, coco mats, etc.!!?? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Apr 3 2010, 03:12 PM) *

Thanks,

Reid

edit: what I meant by "I was somewhat surprised to see them listed in PET under part # 901.111.245.01" is that I'd previously assumed they were an aftermarket accessory.

914-6 variety still available at SMC & maybe others of the usual suspects too!
... @ AA George?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Apr 15 2010, 09:43 AM) *

While you're at it Pat, that chrome tip also neatly fits over the 2.0 exhaust& was offered thru the dealers as an option

Hey Tom,
Are you saying that the 914-6 chrome exhaust tip was a dealer option that neatly fit the 914-4 2 liter banana muffler tail pipe?

Maybe Tom means 2-liter 6s? smile.gif Steve, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the original question, if you have any! popcorn[1].gif Feel like we've gone off-topic here.

Thanks

WTF.gif
Don't be such a picky-ass, the original topic was "Chrome exhaust tips" - & I added a valid O&H question about the 914/4 variety - it was NOT off topic, & now you want to change the topic & added "for sixes"! dry.gif

Come on really - I mean really!!!! - do we have to have a friggin separate topic for each part type of exhaust tip 4 or 6?? That's what the Parts Vault is for, not picking apart fellow members for asking related questions!

Chrome exhaust tips - is - Chrome exhaust tips!!!!

How about re-revising your topic title back to the original, so that it has use for more than the few 1000 914-6ers out there, & cut us lowly 914/4 guys out here some slack! dry.gif

If I'm over reacting Lavanaut - then my apologies - but it's tax day & I've been fighting computer glitches, tax BS, etc. for a few weeks now, & this hit my last nerve left today! sad.gif
Pat Garvey
Tom,

The original topic title was directed towards 914/6 chrome tips (see the original description). I know that you have specific factory option info for the fours, and would suggest that you post that to a separate topic (please).

Not wanting to be an a__hole here, but it's my job to moderate the forum & try to make everyone happy. No harm done, but the original post was seeking 914/6 info.

Quite frankly, the four population would benefit from your findings, though they probably wouldn't look under a six topic for it.

Please repost your info under a new topic.

THX
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 15 2010, 05:41 PM) *

Tom,

The original topic title was directed towards 914/6 chrome tips (see the original description). I know that you have specific factory option info for the fours, and would suggest that you post that to a separate topic (please).

Not wanting to be an a__hole here, but it's my job to moderate the forum & try to make everyone happy. No harm done, but the original post was seeking 914/6 info.

Quite frankly, the four population would benefit from your findings, though they probably wouldn't look under a six topic for it.

THX
Pat

Pat - original post came to me as Chrome Exhaust Tips - period, sixes was added. I'm going to be a butt & say I've posted this shit once & won't be wasting more limited time now nor in the near future to post again for 4's!

This isn't the parts vault specific to a parts number & one topisc should suffice for 4 or 6 IMHO! bye1.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2010, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 15 2010, 05:41 PM) *

Tom,

THX
Pat

Pat - original post came to me as Chrome Exhaust Tips - period, sixes was added. I'm going to be a butt & say I've posted this shit once & won't be wasting more limited time now nor in the near future to post again for 4's!

This isn't the parts vault specific to a parts number & one topisc should suffice for 4 or 6 IMHO! bye1.gif

Tom, The original title was "chrome exhaust tips". Subtitle was "on the sixes"

I would suggest that you PM me with the verbal abuse, rather than subjecting the other members to it, as well as embarassing yourself publicly. Sorry you feel the way that you do, but recognize THIS - it is my job to moderate this forum & try to keep things on topic. I don't like episodes such as this & would happily transfer the responsibility to someone else. But, the fact is - I'm here now, and I'm going to do my job. BTW, profanity is useless & unnessecary.

Confused - thought we had good rappoir going.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 15 2010, 05:59 PM) *

I would suggest that you PM me with the verbal abuse, rather than subjecting the other members to it, as well as embarassing yourself publicly. Sorry you feel the way that you do, but recognize THIS - it is my job to moderate this forum & try to keep things on topic. I don't like episodes such as this & would happily transfer the responsibility to someone else. But, the fact is - I'm here now, and I'm going to do my job. BTW, profanity is useless & unnessecary.

Pat

Sorry Pat & Reid & All - bad day, bad week, etc. & no time to repost this stuff that I was just trying to help everybody with!
My sincere apologies!
pray.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2010, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 15 2010, 05:59 PM) *

Pat

Sorry Pat & Reid & All - bad day, bad week, etc. & no time to repost this stuff that I was just trying to help everybody with!
My sincere apologies!

Chill Tom!

We've all had bad weeks. Hell, I've made misery here more than once because of a bad week. No harm, no foul! Now repost that optional stuff in a new topic.
Pat
pray.gif

Lavanaut
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2010, 04:39 PM) *

Don't be such a picky-ass
now you want to change the topic & added "for sixes"!
not picking apart fellow members for asking related questions!
How about re-revising your topic title back to the original
cut us lowly 914/4 guys out here some slack!
original post came to me as Chrome Exhaust Tips - period, sixes was added
I've posted this shit once & won't be wasting more limited time now nor in the near future to post again for 4's
If I'm over reacting Lavanaut - then my apologies

huh.gif

Thanks for speaking up Pat.
Tom_T
I did apologize Reid - & a second time above, after Pat spoke up. sad.gif

Bad day/week/month - what more can I say - we've all had them, but some handle them better than my hissyfit! biggrin.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 15 2010, 12:15 PM) *
It is my understanding that 914-6s were delivered from the factory to the dealerships with the chrome tip installed. (verified with a friend that worked for Porsche for 35 years who sold many new 914-6s)

As far as Parade level concours judging or for that matter even events like the Zone 1 Concours, a judge may gig you for not having the correct chrome tip or if your 6 has the correct chrome tip but its either dirty, scratched or dinged.

I appreciate everyone's input, and Steve, thanks for elaborating a bit more. As I am very slowly going over every part of my car, I find it's these little details without much documentation that have a tendency to be the most frustrating!

QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 15 2010, 03:05 PM) *

When the factory installed the chrome tip on the 914-6 exhaust they had/have a special cone shaped device/tool that fits inside the tail pipe (with the chrome tip in place) they would then smack the cone shaped device with a small sledge hammer which would stretch the diameter of the tail pipe creating a tight fit preventing the possibility of the chrome tip from vibrating loose.

Ahhh, makes perfect sense! Man, there's something I find soooo satisfying learning little anecdotal tidbits like that - things that really exemplify the character of these cars, the people that built them, and the people that drive them.

Thanks for sharing. beerchug.gif

Tom_T
Peace offering Reid! biggrin.gif

FYI - this part new at SMC link below, is still available & not a bad price.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...etail&p=558

Note that they simply list as 911/914 applicablity, ergo my first question as to the 914-2.0 (/4).
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Apr 15 2010, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2010, 04:39 PM) *

Don't be such a picky-ass
now you want to change the topic & added "for sixes"!
not picking apart fellow members for asking related questions!
How about re-revising your topic title back to the original
cut us lowly 914/4 guys out here some slack!
original post came to me as Chrome Exhaust Tips - period, sixes was added
I've posted this shit once & won't be wasting more limited time now nor in the near future to post again for 4's
If I'm over reacting Lavanaut - then my apologies

huh.gif

Thanks for speaking up Pat.

It's my job.

But Tom has some interesting things to add. So I'll try to cull those posts to a new topic for fours.

You are all my buds, and I hate excercising the moderator thing. So, we'll try to make evreyone happy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.