Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk skew
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjbunn
The left rear side of my trunk lid doesn't quite fit flush with the body:

IPB Image

It almost looks as if the lid may be slightly bent. I can't figure out what is wrong with it, and that's annoying. Even though it's a minor flaw, my eye is always drawn to it. I've seen quite a few photos of 914s with the same problem. Does anybody know what's going on, and how to fix it? I haven't tried adjusting the hinge positions, perhaps I should do that?

Many thanks.
KaptKaos
Your hinge may be failing. Very common. Jwest has a replacement that works really well.

Or, you might be able to weld it back.

Take a look at the hinges and report back.
IronHillRestorations
That trunk lid is bent. Look at the line across the bottom on the left side. A good old time body guy might be able to tweak it.
McMark
agree.gif
Yup, looks bent.
EdwardBlume
I bet its both...
jjbunn
I checked the hinges: they look perfect. I'm not sure it's bent, or whether it just looks that way because of some adjustment problem. What is a good way of checking by measurement for a bend?
scotty b
Skew it...it's bent......
bembry
DAPO slammed the trunk on an improperly stowed top. They get much worse than that one.
jjbunn
QUOTE(bembry @ Apr 4 2010, 02:40 AM) *

DAPO slammed the trunk on an improperly stowed top. They get much worse than that one.

OK! Makes a lot of sense - now I don't feel quite so bad about it smile.gif Thanks!
bembry
Hey--let's see more pics of that white 74! That's my favorite color (See my white '73 on McMark's website getting a 2056!)
jjbunn
QUOTE(bembry @ Apr 4 2010, 10:19 AM) *

Hey--let's see more pics of that white 74! That's my favorite color (See my white '73 on McMark's website getting a 2056!)

I'll check it out piratenanner.gif

Here's one:

IPB Image

Another

And another
Jeffs9146
You can try to make minor adjustments by lowering the stop rubber on the drivers side and raising the stop rubber on the passenger side and even screw in the latch pin a little and see what happens.

All of this can be reversed easily so why not try!
EdwardBlume
Orignal CA blue plate too.... hard core!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 4 2010, 11:57 AM) *

You can try to make minor adjustments by lowering the stop rubber on the drivers side and raising the stop rubber on the passenger side and even screw in the latch pin a little and see what happens.

agree.gif ... it's worth a try,

... & I also agree that the edge line of the trunk is parallele for 1/2 of the taillight, then bends at an angle at the left, so it's got a bend or something that a body guy can probably coax back for you, then have him check that both hinges are solid while it's in there, & Restoration Design, AA, PP, etc. sell the original weld-on style hinge plates if you're looking to keep it as original.

Nice L80E pix, from yet another soon to return to same! biggrin.gif
jjbunn

Thanks, everyone. I'll give this a try, and report back.
914_teener
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Apr 4 2010, 10:27 PM) *

Dang... your L80E looks alot like mine,...I'm in Glendora. How long have you had it? AND you have the orig. plates like mine.

I've had the same prob. with my rear lid. I messed around with the latches when I first had it. The targa top was hitting the deck lid and I think the PO tweeked it a little. We should get together and take laps around the Rose Bowl sometime!

Rob

jjbunn
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 5 2010, 11:55 AM) *

Dang... your L80E looks alot like mine,...I'm in Glendora. How long have you had it? AND you have the orig. plates like mine.

I've had the same prob. with my rear lid. I messed around with the latches when I first had it. The targa top was hitting the deck lid and I think the PO tweeked it a little. We should get together and take laps around the Rose Bowl sometime!

Rob

Hey Rob ... I bought it about a year ago from Jim Thorusen up in Lancaster. The colour is growing on me: given a choice at the time I'd have picked yellow. The blue plates are good to have (though mine are looking pretty tatty now).

Give me a shout next time you're coming into Pasadena, and we can compare L80E shades (actually I know mine has been fairly recently resprayed, and I'm not at all sure of the trueness of the shade).
914_teener
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Apr 5 2010, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 5 2010, 11:55 AM) *

Rob

Hey Rob ... I bought it about a year ago from Jim Thorusen up in Lancaster. The colour is growing on me: given a choice at the time I'd have picked yellow. The blue plates are good to have (though mine are looking pretty tatty now).

Give me a shout next time you're coming into Pasadena, and we can compare L80E shades (actually I know mine has been fairly recently resprayed, and I'm not at all sure of the trueness of the shade).

Ok...will do, my Mom still lives there...go all the time.

Ok also going to the G&R meet in Riverside.....hopefully to sell stuff.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.