Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HEADS!..New Castings , Replacement performance heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Speedster Mike
Has anyone used these heads from this company Called DRD Racing? Their web site looks really good! Here's a link.
http://www.drdracingheads.com/index.php Their heads are New Castings! Looks like the L5 and L6 Heads are the way to go!....anyone got info ?
r_towle
All type one heads??

Rich
tat2dphreak
1500/pr for 44mm x 38mm... for all new head, doesn't seem THAT bad, of a price... but I have not heard of this company.
McMark
Except for the Type 4 / 914 heads. tongue.gif
DBCooper
I didn't know that he did T4 heads, but Darren is extremely well known and respected in the VW aircooled racing community. No one questions his work, the only complaint you'll hear is that he's so busy that it takes 6-8 months to get your heads delivered. Search at cal-look.com, those are the hard-core racers.
904svo
Those heads look like AMC heads from Spain.
qa1142
see the last line?

"This product is no longer avaible"
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Apr 4 2010, 10:32 AM) *

see the last line?

the L5 and L6 do not say that. only L3 and L7
Speedster Mike
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 4 2010, 07:57 AM) *

QUOTE(qa1142 @ Apr 4 2010, 10:32 AM) *

see the last line?

the L5 and L6 do not say that. only L3 and L7

The price for the L5 and L6 heads don't seem bad compaired to everyone else on new heads! I was just curious to see if anybody here on the forum had bought their heads and if so how was their product? Where they everything they were suppose to be and was this a reputable company?
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 3 2010, 11:37 PM) *

OK...I missed that.

I would buy them at 1500 for the pair...yup.

Rich
Speedster Mike
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 4 2010, 03:30 PM) *

OK...I missed that.

Rich

Actually $1300 for the L5 heads should be fine for a stock 2.0 engine with carbs or the 2056cc or the 2270cc stroker motor .....sounds like a fairly decent price considering what you would pay for a performance rebuild with old castings....what do you guys think? I'm going to give them a call tomorrow!
tat2dphreak
I would give Len(Ham Inc) a call too... they are making new heads that will be similarly priced as well... at least worth checking to compare..
biosurfer1
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 4 2010, 07:00 PM) *

similarly priced

That is a loose term, last time I checked I thought his CNC heads were $2k+? confused24.gif
904svo
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 4 2010, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 4 2010, 07:00 PM) *

similarly priced

That is a loose term, last time I checked I thought his CNC heads were $2k+? confused24.gif

Check his web site you will find out the heads are rework by Len (Ham Inc) with
new seats, valves and valve guides. Which will hold up better than the stock
ones that are installed.
biosurfer1
Ah..I thought Len was no rebuilding heads anymore, just working on the new ones
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Speedster Mike @ Apr 4 2010, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 4 2010, 03:30 PM) *

OK...I missed that.

Rich

Actually $1300 for the L5 heads should be fine for a stock 2.0 engine with carbs or the 2056cc or the 2270cc stroker motor .....sounds like a fairly decent price considering what you would pay for a performance rebuild with old castings....what do you guys think? I'm going to give them a call tomorrow!

I wouldn't choke down a 2270 with unworked AMC heads. The heads and exhaust are key to getting the potential out of that motor. Maybe a 2056 though...
mike373
biosurfer1,

Last I heard, Len was using the new AMC castings. He does machine work on them to get them to his specs, and ditches all the inferior hardware that comes with them and replaces them with better valves, guides, springs and keepers.

Mike
Speedster Mike
Len Hoffman and Jake Raby definately have set the standard for Performanc heads ,Type IV engine research and development and great guys to boot! In my book They are the Best. I'm on a pretty strict budget so...I've been doing alot of research on heads and rebuilding and I came across this company that I had not heard anyone on this forum mention. It looks like the L5 and L6 new casting heads from DRD Racing are not just stock castings but reworked and machined for performanced NEW casting heads at a competitive price. Who are these people? Nice web site! Are they for real? I don't recall anyone mentioning their name before on this or some of the other Type IV forums.
DBCooper
Yes, they are more than real, Darren is a kind of legend in the Volkswagen T1 racing community, the best. Literally the best, as in no one better. Go to the Cal-Look forum (cal-look.com) and ask that same question and you'll be laughed out of the place. Like I said above, those are the most serious aircooled VW racers around. Jake Raby is accepted there as an equal, not a superior being.

I don't know anything about Darren's T4 work, but he knows aircooled heads and he knows flow and is a perfectionist. The only negative I've heard is that he's a one-man shop and it often takes a LONG TIME to get your heads. Like I suggested, go to Cal-Look and look around, ask, do a search.
r_towle
Is someone working with him?
I would sure like to see some results regarding these heads at that price...

Rich
brer
I saw type 4 heads on his site last year, year before maybe, but have yet to see a pair or actually hear of someone running them. There was some talk on Samba regarding them at one point and some speculation he was having new castings made, but no one has volunteered any first hand experience.

If anyone is actually using a set speak up!
bobhasissues
QUOTE(Speedster Mike @ Apr 4 2010, 05:16 PM) *

The price for the L5 and L6 heads don't seem bad compaired to everyone else on new heads!

Mike,
Please reveal who is "everyone else" that sells new T4 heads. I only knew of DRD & Hoffman offering new heads. Someone else posted about DRD heads last spring (I tagged DRD in my favorites at that time), but there were not a lot of responses to that thread.
It would be great if Len would chime in and contribute a comparison, but until he does, here is what I notice related to DRD vs. Hoffman:
Hoffman LE180 has plugs relocated to match the Porsche 2.0 spec heads, no mention of that with DRD.
LE180 has new/improved seats & guides, and stainless valves.
LE180 has Porsche 2.0 spec combustion chambers, DRD says reshaped chambers.
DRD L5 says new valves, L6 says stainless valves.
Looks like DRD L5 prices start at $1300 due to the "<" next to the price, so finished heads may be substantially more.
DRD L5 or L6 look to be really nice heads, but they don't appear to be 2.0 replicas like the Hoffman LE180 (& LE190? if still available).
It would be great if someone could find out all the facts about DRD and their options though.
brer
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Apr 5 2010, 11:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Speedster Mike @ Apr 4 2010, 05:16 PM) *

The price for the L5 and L6 heads don't seem bad compaired to everyone else on new heads!

Mike,
Please reveal who is "everyone else" that sells new T4 heads. I only knew of DRD & Hoffman offering new heads. Someone else posted about DRD heads last spring (I tagged DRD in my favorites at that time), but there were not a lot of responses to that thread.
It would be great if Len would chime in and contribute a comparison, but until he does, here is what I notice related to DRD vs. Hoffman:
Hoffman LE180 has plugs relocated to match the Porsche 2.0 spec heads, no mention of that with DRD.
LE180 has new/improved seats & guides, and stainless valves.
LE180 has Porsche 2.0 spec combustion chambers, DRD says reshaped chambers.
DRD L5 says new valves, L6 says stainless valves.
Looks like DRD L5 prices start at $1300 due to the "<" next to the price, so finished heads may be substantially more.
DRD L5 or L6 look to be really nice heads, but they don't appear to be 2.0 replicas like the Hoffman LE180 (& LE190? if still available).
It would be great if someone could find out all the facts about DRD and their options though.

Pretty much any VW head shop can order the new castings last i checked, its more a question of what preparation you would like done and who has stepped up with a market offering.

I can order new castings and and have the spark plugs relocated and 2L chambers cut for about $1400 without ordering from these two suppliers if I really wanted to.

Its just a matter of who you trust and who can do the job to your standards.
HAM Inc
I don't make a habit of commenting on competitors work, at least not when it comes to specifics. Though I have not seen to much of Darrens work, I have spoken to him on the phone and he is a very nice guy, and seems pretty knowledgeable.

I do know that there are other competent machinist out there, for that I am grateful as I already have more work than I can do, (for which I am also grateful).

The problem is finding one who is willing to work with used T4 castings and deal with ALL of the issues they present, (from previous hack work, to cracks, to damaged sparkplug threads, worn or eroded exhaust gasket surfaces, butchered ex stud bosses, not to mention all of the routine work they require) without either ignoring the issues or doing patch work.
Even a competent machinist will "max out" his commmitment to "value added service" at a point typically short of that required by most used T4 heads. Over the years I have seen a steady parade of heads that had just been picked up by my new customer from some shop or another (some from a popular West Coast shop, not DRD) that had issues not dealt with or work that was questionable to the owner, so he shipped them to me to straighten things out.

That is why I stoppped working with used T4 heads. I found that I was going to have to raise my prices again to keep them profitable if I intended to keep my commitment to shipping truly ready to install heads.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but the quantity of quality used castings flowing into my shop has really declined in the last two years. I still prep used heads fro racers, as we are required to use O.E. castings, but it really is a drag having to spend hours of casting repair and cleaning up details before I can get down to the business of making some power out of the darn things.

I put a tremendous amount of effort into ensuring that each pair of heads that leaves my shop are the best offering anyone can buy anywhere on the planet. That includes a lot QC work on each operation and constant attention to details, plus ongoing tweaking of designs and flowbench work.
As all of you are well aware this does not come cheap. I'm sure that most of you in the market for heads have developed sticker shock when seeing how much a pair of new HAM heads runs. I don't blame anyone for that. I wish the raw materials weren't so expensive, just as I wish the original castings were heartier and the supply of quality used castings deepers. But such is life.

I am very proud of the fact that I have yet to hear anyone complain that they felt they didn't get what they paid for when they purchased a pair of my heads. I don't mean for this to sound like a sales pitch. I just wanted to let the members hear my feelings on the subject at hand.
904svo
I have a set of the RS heads that Len did. It is quality work!!!!!!
For the money you spend on rebuilding a engine its Worth it to
buy new heads and not try to used old rework heads which the
valve seat may fall out while running.

Just my $.02 Its money well spent!
Speedster Mike
Len,
You definately are the top authority in Type IV heads. You've been doing them a long time. I must say In my book you are a class act guy! ....You took time to talk to me about my type IV head issues in the past. You were very informative and helpful. You are the best ! ....that's why I called. Unfortunately I can't afford to do anything right now because of my budget. Of course that's my problem not yours. I know your products are the best available or Jake would not use them. Both of you guys are top shelf , I have Never heard anyone ever complain about your work or products....I know you stand behind what you do....You only do it once and you do it right. I like that....alot. I'm like anyone else who just doe'snt have alot of doe to throw at a project....We finally realize we just don't have the funds to do it the way we would really like to so we start looking for some way to salvage the project. That's me and probably a lot of other guys too. I hope I did'nt ruffle any feathers here......I did'nt mean to. You guys are Great!. I just asked if anybody had any experience with DRD Racing and their Type IV new casting performance heads. It looked like a good product....You never know till you ask....right! I did call the company and talked to Darren. He also is a really nice guy and he had nothing but really good things to say about you and Jake. Understand I am and was not trying to pick at you or Jake or anyone else for that matter in relation to price or product. I do hope one day I can do business with you guys. Thanks again for your time.

Mike
Jake Raby
I have nothing but good things to say about Darren at DRD. If you go that route I'd have him give a written commitment to a "worst case" shipping date for the heads as delivery has been my only issue with him, but that was on a pair of Type 1 heads.

Darren has prepped one single pair of T4 heads for me back in 2005, based on AMC castings.

Just spend your money wisely and think about what you will do if what you buy doesn't work out for some reason, always plan on worst case scenario.
Speedster Mike
Thanks Jake!.....That's good advice. I appreciate you guys!
Speedster Mike
QUOTE(brer @ Apr 5 2010, 07:40 AM) *

I saw type 4 heads on his site last year, year before maybe, but have yet to see a pair or actually hear of someone running them. There was some talk on Samba regarding them at one point and some speculation he was having new castings made, but no one has volunteered any first hand experience.

If anyone is actually using a set speak up!

Anybody?
bobhasissues
QUOTE(Speedster Mike @ Apr 4 2010, 09:32 PM) *

So Mike, Did you get heads from DRD?
Speedster Mike
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ May 3 2010, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Speedster Mike @ Apr 4 2010, 09:32 PM) *

So Mike, Did you get heads from DRD?

Still haven't pulled the trigger on head purchase....but I have to make a decision soon. My biggest problem is the money thing!...I have a budget. Any advice?
Borderline
I bought a set of heads from DRD and they look great. I'm having other issues with the engine, but so far I am happy with the heads. He even relocated the plugs to the 2.0L location and included it in the $1500. Last time I looked the Raby prices were over $2K.
Speedster Mike
Bill,
When did you order them and how long did it take to get them in your hands? Good quality? Everthing that you had expected? Thank for the info!

Mike
Speedster Mike
QUOTE(Speedster Mike @ Jun 7 2010, 01:09 PM) *

Bill,
When did you order them and how long did it take to get them in your hands? Good quality? Everthing that you had expected? Thank for the info!

Mike

Update: 11/12/2011.....Hey guys I had forgotten about this thread....last input was on june 7th 2010. I did finally make a decision.....I saved up my money and bought the L5 heads from Darren at DRD Racing in California. They were everything he said they would be.....He does great work and he also relocated the plugs and reshaped the combustion chambers to the 2.0 specs. Got performance dual Valve springs and stainless steel valves.....all the good stuff! He also matched my intake ports to my heads for no extra charge!

Mike
tornik550
I'll add a little bit to this conversation. First, I have had various work done by drd. They have alway been great. I recently had some work done and I was shocked by how quickly the work was done.

Second, in the past I have had bugpatch do work for me. The work was always great and Don was very helpful. When I was looking for heads, like many of us I couldn't find good cores and I couldn't spend +2000 on new heads. I knew that don does a fair amount of work on t4 heads. He has a CNC machine and developed a program to match 2.0 combustion chambers CNC cuts ports. He has the flow data to back up his claims of increased flow. IIRC it is compared to stock heads and not competitors. He made me a set using AMC castings which are converted to 2.0 chambers. Plugs relocated, new seats, guides, etc. Mine has new 44/38 valves. I know there is some debate about 38 or 36 mm valves. He can make you whatever size you want.

I am in no way connected to bugpatch. I am just posting this as a happy customer. I should say that, as my other posts clearly show, I am far from an expert.

I am typing this on my phone so I will try to post pics later.
tornik550
Here are some pics of my Bugpatch Heads-
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TJB/914
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 13 2011, 09:16 PM) *

I purchased Raby & Len's LE-180 heads for my 2.0 liter engine and completely satisified with the quality and performance. I researched long & hard before making my decision. I know it's a money decision, but cylinder heads & cams are key eliments in a rebuild. I like my Raby #9550 cam & Len LE-180 head decision.
BTW: I noticed the heads shown above by tornik550 do not have the (3) exhaust studs that you get with Len's heads. Photo's of my LE-180 Raby/Len Heads. pray.gif

Tom
silver74insocal
oh pretty pictures!! anyone got flow data? smile.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 13 2011, 08:41 AM) *

I'll add a little bit to this conversation. First, I have had various work done by drd. They have alway been great. I recently had some work done and I was shocked by how quickly the work was done.

Second, in the past I have had bugpatch do work for me. The work was always great and Don was very helpful. When I was looking for heads, like many of us I couldn't find good cores and I couldn't spend +2000 on new heads. I knew that don does a fair amount of work on t4 heads. He has a CNC machine and developed a program to match 2.0 combustion chambers CNC cuts ports. He has the flow data to back up his claims of increased flow. IIRC it is compared to stock heads and not competitors. He made me a set using AMC castings which are converted to 2.0 chambers. Plugs relocated, new seats, guides, etc. Mine has new 44/38 valves. I know there is some debate about 38 or 36 mm valves. He can make you whatever size you want.

I am in no way connected to bugpatch. I am just posting this as a happy customer. I should say that, as my other posts clearly show, I am far from an expert.

I am typing this on my phone so I will try to post pics later.

How much were your heads from Bugpatch?
TheCabinetmaker
I'm betting part of the price difference between Bugpatch and Len is not plugging and drilling for the 3 bolt intake?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 14 2011, 06:10 AM) *

I'm betting part of the price difference between Bugpatch and Len is not plugging and drilling for the 3 bolt intake?

IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
I said "part". LOL. Yes i can see the difference.
rtalich
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 13 2011, 06:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

They say 'a picture is worth a 1000 words'.... what did they use? A dremel tool? WOW.....
tornik550
QUOTE(rtalich @ Nov 14 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They say 'a picture is worth a 1000 words'.... what did they use? A dremel tool? WOW.....

This is one of the problems with this website- nobody is interested in seeing any alternative to certain shops. Nobody questions that lens are the best however the price is often out of the range that most want to spend. For example, I am simply having fun building my engine. I plan on using it for rare street use so spending +2500 on heads isn't a great idea. I posted the pics so that others in similar situations can see the alternatives. I realize that they are not of the caliber of Lens heads however nobody claimed they were.

The original topic of this thread was DRD heads. Nobody has owned up to owning and set and posted pics- probably because they will catch a bunch of crap if they do.

Also- for the record- the marks in the chambers are from the CNC machine and are barely palpable.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 14 2011, 03:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is one of the problems with this website- nobody is interested in seeing any alternative to certain shops. Nobody questions that lens are the best however the price is often out of the range that most want to spend. For example, I am simply having fun building my engine. I plan on using it for rare street use so spending +2500 on heads isn't a great idea. I posted the pics so that others in similar situations can see the alternatives. I realize that they are not of the caliber of Lens heads however nobody claimed they were.

The original topic of this thread was DRD heads. Nobody has owned up to owning and set and posted pics- probably because they will catch a bunch of crap if they do.

Also- for the record- the marks in the chambers are from the CNC machine and are barely palpable.

Both heads look good to me. It's a matter of what one is trying to achieve. The Bugpatch heads look better suited to a high compression set up than Len's heads. I do not believe their is an advantage to having a 3 bolt opposed to a 4 bolt setup for mounting your manifolds. Len's head do look like there were finished with a Drimmel type tool. Having ported a few heads myself that is what they look like when ported by hand using a rotary tool. The heads done with the CNC machine should be a better mactch once cc'd.

AndyB
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 14 2011, 06:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

agree.gif I fully support there are other manufacturers out there. Of course when you can afford a 2270 I guess its easy to find flaws. I say great job Tornik550 you looked at all the options and went with what you can afford. Nothing wrong with not being engine poor.
Jake Raby
Len's head do look like there were finished with a Drimmel type tool

I think you might be confused?
914work
is it just the picture or are the EX ports on those heads smaller and round vs oval?
tornik550
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 14 2011, 08:15 PM) *

is it just the picture or are the EX ports on those heads smaller and round vs oval?

Its just the picture.
Speedster Mike
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Nov 14 2011, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 14 2011, 08:15 PM) *

Its just the picture.

I'll try to get some pics up of the DRD Heads in a day or two. (I'm at the office right now) Pics are on my computor at home. They were very nice as well. I did'nt need or want the 4 bolt converted over to the 3 bolt intake set up so I did'nt see the need to spend the extra money for that. However Darren would have been happy to have done that also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.