Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knute Qvale Passes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
minermike2003
A Great Man, Mr. Knute M. Qvale passed away March 11th. Knute dared to distribute the beloved VW Beetle in the early 50's when Tailfin Dealers of the time scoffed at the odd looking little car. His Distributorship grew to 83 Dealers in 5 States, based in Hillsboro Oregon. He later added Porsche/Audi, and became the first Oregon businessman to provide profit sharing to his employees. In the early years he traveled from dealer to dealer to address service issues. In later years his Lear Jet brought a new era to the Hillsboro Airport. I was involved with the VW, Porsche Audi retail network from about 1967 up through 1983. I was a District Sales Manager for Mr. Qvale, and have not met a finer individual. I was there with him at Terminal 4 in Portland when the first 914's arrived to do battle, (retail), with the Toyota Celica. In 1963 he brought a Factory Porsche 904 over to compete in the first Portland Rose Cup Race, promptly putting the favored Chevrolet powered Cheeta to shame. He was also insturmental in early formula Vee Racing. He will be greatly missed. Mike Clark.
Porsche Rescue
As a Portlander, I was aware of him and knew his dealership. Bought a new tangerine 1970 from his Continental Porsche-Audi.
Met his daughter once or twice in college. The guy who first married her soon had his name on the door of a P-A dealership in Beaverton, now Sunset Imports.
BKLA
Met him when I was 19. Bought his petrol blue 1978 928 (used) in 1980 from LM Porsche Audi after I heard about it from a friend in Eugene, where I grew up. Drove up to portland and met with Dan Fajardo, (now the Audi Manager) and picked up the car.

He was Porsche Audi northwest.

Like the great Vasek Polak, Mr. Knute M. Qvale will be missed!
ghuff
A business associate of mine actually brought the Qvale Mangusta to the United States or sold them. Any relation to this man? Bruce Qvale vs knute?
minermike2003
QUOTE(ghuff @ Apr 5 2010, 03:49 PM) *

A business associate of mine actually brought the Qvale Mangusta to the United States or sold them. Any relation to this man? Bruce Qvale vs knute?

Could be a nephew. Knutes brother Kjell was the British Motor Car Distributor in San Francisco, and was later involved in trying to remarket a new MG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.