Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Painting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Hello All,

I am planning on restoring my targa top. When someone painted my car prior to me buying it they went ahead and painted the targa top with the same paint as the body. I would like to bring it back to that flat black paint as it was originally.

Any suggestions as to where I can get the paint to do a home job?

Thanks

ED
help.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(EdArango @ Apr 4 2010, 12:20 PM) *

Hello All,

I am planning on restoring my targa top. When someone painted my car prior to me buying it they went ahead and painted the targa top with the same paint as the body. I would like to bring it back to that flat black paint as it was originally.

Any suggestions as to where I can get the paint to do a home job?

Thanks

ED
help.gif

My first suggestion would be to start with a new top. The texture just won't be right with all that paint on the old top.
McMark
You can sand it down and refinish it. The texture is a problem because the original texture was part of the fabrication process. A lot of people have been happy with using a texturized spray paint from the hardware store. It's not a perfect reproduction, but I've seen them done and they are suitable recreations.
scotty b
3M rock guard will get close to the original texture, but if you haven't used it buy 2 cans. One to practice and learn with. It can vary greatly depending on how close you are to the surface, how long you let it set between coats etc.

As for the black, go to your local paint supplier and get a pint of single stage satin black. I use Spies Heckers " Rallyeblack " It is the correct color for rally stripes on muscle cars.

One more option that looks good IMO is to take it to a spray on bedliner shop. Panel Billy just did this to his. There is a thread somewhere close by
Joe Bob
There are more tops around than 914s. Post a WTB ad, So Cal is full of them.
914four
I think some one recently used Line-X with good results.

welcome.png
rick 918-S
I'm with Scotty. You can get clear rocker shultz in a spray can. With a little practice it will match the texture perfect. Use a gun to spray the black though. It's hard not to stripe it up. The black is not reccomended with a spray can. I did my top many years ago with this stuff but used a rocker shultz gun with a thinned down version of the tan product. Full strength will produce a very rough finish. Too rough.
Pat Garvey
Agree with Todd - get another top. Even if it has no hardware, you can move those pieces from the one you have.

By the way, it wasn't painted flat black. It was satin black.
Pat
PanelBilly
QUOTE(PH1 @ Apr 4 2010, 05:41 PM) *

I think some one recently used Line-X with good results.

welcome.png

It was me aqnd I think it looks great
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.