Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brett Johnson's first printing (1989)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I've had the first edition since new. It's old, tired & splitting on the back - just like me.

A page fell out of it yesterday & has me confused, since it is a great resource (with minor flaws) for originality & resto.

Those who have it, refer to page 5, top photo.

What IS this car. Look closely. It's not a highly detailed photo, but these are the things I see:

1. It's obviously a very early 914, based on the rear license cutout.
2. It's a euro 4 cylinder, based on the rear markings, lenses & rear fog.
3. The rear bumper top appears to be painted on the top edges, yet the lower edges are black.
4. The rear bumper is black, not chrome or body color.
5. The rear valance is shortened & modified for SIDE exiting exhaust (huge pipe).
6. Way fat tires for the era & a four.

Anyone know?
Pat
bandjoey
Picture?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 4 2010, 07:31 PM) *

Picture?

The original pic is old black & white and not clear to start with. If I try to reproduce it, it will only be worse. If you have the book, refer to it on page 5.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 4 2010, 06:40 PM) *

If you have the book

I don't sad.gif
Pat Garvey
Pic added here. I told you it wasn't a good pic & reducing it for this post doesn't help.
Pat
sixerdon
It's probably just a modified 914. Engine unknown. Since you have the picture Pat, you can read on the rear glass that it belongs to someone in the "Porsche 914 Club -Holland". If you go to page vii, you will find a gentleman at the top of the list who has the only photo's of a '70 /4 from "Holland" in this book. With this book now over 20 years old, what are the chances he still owns this car?
Is it an "authentic" photo of a Euro '70/4 that should be used in this "A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity"? Probably not. But, then again, I don't own a Euro '70/4, so it doesn't matter to me.
Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Apr 4 2010, 08:08 PM) *

It's probably just a modified 914. Engine unknown. Since you have the picture Pat, you can read on the rear glass that it belongs to someone in the "Porsche 914 Club -Holland". If you go to page vii, you will find a gentleman at the top of the list who has the only photo's of a '70 /4 from "Holland" in this book. With this book now over 20 years old, what are the chances he still owns this car?
Is it an "authentic" photo of a Euro '70/4 that should be used in this "A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity"? Probably not. But, then again, I don't own a Euro '70/4, so it doesn't matter to me.
Don

Yeah, probably should have posted this on the Originality Forum, but went for a broader audience.

Just that it's a blatant anomoly to an otherwise very useful tome, and I was curious about the car.
jd74914
Completely unrelated to the discussion, that exhaust tip is in a cool spot. I think I'm going to point the tip on my project car in that direction. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.