Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: static electricity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Guy from work sent this to me today, I always thought it was possible to start a fire while pumping gas but had never seen it..

http://216.144.230.195/Videos/Mediu...Pumping_Gas.wmv
oops,

now this link doesnt work, I'll try to find another
TheCabinetmaker
Link don work. confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Yes, it is possible. I've seen several videotapes. (N.B., it seems to be impossible for a cell phone to start a gasoline fire, but static will do it.)

Always touch something metal after you get out of your car before putting gas in it. If you have to get back into the car after you start filling, make sure to touch something metal when you get out again. And if a fire does start, do not pull the nozzle out of the tank!! It will just spray gas everywhere, making a much much larger fire.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(7391420 @ Mar 30 2004, 04:40 PM)
now this link doesnt work, I'll try to find another

those 3 dots in the url aren't right ...
Sorry folks,

I tried to find a different address, the one I left works on my computer and goes right to a cool short video, but once I copied it, now it doens't work...
SirAndy
QUOTE(7391420 @ Mar 31 2004, 09:45 AM)
I tried to find a different address, the one I left works on my computer and goes right to a cool short video, but once I copied it, now it doens't work...

the url is too long for your browser window.
it substitutes (sp?) by cutting out the middle part and entering 3 dots ...
that's why it works for you but not when you copy it over cause you copy the 3 dots instead of the real url.

what Browser and OS are you using?
Andy
Dave_Darling
You need to do a "copy shortcut location", instead of just selecting and copying the link that gets displayed. Same thing happens on the Bird board...

--DD
davep
http://216.144.230.195/Videos/Medium_WMP8/...Pumping_Gas.wmv

I assume WMP 8 or higher is required, 7 crashed to reboot on me. WMP 9 works.
seanery
I'd say she got lucky.
GaroldShaffer
Shit ohmy.gif she was lucky.

One of those dateline type shows had something about static electricity last fall. same thing only the ladt wasn't so lucky she was burned to death. i think was in Ohio?

Always touch something metal after you get out of your car before putting gas in it.

same thing applys when using metal gas cans make
sure you are "discharged" before you touch it. Neighbor when I was a kid burned down his garage because he move the gas can and the static charge lit it up.

Garold
Mueller
almost looked like it was staged, see how often she "adjusts" her top ?????
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 31 2004, 12:08 PM)
almost looked like it was staged, see how often she "adjusts" her top ?????

haha, you haven't been dating for quite a while, haven't you? laugh.gif

dude, there's nothing staged about that ...
wink.gif Andy
JoshuaSkinner
Damn! If she hadn't gotten back in and out of the car she would have been ok. Cars drain off static through the tires. The straps that people screw to their cars to drain off static are for fools. Although Michelin did fail to compund one very popular tire (on Honda Accords no less) with enough carbon and toll booth attendands were gettig zapped. Fuel pump hoses have a conductor inside them to prevent static buildup, but I believe they also have a resistor like an anti-static wrist strap for electrnics work to drain the charge slowly and not creat a spark. Imagine how much larger a fire there would have been without a vapor recovery nozzle? Also don't forget to take gas cans out of lined truck beds!

Joshua Skinner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.