Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ladies and gentlemen, I GOT ONE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silverstreak
Well, I am now the proud owner of a 74 2.0. I found it on Craigslist a couple weeks ago and finally got out to see it today. Half hour later she was mine. Body is straight more or less. Has new paint unfortunatley, hiding bad stuff I'm afraid. Motor cranks but no start, there is either fuel or water unsure.gif in the oil. Scary, I know. It has duel Dellorto carbs, one of which was stuck wide open (more on that later). A PO was twoing it on a dolly and the rear deck lid flipped up or something so the lid is bent in middle (that's why it doesn't line up in the pics) and the hinges are bent. Probably not to hard a fix. He gave me a new in box fiberglass lid but the steel one may be salvagable. I welcome any thoughts on whether I should just use the fiberglass one. Anyway, enough rambling here's some pics.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Sounds like a good candidate...

Silverstreak
Click to view attachment
Silverstreak
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Looks good, just add jack stands! lol-2.gif Seriously, Looks like a good start! aktion035.gif
Silverstreak
Man, I suck at adding pics. I'll have to reduce their size and add later. Thanks! confused24.gif
Silverstreak
That's my towtruck BTW, and as a towman I was shocked that this car came equiped with a screw in towing eyelit! All the newer German rides have em, I never would have suspected it on a car this old. The eyebolt is gone of course, have the stock jack though!
hot_shoe914
Welcome to the madness and welcome.png
oz371
Awesome congrats!! welcome.png
Tom_T
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Apr 4 2010, 09:14 PM) *

welcome.png

... get that rear bumper attended to & rechromed properly, before it goes to dust - they're NLA & expensive in chrome!
zymurgist
welcome.png Nice find! Original FI parts can be found if the engine doesn't need to be rebuilt... but if you insist on keeping carbs and the engine needs to be rebuilt anyway, you can also find a proper cam that will work with carbs.
effutuo101
welcome.png
Let the maddness begin! Glad to see another one rescued from sitting on the ground and put back on jackstands... smile.gif
I agree. that is a great place to start.
Welcome to your support group.
72914S
Welcome!! I too live in P`cola. Get up with me I`m always doing something new to my `72.
stepuptotheMike
Welcome!! As others have said, looks like a good start. Hopefully you won't find too many demons hiding under that paint.

Mike
Cairo94507
Congratulations on your find and purchase. I love to see these beauties being restored and then driven. Good luck on getting her running.

Usually, if I am lucky, I see one or two 914's on the road per week.
76-914
welcome.png Welcome to our disease. We do everything we can to spread this sickness. BTW, sometime this year you will figure out that you didn't get a 914; a 914 got you. lol-2.gif
Root_Werks
welcome.png
Al Meredith
Welcome, I'd put the fiberglass deck in the classifieds and sell to a recer. Buy a used steel one , the FG ones are not ment to be as smooth as the steel.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Apr 4 2010, 09:23 PM) *

That's my towtruck BTW, and as a towman

welcome.png
Your own tow truck...and a 914--that's a match made in heaven. Well, you've found a great place to land. The World members are very helpful and an awesome resource of knowledge.

Your first task is to find the "search" feature and start reading.
Great Find,
Mark
Cheapsnake
MWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously, welcome to our madness. If you need any advice on how to spend your money or spare time, we're here to help.

Tom
Ian Stott
Even people from foreign countries will help you spend your money! Welcome to the club, your 914 is very similar to my 73 2.0. let us know where you get bumpers chromed and what it cost, mine need to be done, not rusty like yours but a few small dents and discolouration from stupid stickers.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
spare time toys
You got a tow truck and mentioned it here??? You now have alot more best friends!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
it looks like a great start! welcome.png welcome!
Silverstreak
QUOTE(72914S @ Apr 5 2010, 06:56 AM) *

Welcome!! I too live in P`cola. Get up with me I`m always doing something new to my `72.

Cool! Glad to know there's another enthusiast in town! I've only seen one on the road around here. It's a nice white one. Is yours a runner?
Silverstreak
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Apr 5 2010, 03:39 PM) *

You got a tow truck and mentioned it here??? You now have alot more best friends!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Hell yeah, any 914 owners in my area get there car towed on the house. (Well maybe buy me lunch or teach me some 914 stuff)
Silverstreak
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 5 2010, 09:06 AM) *

welcome.png Welcome to our disease. We do everything we can to spread this sickness. BTW, sometime this year you will figure out that you didn't get a 914; a 914 got you. lol-2.gif

Some time this year? Try some time this week! I drained the oil today and the first quart was crystal clear water! The silly bastard of a PO installed hideous grey indoor house carpet in the rear trunk and interior and used self tapping screws to do so! Spent the first hours with the car cursing the PO while ripping up the carpet cause most of the screws wouldn't come out all the way. Gotta say though, I'm loving every second of it! It is a sickness. screwy.gif
johannes
Welcome to the 914 world ...

The french guy ...

Smitty911
It seems to me that regardless of the condition of our beloved cars, running or not, there is a huge Pride in Owner.

I felt great the first day I towed my '74 2.0 home. Pissed after looking around at all the PO "Fixes". I'm sure someone will say the same thing about me, should I have to move her to a new family.

Enjoy the ride, and when you get her running enjoy the Drive.

Smitty
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
Even thought my car did not run when I bought it, and I knew I I was just going to tear it apart - I was huge proud of it when I got it home.

And, yeah. Every owner is someones future DAPO. Nothin' we can do about that.

Zach
Silverstreak
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 6 2010, 11:01 AM) *

agree.gif
Even thought my car did not run when I bought it, and I knew I I was just going to tear it apart - I was huge proud of it when I got it home.

And, yeah. Every owner is someones future DAPO. Nothin' we can do about that.

Zach

Haha yeah I was proud the whole way home with it on my faltbed. It was great to see it in motion. Can't wait to fire it up. Great point on the PO thing, now that the carpets gone I feel better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.