Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new RHD 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edwin
Hey guys.
Been on here a while now but finaly have a 914 close to being on the road. It's a '72 but has a sideshift gearbox, 5 stud wheels (911 front not redrilled) and from what i can tell late doors with reinforcing along with the obvious RHD conversion to make life a little easier here in Australia.
Hope these photos work.
First some of the car a couple of years back.
edwin
Now for the less exciting pics.
Previous owner tried to take out a pole.
Thankfully made the car cheaper so i could buy it now i have to decide how to go about fixing.
Off to a panel shop tomorrow to get their opinion and if the price is stupid i will do myself.
shoguneagle
Glad you were able to purchase the car and possibly preventing it going to the "wrecking yard". Should not be any problem fixing the right front damage as long as the attachment points for the suspension and shocks are not damaged. Looks like the headlight box is were the damage is the structure. I double where the front part of the torsion bar attaches has any damage.

My car had damage more extensive to the left front corner pushing it back to the front trunk/fuel compartment divider; repaired and I had to do a little shimming on the front part of the left torsion bar. Got an excellent alignment and everything else checks out.

It looks like a very nice conversion to RHD and it should give you many years of driving enjoyment.

Steve Hurt

VaccaRabite
I think I remember this car. The PO was a member on Club, or maybe Rennlist.

Zach
zymurgist
Very nice! It's good to see a RHD car in good hands... there aren't that many of them around.
edwin
Conversion was done local by a guy who has a porsche wreckers so he used a proper RHD pedal box unlike some others i have seen.
it's had a few owners in the time i have known it, not sure if they were around on the club site or not.
Fixing the front should be pretty easy as it hasnt marked the wheel well at all. only visible panel is the area next to the corner marker but it is pretty minor.
the bumper reinforcing bar is crushed so i'm not sure if i would drill the spots and remove then weld back in when the front is straight or leave it all and try and pull it as is.
Time is the big killer at the moment so if the panel shop is hapy to do the work i will probably just get them to do it so i have more time to work on the EFI and 2.0
Cheers guys
stepuptotheMike
Welcome and you've got a gem there.
EdwardBlume
Super cool car.... buff it out and get it back on the road.. driving.gif
rick 918-S
My advice would be to use the existing head light bucket as a point to start your pull. You want to stress relieve the damage before cutting anything off the car. The inner panel the fender is welded to is stout. It is ver hard to pound out the crease in hte innner pan because the fender is totally in the way. I had to use a large rod with a BFH through the side light hole on Sandy's car.

Here's a couple photos of the same damage you have.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
I see the steering wheel is upside down, sign of a true southern hemisphere car ................

The Cap'n
Tom_T
welcome.png

Good on ya Mate!

I especially like that Beige interior like on mine - much cooler in hot climes!

A couple of others looking at mine posted in garage on here, with similar damage to the opposite side (maybe a bit worse) have ssaid that pulling it on a Cellette Bench (or similar), then replacing the too far damaged parts with new/NOS or a good donor shell parts/sections was doable (primarily a light box & struts & maybe inner fender/well in my case).

That's basically what Rick Ollah is saying above too, but don't know what shops down under will charge you for it? ... certainly more than a case of Fosters! biggrin.gif

Cheers & Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
effutuo101
Very cool!
McMark
AWESOME!!
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 5 2010, 07:16 AM) *

I see the steering wheel is upside down, sign of a true southern hemisphere car ................

The Cap'n

You beat me to it!

What I want to know is is the gas pedal on the left side with the clutch on the right or is the cluster the same only on the other side of the tunnel?
Lou W
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Apr 5 2010, 05:21 AM) *

Welcome and you've got a gem there.

agree.gif
neilca
QUOTE(edwin @ Apr 5 2010, 08:05 AM) *

Conversion was done local by a guy who has a porsche wreckers so he used a proper RHD pedal box unlike some others i have seen.
it's had a few owners in the time i have known it, not sure if they were around on the club site or not.
Fixing the front should be pretty easy as it hasnt marked the wheel well at all. only visible panel is the area next to the corner marker but it is pretty minor.
the bumper reinforcing bar is crushed so i'm not sure if i would drill the spots and remove then weld back in when the front is straight or leave it all and try and pull it as is.
Time is the big killer at the moment so if the panel shop is hapy to do the work i will probably just get them to do it so i have more time to work on the EFI and 2.0
Cheers guys

Edwin,

Can you post a picture of your pedal box? I have made a RHD 914 and know the car was not originally built to be symetric. I was wondering how this was done by the rest of the world. Mine is a race car and I used the Wilwood pedals.

Thanks,
neilca
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 5 2010, 07:16 AM) *

The Cap'n

thats so your foot doesn't get stuck when you hit the high beam! wacko.gif

only us old guys get that! biggrin.gif

nice car worth fixing
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.