Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need suggestions for a throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
casey944
There was some info on the "other site", that i have completely given up on, regarding a throttle cable for 914s.

What do you recommend? OEM? Is there a better aftermarket solution? Thanks in advance.
casey944
http://www.zimsautotechnik.net/acatalog/Te...__914-4_70.html

found that one along with the standard 91442306702

Any insight?
pcar916
agree.gif

Terry is the best, by far.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
stock works great just make sure that it is the original gimo and not that italian one that is made backwards. Also make sure that it is greased before installation, and we spray down the tube with a bit of wd40 before inserting the cable, Casey.
tat2dphreak
get a Terry cable. they work great!
casey944
Taking George's recommendation and I ordered a 700 tech tips book as well... Anyone know of a good diy that includes pictures?
Nie Zu Alt
George,

What's the story on the Italian one "made backwards"? Just wondering so I'll know what to look out for in the future.

Thanks
casey944
Anybody have an idea of how long it takes to install?
tat2dphreak
Anybody have an idea of how long it takes to install?

about 10 minutes if the car is already up where you can get to it...
r_towle
First off...Call George and have him put two cables on your order...
Put the spare one in the trunk...you will thank me someday within the next 5 years.

Remove drivers side carpet.
Remove plywood pedal board..it does come out, a few allen head bolts and it really does come out without breaking it....its just a bit of an odd puzzle...

If you have a center console...remove it and put it on the passenger floor.
Remove the cable end that attaches to the gas pedal on the pedal cluster.
Pull out the broken end via the front.

Disconnect the cable at the throttle body and feed it under the car.
Pull it out of the tube.
Slide new one in (greased and lubed)
Hook it all back up.

jt914-6
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 5 2010, 11:14 AM) *

Put the spare one in the trunk...you will thank me someday within the next 5 years.

Remove plywood pedal board..it does come out, a few allen head bolts and it really does come out without breaking it....its just a bit of an odd puzzle...

Pull it out of the tube.
Hook it all back up.

agree.gif
The only thing to add is check and make sure you don't get it wrapped around the clutch cable when installing. Before putting the pedal board back in start it up and push in the clutch and see if it revs up any.....
tat2dphreak

agree.gif totally! clutch cable too!

FWIW, tho, when I put in the Terry cable, I did not remove the console or the carpet. yes it was a little tight, but it wasn't that bad.... I just pulled the carpet back a little to get the pedal board out.
r_towle
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 5 2010, 12:25 PM) *

agree.gif totally! clutch cable too!

FWIW, tho, when I put in the Terry cable, I did not remove the console or the carpet. yes it was a little tight, but it wasn't that bad.... I just pulled the carpet back a little to get the pedal board out.

I am a big guy...cant stand getting stuck in there.

rich
Tom_T
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 5 2010, 09:20 AM) *

Pull it out of the tube.
Hook it all back up.

agree.gif
The only thing to add is check and make sure you don't get it wrapped around the clutch cable when installing. Before putting the pedal board back in start it up and push in the clutch and see if it revs up any.....

Another thing to add is to check the condition & connection of the ground strap off the transaxle, to make sure that you're not frying your acc. cables by them ending up as your only ground for the engine!! Either Gemo (stock) or Terry should last just fine for a DD etc., so long as the drivetrain is grounded. Replace that strap & connecting bolts/screws as well if needed & clean everything up as you would for battery posts/cables & coat with the battery terminal grease to keep a good connection!

Then hopefully you won't need another acc. cable in your front trunk (along with that spare fan belt btw) for more than 5 years!

My Gemo is still good after 30 years! ... of course the last 25 were on blocks in my garage! biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I'd only replaced it once Dec 75 - May 85 over +/- 130k of DD (only car) use out here in supposedly dry SoCal. shades.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 5 2010, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 5 2010, 09:20 AM) *

Pull it out of the tube.
Hook it all back up.

agree.gif

Another thing to add is to check the condition & connection of the ground strap off the transaxle, to make sure that you're not frying your acc. cables by them ending up as your only ground for the engine!! Either Gemo (stock) or Terry should last just fine for a DD etc., so long as the drivetrain is grounded. Replace that strap & connecting bolts/screws as well if needed & clean everything up as you would for battery posts/cables & coat with the battery terminal grease to keep a good connection!

Then hopefully you won't need another acc. cable in your front trunk (along with that spare fan belt btw) for more than 5 years!

My Gemo is still good after 30 years! ... of course the last 25 were on blocks in my garage! biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I'd only replaced it once Dec 75 - May 85 over +/- 130k of DD (only car) use out here in supposedly dry SoCal. shades.gif

How come someone has not come up with a cable with non-conductive ends? That way it could not conduct current....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.