Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reasonable transaxle alternative?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quikshft
Guys I’ve been hanging out here for a while just learning a little bit about the 914 and have been captivated with the Subaru swaps, especially those which are utilizing the Subaru transmission converted to a ‘transaxle’. While I could thoroughly enjoy building a car with a Subaru drivetrain I’d be even more enthused about building up a Dodge SRT-4 powered 914. It seems to me the Subaru ‘transaxle’ could be well suited to a multitude of engine choices if there were adapter plates and such to mate them together. Am I crazy? Has anyone else here considered this possibility and if so what swaps have you discovered that have a chance of working?
pcar916
welcome.png

A transaxle is just a transmission that includes a differential and maybe space for a clutch package as well. That said, the 914 is a very flexible car when it comes to mods. Lots of space to do it.

The mods from one transaxle to another usually have to do with the ring and pinion flip (or running it upside-down) if it comes from a front wheel drive car, how to shift it, how to bolt it up to a motor and how to attach the axles... and sometimes how to keep them cool.

Dude, you can do ANYTHING. It depends on how handy you are and how much money you are willing to spend for the stuff needed to build what's in your head. The more labor you do yourself the better.

For many of us it's not how much power we have at our disposal but how a particular powerplant will change the inherently wonderful handling characteristics of a mid-engine car. Low is good... lower is better.

Personally I like GOBS of power and I like it low, so I stick to flat sixes. But I've driven outstanding and quick 4's that almost took my breath away. I'd have a good four in a minute.

They're so light that the ability to flick it through a turn is paramount. I want to feel the skin on my face pulling sideways in turns... yeah, that's it.

Good luck with your search for the right combination!

RJMII
That SRT-4 swap would be a blast. Personally, I'd use the 901 trans for it, though. I did a 2.2 turbo swap over a decade ago, and the radiator fit in the engine bay... no cutting up the trunks... turbo power is a huge plus

Kennedy makes an adaptor (I believe the 2.4 SRT-4 engine bolts to the same trans as a 2.0; I'll check)

The low end torque on the turbo engines won't crater a 901 that's built right.

Right now I've been looking at a trans from a Chrysler 300M special, contemplating putting together an all aluminum engine w/auto trans so my wife can have a 914 also.
realred914
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 5 2010, 01:26 PM) *

That SRT-4 swap would be a blast. Personally, I'd use the 901 trans for it, though. I did a 2.2 turbo swap over a decade ago, and the radiator fit in the engine bay... no cutting up the trunks... turbo power is a huge plus

Kennedy makes an adaptor (I believe the 2.4 SRT-4 engine bolts to the same trans as a 2.0; I'll check)

The low end torque on the turbo engines won't crater a 901 that's built right.

Right now I've been looking at a trans from a Chrysler 300M special, contemplating putting together an all aluminum engine w/auto trans so my wife can have a 914 also.

ok my interst is perked hear now!!!!

you got a subaru moter into the 914 and got eh radiater to fit in teh engine bay.

would you please discribe or show some photos on how you did it please???

I'd liek to see how it was done, know how well it cooled ect.....

this would solve on of my mian obejections to a water cooled motor, by not having to cut up the front trunk for teh radiator.

please do tell more, very interested in what you did!!!!!
Mike Bellis
Both Audi and Subaru make transaxles suitable for use in a 914. money and fabrication skill is your limitation. Kennedy Engineered Products make adapters for most engine/tranny combos you can think of. If they don't make it, they will. You would need to send them the engine and tranny you want and pay for the fab time.
turboman808
Lots of the audi, vw and porsche stuff is interchangable. Boxster tranny with a vw gti would work.

Doesn't someone have a audi bi turbo with a boxster trans?
Porcharu
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 5 2010, 01:36 PM) *

Lots of the audi, vw and porsche stuff is interchangable. Boxster tranny with a vw gti would work.

Are you sure about that? I think the boxster has the 5-6 cylinder bolt pattern and not the 4 cylinder pattern.
rohar
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 5 2010, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 5 2010, 01:36 PM) *

Are you sure about that? I think the boxster has the 5-6 cylinder bolt pattern and not the 4 cylinder pattern.

The Boxster has ONLY the 5-6-8 cyl bolt pattern, the 4 cyl is very different. That said, the O1E Audi transmission is almost identical to the boxster tranny (uses the exact same shifter hint hit) but it has facilities for both bolt patterns and can be had for as little as $200 lightly used.

Not sure what kind of GTI the pp was suggesting, but an 8 valve on these trannies would be interesting as they've got a bit more grunt in the bottom and lower redline than their 16v and 20v cousins.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.