Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Cross Bar - Is this bent?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgetsiv
See picture and let me know if this looks correct. Thanks.

Steve
MDG
the pic isn't clear enough biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Yeah, pics too fuzzy!
sgetsiv
Sorry. Files were too big to load.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

TheCabinetmaker
That be bent!
sgetsiv
Anyone have the specifications?
Andyrew
Torch, Straight edge, and a vise. You'll be straight in no time.
Cap'n Krusty
Specifications? Sure. In spec, straight. Out of spec, bent.

The Cap'n
MDG
you can still go to the dealership and have a new one sent from Germany. If you need me to I'll take pics of my as yet to be installed new one bside my old bent one.

But in the photos one will look straight and the other will be, um, bent.
Cap'n Krusty
There are lots of good used ones around. I could put my hands on a number of them within a few minutes. Kind of a PITA to ship, though. What do they cost new?

The Cap'n
Sleepin
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 5 2010, 01:34 PM) *

Specifications? Sure. In spec, straight. Out of spec, bent.

The Cap'n

lol-2.gif

Where is the nail on the head smiley? The Cap'n is right on on this one!
EdwardBlume
What's the difference in using a bent bar... you can adjust right?
realred914
that is bent, beware ther is 3 type of bars for the 4 clynder cars i think you have the latest one i think. get teh wrong bar and it wont fit right at all.

give rich a call at high perfromance house 650 364-6234. he has one of the best supplys of new / used 914 parts, he is very knowlegdeable and will set you up right, he ships daily
realred914
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 5 2010, 03:30 PM) *

moter sits crooked, shift rod rubs, bar may not fit body, all kinds of thing could be wrong when bent
MDG
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 5 2010, 06:25 PM) *

What do they cost new?

The Cap'n

It was about a year ago and my memory limit is running nine months at best now - I think it was $150 including new bolts
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(realred914 @ Apr 5 2010, 03:34 PM) *

moter sits crooked, shift rod rubs, bar may not fit body, all kinds of thing could be wrong when bent

OK, so what bends a bar??
Mark Henry
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 5 2010, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Apr 5 2010, 03:34 PM) *

OK, so what bends a bar??

booze drunk.gif
MDG
yes, Mark's bars are bent by booze. beerchug.gif

These ones can be bent by a few things, not the least of which is an impatient guy with a BFH trying to get the thing off. The one in the OPs pic doesn't look as bad as the one I took off - when they are bent this bad, the first sign something is amiss is when your teeth shake out of your mouth. teef.gif

And I was wrong on my earlier post - the cost was $225.00 including hardware in Nov. 08

Sorry for the crappy pics but here is old and new side by side.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I've got at least one NOS one on hand for much less than the dealer price. Not painted though.
streetrover
I've got a couple extra ones too. Problem is shipping's gonna be prohibitive. There's gotta be one local at a wrecking yard or...
sww914
You can bend one by installing too long a bolt with the head up and the excess threads hanging down catch something really solid like a curb or maybe an ox. A water buffalo would probably do it, too, but not a bird or a plastic bag.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 5 2010, 08:14 PM) *

You can bend one by installing too long a bolt with the head up and the excess threads hanging down catch something really solid like a curb or maybe an ox. A water buffalo would probably do it, too, but not a bird or a plastic bag.

Could you be more specific?
sgetsiv
We used a press at the local motorcycle machine shop to straighten it out. Looks great now.

Thanks for the ox and water buffalo suggestions, but all we have close by my house are beavers.
tat2dphreak
Thanks for the ox and water buffalo suggestions, but all we have close by my house are beavers.

I've seen a few beavers that I bet could bend a bar..

someone probably has a used one off a parts car that will work fine, and the shipping is not THAT bad... I had one shipped with a complete side-shift linkage a few years ago, and I don't think it was that bad... long box, but not too heavy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.