Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone have an aftermarket A/C Unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I live in Florida, so I am considering putting in an A/C unit while I am moving up to a 3.2 engine. My question is on the compressor, is there enough room to mount it on top of the engine? What about the condenser and evaporator, where can they be mounted?

I already have an oil cooler in the front trunk, not sure if it will fit there.

I called Retro-Air, and they said it could be done but had never seen it done. Any Pics would be helpful. beerchug.gif

dlee6204
This might be of some help. Posts 25-29 shows a top mounted compressor. Plus a lot of other good information. smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ioning&st=0

southernmost914
If you have a oil cooler installed in the front trunk already ( with shrouding ) there will be no room for a floor mounted condesor. Stock evap will work no problem. Dr.914 has a 916 with A/C. maybe he can show us a photo of the condensor biggrin.gif
Steve
ellisor3
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 5 2010, 08:00 PM) *

This might be of some help. Posts 25-29 shows a top mounted compressor. Plus a lot of other good information. smile.gif

Very helpful, thanks. I am convinced I can make the compressor work even with the larger 3.2, I am looking for a better placement of the condensor and dryer so I do not have to butcher the front trunk. confused24.gif
southernmost914
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Apr 5 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Very helpful, thanks. I am convinced I can make the compressor work even with the larger 3.2, I am looking for a better placement of the evaporator and dryer so I do not have to butcher the front trunk. confused24.gif

Condensor and dryer! biggrin.gif

ellisor3
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Apr 5 2010, 08:25 PM) *

Very helpful, thanks. I am convinced I can make the compressor work even with the larger 3.2, I am looking for a better placement of the evaporator and dryer so I do not have to butcher the front trunk. confused24.gif

I caught my mistake, thanks. I am trying to get this car done so I can drive it to Key West in July.
budman5201
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Apr 5 2010, 05:25 PM) *

I got one of these stock fan condensors sitting in my parts car if you need it. $45
Mike Bellis
Contact Vintage Air in Florida. They make custom and universal units for various cars.
Tom_T
AA carries one in their pdf downloadable catalog which should work 4 or 6 depending upon the clearance, but it's got the new smaller compressor which should help. It may be what George used on the 916 or 914-6/GT 73 clone?
rfuerst911sc
I am planning on designing my own AC system and have collected some of the parts. For a condensor I'm using a 993 unit with a fan . I plan on mounting it in the passenger side rear quarter panel in front of the wheel. For a drier I'm using a Pro-cooler for enhanced AC performance. I plan on buying a new under dash evaporator/fan assembly and have a Sanden compressor. All going onto a 3.0. I will make my own hoses locally and hope to install next year.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Apr 5 2010, 04:45 PM) *

I live in Florida, so I am considering putting in an A/C unit while I am moving up to a 3.2 engine. My question is on the compressor, is there enough room to mount it on top of the engine? What about the condenser and evaporator, where can they be mounted?

I already have an oil cooler in the front trunk, not sure if it will fit there.

I called Retro-Air, and they said it could be done but had never seen it done. Any Pics would be helpful. beerchug.gif

yes two great units! One with the single condenser and one with the dual condenser. Both have the rotory compressor, do not require engine tin or engine shelf cutting, use r 134 and make the car an icebox inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Installation here in our shop takes about six hours and we do a PERFECT job. (not like the kids that cut up the original new 914s at the dealerships to install ac before new car delivery!!!!)
ellisor3
Thanks everyone, I think I am headed in the right direction. Pictures to come
dlee6204
Yes, please keep us updated us with pictures. popcorn[1].gif Good luck!
ConeDodger
Steve (zx-niner) has a very clean AC installation on a '74 with a Raby 2270 turnkey motor. Front trunk install...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.