Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
OK... so I got the fuel lines in there this far..
EdwardBlume
Do they run on the right side of the tunnel... here..
EdwardBlume
Do you pop the rubber out to feed the lines through or just "go for it"??
EdwardBlume
Does the lines feed UNDER the brake lines making their way across near the front?

dangrouche
i did not use the prebent lines as you have here, but looks like you got it there already. yes, you must remove that dual hole rubber plug. Get both lines to just start showing thru that oval hole, then that is when you thread them through. you gotta reach down and and force the lower one first, then the top one. It might help if someone is applying light forward pressure from the rear. Lube that chunk of rubber with PB blaster. After both lines are started through the chunk of rubber, you push that chunk back in with the lines installed. Careful, sharp edges, use gloves of some sort. Hindsight is 20-20 and I should have bought prebent ones. I installed mine from a coil of raw tubing and fed it in from the rear when the engine was in place. After the completed installation, I slit pieces of rubber hose and pushed them onto one of the lines so the lines would not rattle against one another and this put them under tension and has kept things rattle free. A great technique was threading a thick strand of copper wire through the OLD fuel lines from front to rear, then I pulled out the old line from the rear, then the new line was fed in on the is copper wire strand uncoiling stainless tubing toward the front.
Clay Perrine's excellent photos were my inspiration http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_fuellines_ss.php
Jakeodoule
I installed those same lines. I just sprayed the rubber with a little silicone and the lines slid right through, pushing on them through the hole by the pedals.
I found this easier because the rubber is hardened and tough to get out of the body.
ChrisFoley
yes under the brake line.
yes on the right side of the tunnel.
yes leave the large grommet in place.
yes use lube in the grommets.
The larger supply line in the right firewall hole should be fully inserted before doing the return line in the left hole.
The extra bend in the return line at the firewall will allow it to be slightly above the supply line where you attach the rubber hoses.
Once they are fully in place both lines should lay nicely (right where they have a slight upward bend) against the bottom of the tunnel without crossing each other or any other item running through the tunnel. They should fit inside the tunnel almost exactly as the original plastic lines did.
There should be a metal clip accessible through the shifter hole that the lines can be secured with. There may be another clip to the rear, just behind where the wiring harness goes inside the tunnel.
AvalonFal
Just installed these lines with the engine in. Left the front grommet in place and lubed the lines to go through it. Once each line was lined up with its grommet hole, a little pushing got them through. Whole thing took about 1 1/2 hours. The worst part was going from inside the car to underneath several times to push/pull and align because I did it by myself. A 2nd person would have made it a lot easier.

By the way, thanks Chris for an excellent product.

Paul
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 6 2010, 03:07 AM) *

yes under the brake line.
yes on the right side of the tunnel.
yes leave the large grommet in place.
yes use lube in the grommets.
The larger supply line in the right firewall hole should be fully inserted before doing the return line in the left hole.
The extra bend in the return line at the firewall will allow it to be slightly above the supply line where you attach the rubber hoses.
Once they are fully in place both lines should lay nicely (right where they have a slight upward bend) against the bottom of the tunnel without crossing each other or any other item running through the tunnel. They should fit inside the tunnel almost exactly as the original plastic lines did.
There should be a metal clip accessible through the shifter hole that the lines can be secured with. There may be another clip to the rear, just behind where the wiring harness goes inside the tunnel.

Cool... thanks! I'll man up and finish the job tonight! Thanks again, R
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Apr 6 2010, 05:41 AM) *

Just installed these lines with the engine in. Left the front grommet in place and lubed the lines to go through it. Once each line was lined up with its grommet hole, a little pushing got them through. Whole thing took about 1 1/2 hours. The worst part was going from inside the car to underneath several times to push/pull and align because I did it by myself. A 2nd person would have made it a lot easier.

By the way, thanks Chris for an excellent product.

Paul

Geez... it was pretty easy getting it in to where I got it with the engine out... about 5 minutes and most of that was taking the rear pass wheel off...

and agree.gif its an excellent product...
EdwardBlume
Mission Accomplished... thanks Chris! I would not have tied them down with the metal ties if you hadn't mentioned it... thanks again! aktion035.gif
ejm
Just a heads up on the engine compartment lines.... they *do not* go like this biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.