Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheet metal mods for 3.6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Finished my sheet metal mods to fit the 914-6 cooling tin to the 3.6 engine yesterday. I figured I'd post some pics so if someone else has to cross this bridge it'll give them some ideas. Since you can't buy a kit that fits the 3.6 you need to do something like this...........
East coaster
next pic.......
East coaster
East coaster
rear.......
East coaster
again....
East coaster
distributor area...
East coaster
These shots highlight the areas (in red) where you need to add/fab new material.....
East coaster
This is where the factory 6 oil cooler resides, the 3.6 has none. Had to fab a block off and a air plate to take care of this. All the mods are butt welded in adn ground out to look stock as possible?
East coaster
had to add plate behind the dizzy. The cam shaft covers angle back on a 3.6 and this leaves a big void with the stock metal.
East coaster
Last but not least, a block off for the factory heater port. I'll be fabbing a small port to flow air to the distributor belt ports. Anybody looking into a 3.6 will learn about this mod!
East coaster
Oh yeah..........cut and fit the oil tank holes this weekend too!
Brad Roberts
Tidbit of info on the block off plate for the fan shroud:

Drill holes in it and let it breath a little. The fan was setup with a certain back pressure on it, you change this when you block that area off completely.

Dyno pulls and testing showed a reduction in cooling. Dont ask me how. We where all standing there scratching our heads (Jerry Woods dyno) We vent all of them.

Your tin looks awesome.

B
Jeroen
Very clean job!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
RON S.
Great looking job Easter.
All the trial and error on converting 3.6's to 914 use sure gives us an education about what has to be done to make things work and look professional.
We're riding down the same road.Great work.
One note on my job.It looks like you started with the same type of sheetmetal kit when you began.
When I got my kit in the mail,I thought right off the bat that it was a really cheap,poor quality kit for the $375.00 I paid for it to begin with.It was rusty,and made from 26ga.steel.Thin as a sheet of paper.
If I'd do it again,I'd pay a little a little more money and buy maybe a Pelican kit that looks like it is die stamped.At least it would look like a true copy of the original sheetmetal.
Just a thought.

Ron
JmuRiz
Wow, that does look nice. In the first pics you couldn't even tell it wasn't like that to begin with. That car is going to have some serious scoot when it's done!
East coaster
Brad/Ron, Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll have to consider relieving the block off somehow. I thought about whether this might overload the impeller, but it seemed like a small area vs the overall output area. I imagine if it's a problem it would have to be at the upper extremes of the rpm range. Maybe I'll put a spring loaded blow off port that way it'll only blow out at high R's. In my case there's not much room to do anything more than put some holes in the block off plate due to flipping the intake. The air flow sensor lays right on top of the block off area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.