Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaded vs. Unleaded
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
confused24.gif Should I run some low lead (aka AvGas) occasionally thru my engine. It's a 76 2.0?
underthetire
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 6 2010, 08:58 AM) *

confused24.gif Should I run some low lead (aka AvGas) occasionally thru my engine. It's a 76 2.0?

Why. AvGas is not good for automotive use, has crap in it to help it burn at 20K feet. If your gonna use low lead fuel, you would need to use it every time to make any difference. 76 would have had a cat on it anyway, so it would have been designed for unleaded. Run cleaner once in a while and call it good.
VaccaRabite
Just run high test unleaded and you will be fine. I try and find stations that do not sell gas with Ethanol in it, but that may or may not be an issue where you live. And I only do it since the car only gets occasional usage, and ethanol based fuel goes sour a lot faster then non-ethanol gas.

Zach
realred914
the 914 has hardened valve seats no need fro lead gas. No need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
realred914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 6 2010, 09:08 AM) *

Just run high test unleaded and you will be fine. I try and find stations that do not sell gas with Ethanol in it, but that may or may not be an issue where you live. And I only do it since the car only gets occasional usage, and ethanol based fuel goes sour a lot faster then non-ethanol gas.

Zach

alcholol gas also is very corrosive tot eh metal inthe car and will eat up the rubber parts faster,. avoid it if at all posible. bad idea brought on by the corn lobby, and enforced by crooked polititians
underthetire
QUOTE(realred914 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:19 AM) *

the 914 has hardened valve seats no need fro lead gas. No need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you don't need to scream at him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was just asking a question.
naro914
you could always use leaded 110 octane from a race track...

Papa smurf loves that stuff.... smile.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 6 2010, 03:00 PM) *

you could always use leaded 110 octane from a race track...

Papa smurf loves that stuff.... smile.gif

Whoa, cause you gots a racin car. I've seen a lot of aircooled motorcycle engines go to an early grave with the real high octane stuff. Burns so much slower they overheat. I never used above 105, and that was only on race day.
76-914
OK, Thx for the input guy's. realred91 pretty much answered my question. BTW the only leaded AvGas I've seen in years is 80 octane. The high octane stuff is pretty scarce. The only addititves that I was ever aware of were to prevent vapor locking. (You think VL sucks in a 914? Wait till your 10' off the ground with most of the runway behind you!) The reason piston A/C can burn any fuel at 20K feet is the ability to manually adjust air/fuel ratio or turbos. Most of us seldom flew above 12K, anyway. Thinner air = less HP !
'73-914kid
Old style and racing valve guides need the lead as lubrication. You risk valve guide problems if you try and run unleaded in race motors with valve guides made of a material other than silicon-bronze.

Street motors have no real need for leaded race gas. If the motor is well tuned, changing octane fuels should have no change unless you have a weak ignition system. I've run leaded 110 through my 8.6:1 2.0l motor, and it has no problem burning through it, and I saw no out of the ordinary temp changes. Mind you I run a MSD box and blaster coil...

Leaded gas sure does smell good. As a race-track junkie I have grown up around teh smell of leaded race exhaust, so it is a welcome smell to me.. but not at 8$ a gallon..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.