Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accusump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
orchid914
Anybody out there use an Accusump in their 4 cyl racecar??

2 qt or 3 qt???

John

jt914-6
I use the three quart in my six. I think if I had a race four I'd use the three for the peace of mind of the extra quart when the engine needed it....

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 6 2010, 05:10 PM) *

I use the three quart in my six.

Why? Just for pre-oiling?
Just curious what additional advantage it gives you over the dry sump/big oil tank.
jt914-6
Just for pre-oiling. The dry sump should never run out of oil in turns.... shades.gif
sww914
I've been using a 2 qt with my 2056 for years. It's plenty.
Did you buy the purple car from the Hollanders?
orchid914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 6 2010, 07:51 PM) *

I've been using a 2 qt with my 2056 for years. It's plenty.
Did you buy the purple car from the Hollanders?

I bought the purple car from the Provasi's about 10 years ago.

Thanks everyone for the input and pictures.

John
TGM
I use a 2 quart accusump with my 2270 track car. I found that the accumulator would maintain oil pressure in the middle of a corner as the oil pick up is starved but then pressure would fall dramatically after the turn. I believe once the pump sucked air it took some time for it to re-prime and then refill accusump. I have since added a deep sump which completely solves the starved pickup and now the accusump is only useful for pre-oiling. The downside to the deep sump is that it hangs low but in my opinion works much better than the accusump.
jt914-6
TGM....How do you have the Accusump plumbed in? Where does it come into the oil system at???
sww914
QUOTE(TGM @ Apr 7 2010, 12:25 PM) *

I use a 2 quart accusump with my 2270 track car. I found that the accumulator would maintain oil pressure in the middle of a corner as the oil pick up is starved but then pressure would fall dramatically after the turn. I believe once the pump sucked air it took some time for it to re-prime and then refill accusump. I have since added a deep sump which completely solves the starved pickup and now the accusump is only useful for pre-oiling. The downside to the deep sump is that it hangs low but in my opinion works much better than the accusump.

I had just the deep sump before the accusump, It wasn't enough for me. Now I have both and no problems with oil pressure. It is very deep and hangs waaaay down. I've hit it on a curb sliding off the track and cracked it on the top. I thought from the sound that it must have broken something big but it was just a hairline crack next to the boss that mounts to the bottom of the engine. I had a small oil leak from that but I welded the crack and all is well. Those things are really a lot tougher than I thought they would be.
ME733
QUOTE(TGM @ Apr 7 2010, 03:25 PM) *

.............You , TGM, have accurately stated and explained why the accusump should be plumbed to provide ONLY pre-oiling...."the dramitically lower oil pressure after the turn"....occurs exactly(most of the time) when the throttle position is wide open, and the highest H.P. is going to be produced....Thats NOT when you want low oil pressure, (as the accusump refills itself).....A deep sump is the best solution for overcoming oil starvation.
Randal
The difference in price between a 2 and 3 quart unit is about $30.00. If you are going to spend, say $5K on your motor, the additional $30.00 is cheap insurance.

Another way to look at it is return on investment.

So you spend $5K on your motor (investment) and the additional $30.00 on the bigger unit. The bigger (3 quart) unit saves your motor, which they will - you've $30.00 expenditure just saved you $5,000. Not a bad deal.

Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
that's only a $12 difference shown there smile.gif even more of a reason..

is there a real advantage to these in a 100% street motor(4 cyl)?
ArtechnikA
Does the oil light come on during cornering?
If not it's a fancy pre-oiler that weighs something & costs something...
tat2dphreak
ok, good to know smile.gif oil light never comes on, and it has never dropped below 25psi in any scenario. I've just seen a few threads on these lately, and wondered if street engines would benefit from any of it smile.gif
jt914-6
The garage discussion.... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105489
As Jake said....if they are plumbed right, they work....At first I thought I'd plumb it into the oil line from the tank to the cooler (on a six). I talked to a former DE student of mine who does club races and he said to plumb it to the oil pressure switch location...He knows what he is talking about so I took his advise and plumbed it there. On a street engine it wouldn't be necessary. AutoX, DE, or race could use one on a four. I use mine to pre-pressurize the system before start up.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 8 2010, 04:41 PM) *

At first I thought I'd plumb it into the oil line from the tank to the cooler (on a six).

Since that is a suction, not pressure, line, it would indeed be a bad idea to plumb there. You need something on the pressure (delivery) side of the pressure pump, which the oil pressure gauge/switch port is. Not many other easily-accessible places in the oil gallery of a six.
orchid914
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 10 2010, 02:44 PM) *

It is quite used and the electric valve is not the new EPC valve.....

Racerpartswholesale.com has the best prices on new Accusump stuff, even better than ebay. Thanks Randal for your pics and postings.

John
charliew
I see a lot of accsumps plumbed with only a 3/8 id supply line. Moroso reccommends a 5/8 id line I'm pretty sure. Any time it supplys oil to fill a low pressure void the supply will be marginal if any help because it doesn't have enough line volume. 3/8 is fine for prelube. The small line will also slow the recovery time. The oil pump must have more than enough volume to refill the accsump while at the same time supplying enough volume to the motor. I'm sure if the starvation is long enough and the accusump supply line is long and only 3/8 it is more harmful than helpful. The accusump is like a big capacitor in a circuit, it levels the highs and lows. Extra volume is higher pressure. When the oil pressure is low, with less volume, it refills slower if it has depleted below the pump supply pressure and the pump is still trying to build pressure by catching up in volume in the motor. The pump is not intended to make a lot more volume than that needed by a stock clearance motor, any extra means higher oil temperature, especially if the bypass circuit is part of the pump, hopefully it's not but it is in a lot of stock pumps so the extra volume is not a lot from a stock size pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.