Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Is St. Paul in Nigeria?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
We are looking to replace the family GMG Suburban. The kid's are growing up and two out of three are now driving.

We are looking at the BMW X5 and the Mercedes ML320/430. We still need a vehicle to pull the 18' ski boat (3500 lbs including trailer and fuel).

I found a beautiful 2001 X5 listed on Craigslist (Seattle). I responded to the ad on Saturday. Very good price. Less than 100K miles and VERY clean (from the pictures).

An email was received today from the seller indicating that they are in the service soon to be shipping out to Iraq.

Here is the kicker ... the X5 is located in St. Paul Minnesota. Seller states they will cover the shipping costs.

Can anyone in St. Paul help with a PPI?

Does this sound like a scam?

Thanks

Eddie
Elliot Cannon
It seems to me you should be able to find something a little closer to home. A PPI might help you with the status of mechanical issues but the rest can be somewhat subjective. If you're in Seattle is seems to me you should be able to find what you are looking for in you area.
Cheers, Elliot
Cap'n Krusty
Having some experience wrenching on X5s, I'd walk before I bought one.. Valve cover oil leaks take 8 hours to repair, they often need trannies in to low 100K range ($4K, out the door), the front drive shaft is too short for the application and eats the splines in the transfer case (that's a $2K plus repair, even on the aftermarket), the tires are a grand+ a set, and they eat brakes. Other than that, it's a freakin' TRUCK. Oh, Volvo XC 90s are just as bad ..........................

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
If not stated previously that it was out of state, it is a scam.

Do a google search for the add title and see where else this is advertised.
Eddie914
The price is very tempting ... $5980 for a 2001 X5 3.0i with less than 100K miles.

How about a '98 ML430 with 140K miles for $4900. I drove it is last night. Wife didn't black exterior with tan interior (it's OK for my M5). Also it has about same miles as the Suburban and is only one year newer.

What other options are there for SUV's ?

Thanks

Eddie
lotus_65
i can help you out, but i've seen postings like that.
sometimes i'll google a keyword, or a phrase from the ad that looks unusual and search. i've found people advertising the same car all over the u.s., hoping for a sucker no doubt. if you do find a duplicate post, i guess you could just ask the seller about it.

the other thing to consider is the abuse vehicles take out here in the snow belt.

let me know if you want my contact info--- i'll check that ride out for you.
Zundfolge
In giant type across the top of the cars for sale page on Craigslist is the following:

[ OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT ]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this one is likely a scam. huh.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Apr 6 2010, 12:00 PM) *

The price is very tempting ... $5980 for a 2001 X5 3.0i with less than 100K miles.

How about a '98 ML430 with 140K miles for $4900. I drove it is last night. Wife didn't black exterior with tan interior (it's OK for my M5). Also it has about same miles as the Suburban and is only one year newer.

What other options are there for SUV's ?

Thanks

Eddie

Not as fancy for sure, I can't seem to kill my 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 2001 to 2004 are the best years. Don't get the 4.7. Those motors are serious trouble. I pull my 19 1/2 footer with it, could use a little more power up grades, but not bad. 235K on it now, first major repair i have to do on it now is a new radiator for a whole 95 bucks. Doesn't have the fancy name on it though poke.gif

PS, I can see ground from either side of the engine. Kinda nice having room to work on it if you need to.
Eddie914
I agree. Great rigs. Thats what we have for our 17 year old daughter. It has close to 300,000 miles and still runs good (once the rear main seal was replaced).

Maybe we should get matching Mother/Daughter Jeeps!

Thanks

Eddie
Root_Werks
Sounds like a scam Eddie. Don't walk, run away. Almost anything CL, if I can't put my hands on it, I won't even bother.
rudedude
I am close to st paul if needed.
I keep my suburban for pulling my trailer and other large needs and couldn't do without.
The others are just too small.
I know a few pulling with Porsche Cayennes with good succcess.

Jule
Eddie914
SCAM!

Quote from Craigslist regarding SCAMS:

"Actual scam emails sent to craigslist users:

Hi,
I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Afganistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before November 16th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title , clear, under my name. The Denali has 35,000 miles VIN# 1GKEK63U16J138428 .
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,300. The car is in Baltimore, MD, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
Regards!!!"

Here is the email I received from the seller (scammer):

"Hey,
I am selling this car because my unit will be sent back to Iraq and don't want it getting old in my garage.. The price is low because I need to sell it before the middle of April . The vehicle is in great condition and runs great. It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad 5980. The car is in St.Paul,Minnesota and in case it gets sold I will take care of the shipping charges.
Let me know if you are interested; email me back.

Regards,"

Notice any similarities?

Thanks for the insight!

Eddie
iamchappy
The Grand Cherokee with the inline 4.0 six will get you around as good as anything and all you may have to do in the time you own it is add fluids, brake pads and tires. I am on my 2nd one now a 2002 with 120,000 miles on it, i will probably keep it until i roll over 200,000+miles on it.

Down side is they dont get good millage, probably not much better than the Suburban.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.