Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which looks Best?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisG
Hi All,

I have finally gotten my car to the point that I can drive it. It is not concours quality or the like, but it is one fun daily driver and autocross car.

Now my question, which set of wheels make the car look best? My wife likes one and I like the other, so I figured I would get all of the input I can.

Thanks in Advance,

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TravisG
Sorry about only 1 pic, here hopefully is the second.
Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Blast and polish the 4 spokes...or keep them red. never liked the round dials on a teener.
TravisG
[quote name='7TPorsh' date='Apr 6 2010, 06:13 PM' post='1298817']
Blast and polish the 4 spokes...
[/quote

I don't have the patience to do it myself, and I don't have the $$$ to have it done. Or that is what I would love to do.
URY914
4 lugs on one side and 5 lugs on the other?
TravisG
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 6 2010, 06:19 PM) *

4 lugs on one side and 5 lugs on the other?

They are adaptors, which side looks best?
dakotaewing
Four lugs stripped and polished -
Paint the rockers and valances black -

It's your car and your money -
Do what makes you happy...
zx-niner
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 6 2010, 03:13 PM) *

Blast and polish the 4 spokes...or keep them red. never liked the round dials on a teener.

agree.gif

About the only 5 bolt I like are the standard Fuchs. But I think those 4 bolt rims polished would really look nice against the red and blue.
Tom_T
QUOTE(TravisG @ Apr 6 2010, 03:13 PM) *

Sorry about only 1 pic, here hopefully is the second.
Click to view attachment

agree.gif with most here -

Strip the paint on the above set (Acetone will work with some gentle elbow grease), then polish them back up over a couple-a-three of weekends. Pelican has a tech article on it & claim it's about a day per wheel for polishing them - add some for stripping the paint.

I wouldn't blast them because that could damage what otherwise might be a very good anodized (original) or polished finish underneath which has been preserved by the paint. Don't over polish if anodized or you'll remove the anodizing (more of a semi- or light polished look stock).

That set of shiny Fuchs 2L Alloys will add some bling to the look!! biggrin.gif
... which may be what you or your wife likes about the dials, which I don't like on the 914 either.

Also - you'd be surprised at how much lower slung it would look with black rockers & F&R valances! Try blocking them out with black paper cut to size & stand back & see for yourself, & shoot pix to compare with the one above! biggrin.gif

IMHO - the black sail/rollbar vinyl up top does the same visual effect by lowering the effective visual height of the 914s - esp. with the top off & windows down! IIRC $35 for the set of 3 vinyl pieces from CAMP914 + a can of adhesive spray & another weekend to do it! Try it with black paper cut to size as well! biggrin.gif

Happy Trails to youuuuuu .... !!!! driving.gif .... beerchug.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 6 2010, 06:13 PM) *

agree.gif I think they are more appropriate for a waterpumper.
underthetire
I like the dials myself, but not those on that car. Think if they were black. Looks too much like team america right now.
VaccaRabite
No question for me. Phone dials. When I go five lug, I am going to use Phonedials on my car.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
The question is moot, because NO autocross sponsoring group in it's right mind would ever allow a car with wheel adapters on the course. The 4 bolt wheels you have are relatively light and should be perfect for the application, especially in the light of your limited budget.

The Cap'n
underthetire
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 6 2010, 03:58 PM) *

No question for me. Phone dials. When I go five lug, I am going to use Phonedials on my car.

Zach

Got an extra 15X6 late offset U pay shipping if you need it.
jt914-6
Leave the phone dials on one side and the Fuchs on the other. That way you are both happy..... poke.gif

BYW..Which ones do you like and which does the wife like???
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Apr 6 2010, 03:30 PM) *

Four lugs stripped and polished -
Paint the rockers and valances black -

agree.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Apr 6 2010, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 6 2010, 03:13 PM) *

agree.gif

About the only 5 bolt I like are the standard Fuchs. But I think those 4 bolt rims polished would really look nice against the red and blue.

standard Fuchs(polished?) shades.gif popcorn[1].gif
Bruce Hinds
Opininons.... you know what those are like. Everybody has one! How'd you do that, five bolts on the left and 4 on the right?
Looks like the phone dials are 911SC, 15x6 and 15x7... the'll allow you more meat on the road... big plus over the little 4 bolt.
I'll agree you have to black out the rockers and valances, but I like black.
Click to view attachment
iamchappy
You have a nice car, but i think you can make it look a bit nicer if:

You can paint the centers of the Phone Dialers Black like this or strip the paint off the Fuchs and leave silver.

I agree with the others and paint the rockers and valance black.

TravisG
Still open to responses, but I thought I would chime back in.

I like the phone dials because of I think it makes the car look lighter and more fun.(I know these are supposed to be pure bred racing cars, but in stockish 2.0 trim, just about any Jap econobox can take it in a 0-60 drag race.... poke.gif ) So it should be about fun.

As far as Autocrossing goes, I would never try to run adaptors on the track, too much that could go wrong. I will most definitely put the Fuchs back on when it is autocrossed (there again for fun). Because as I said before( in stockish 2.0 trim) most everything at the PCA autocross will be able to beat it. Before I start getting flamed about killer 914's, I know there are 914's that have been built for the track that are killer, but I know what is in mine, so it is for FUN.

The Red on the bottom, Is actually a reddish Orange (it doesn't show well in pics) and I am still on the fence about it. I am thinking maybe more of a Gulf Orange, but I don't like the black on the bottom.

As far as, polishing the Fuchs, I would love that, I think that it would look great, and actually tried, but they were pitted from staying on the ocean front (the guy I bought it from lived on the front row at Myrtle Beach, SC) So Painting was my only option.

It is a driving, playing, work in progress. All of the comments are appreciated, but not many have actually answered the question:

Which Set looks best?

Because that's all I've got to work with for now.

I do like all the comments though, because it gives me something to ponder idea.gif

Sorry for running on, but there were many posts that I wanted to address.

Travis the Red lol-2.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 6 2010, 03:59 PM) *

The question is moot, because NO autocross sponsoring group in it's right mind would ever allow a car with wheel adapters on the course. The 4 bolt wheels you have are relatively light and should be perfect for the application, especially in the light of your limited budget.

The Cap'n

I gotta go with the Cap'n on this one.
zymurgist
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 6 2010, 06:53 PM) *

I like the dials myself, but not those on that car. Think if they were black. Looks too much like team america right now.

America, Fuch Yeah! laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
I like the dials, but polished fuchs look good too. but if you want 5 lugs, do it right. no adapters.
rebelmdot
Comin again to save the mother fuchin' day yeah!

I think everyone did answer the question. Fuchs, just not red. If they have to be painted, then paint them silver. Do what you want with the rockers. If jap rides are beating your stock ride, there is a PCA sponsored driving event here in a couple weeks. poke.gif

Just givin' you shit. Mine is not even running so a jap bicycle can out run mine right now. My vote is do what your wife likes then the rest of your life and not just driving your cool Porsche will be fun. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.