Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bearing Grease
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pjhaun
Is there any difference in between front wheel bearing grease and cv grease?
Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, Wa.
Mark Henry
CV grease is moly. Wheel bearing is a high temp bentonite-based grease.

Some new greases, like the Swepco grease I use, is ok for both but many are not. When in doubt buy the proper CV moly grease.
pjhaun
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 7 2010, 09:17 AM) *

Some new greases, like the Swepco grease I use, is ok for both but many are not. When in doubt buy the proper CV moly grease.

Could you use the high temp grease in the CVs?

Thank You!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.

underthetire
QUOTE(pjhaun @ Apr 7 2010, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 7 2010, 09:17 AM) *

Could you use the high temp grease in the CVs?

Thank You!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.

Buy CV grease. Valvoline does make a grease for cv and high temp wheel bearings. Says right on the can. If your not sure, don't take a chance. Why try to save 10 bucks on something like that.
realred914
differnt needs, teh cv take lots of shock loading and probably a bit more slipping but (should not) get as hot as disc brake wheel bearing whicjh have a higher surface speed and little slipping , so generally cv grease has additive to help with shock loading and high loads while disc brake wheel bearing grease has more high temp additives. some MAY be able to handle both, but I would stick tot eh right stuff, the labour and parts price to fix either if the grease is substandard is not worth the risk.

hows the Buick running? mine is getting aligned today!
6freak
Be careful ...Not all grease`s are compatable....look up Conoco ,Union 76, or some kind of oil company and get a chart off the web site ....moly base CV lube should only be used with such moly base grease...just looked at ........Sunoco good info but cant post it ...copy right stuff
Porcharu
Make sure you don't mix grease. Some combinations will pretty much turn into a dry paste with no real lubrication ability.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.