Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Stand question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
Can you mount a type 4 on a standard engine stand yoke - like the usual four arm set-up from places like Harbor Freight? I dont need to do any maintenance, I just want to get it off of the hoist/furniture dolly when the time comes and would rather not drop a pile of cash on another Porsche adapter.

Thanks!
Scott S beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
I have adapters for $65 shipped. I would not use the 4 points alone on the case. It doesnt spread out the weight well enough.
914rat
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 7 2010, 10:13 AM) *

I have adapters for $65 shipped. I would not use the 4 points alone on the case. It doesnt spread out the weight well enough.

Can you post a pic or send it to my email Mike?Tanks in advance.
Dr Evil
Here is an unfinished one. RJMII will be selling these. I have several that need to be finished. I have not been pushing these as I am getting out of the biz and RJMII will be taking over production of these smile.gif You can run a starter with these.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif Use the right adapter plate... + any engine stand
Scott S
Hi Doc -
I am confused - how does that affix to the engine stand?
Dr Evil
Same way any other adapter does. You have two options, you can use long bolts, or you can cut the mounting arm tubes (from the engine stand) and use shorter bolts. You can mount it on two bolts, or you can remove the studs on the bottom of the case halves and use longer bolts to mount all 4 points. I can also shorten the adapter a bit in the lower section to allow placement of plate steel from the stand. I can see that I need to demonstrate. I need to finish up some stuff, but I will try to get one mocked up tonight. It is far better than the 2 eared VW adapter, but maybe not as good as the $125-200 Porsche adapter.

Porsche one:
Click to view attachment

VW type:
Click to view attachment

Notice how both only use two bolts or studs, but how the weight is distributed over more surface area the better and more costly then get.
McMark
Whoa! Am I reading this right? You're suggesting this doesn't support enough?

IPB Image
914rat
It is far better than the 2 eared VW adapter, but maybe not as good as the $125-200 Porsche adapter.

Porsche one:

VW type:

Notice how both only use two bolts or studs, but how the weight is distributed over more surface area the better and more costly then get.

The way I read it he is saying the lower one for VW does not but the one you posted does.
Dr Evil
Ya, Monkey boy. Read again. poke.gif The quality goes up with the cost. The Porsche one is overkill for a TIV, though.
Joe Owensby
Best bet is to use the Porsche stand, or Dr. Evil's tranny mount. However, in a pinch, you can use a modified stand. I welded some supports to the attachment points of a Harbor Freight stand, as shown below. I just welded on the ears, and then ground them down to match the curvature of the case. I think this is at least as strong as the VW type stand. I used this to support the engine via two bolts on one crank half, while I installed crank, etc. and assembled the case halves. I then added the extra support to hold the other side, which can be seen held in place by a clamp. This extra support was plenty strong.
r_towle
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Apr 7 2010, 02:11 PM) *

Hi All -
Can you mount a type 4 on a standard engine stand yoke - like the usual four arm set-up from places like Harbor Freight? I dont need to do any maintenance, I just want to get it off of the hoist/furniture dolly when the time comes and would rather not drop a pile of cash on another Porsche adapter.

Thanks!
Scott S beerchug.gif

Yup, it works fine.
Take a grinder and cut a notch in the end of each tube about 1/2 way in, about 1/2 inch deep.
This makes the bolts line up with the holes.

Rich
URY914
I used the cheap VW stand, BUT I used a 2 x 4 under the engine to take the weight off the stand. Seemed to work well.
McMark
Oh. pinch.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Apr 7 2010, 10:11 AM) *

Hi All -

Thanks!
Scott S beerchug.gif

Hey Scotty,

CHECK OUT THIS THREAD (click)

Marc gives a great instructional (with pics) on how to make an adapter plate. smash.gif

IPB Image

You're a little handier than i am , so if you decide to make one, make two (one for me) rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
I like that one, a lot! Nice. If you can make it for the price he stated, do it. I think I will try to make one like Marc's from my left over cores smile.gif
URY914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 7 2010, 05:34 PM) *

Oh. pinch.gif

Got ya! biggrin.gif
Gary
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 7 2010, 02:09 PM) *

Whoa! Am I reading this right? You're suggesting this doesn't support enough?

IPB Image

Hey Mark,

Do you need one of these? I have one that I can throw in the mix.
McMark
Sure! I never have enough stands. cool.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 7 2010, 05:36 PM) *

I like that one, a lot! Nice. If you can make it for the price he stated, do it. I think I will try to make one like Marc's from my left over cores smile.gif

Wasn't trying to cost you a sale with the link. I just thought it was a cool build thread. wink.gif
pcar916
I like the idea of using a bell housing approach but only for it's main advantage, which is spreading the stress onto the largest surface area. That said.

The big advantages for the Porsche mount (or something like it) is that first you can split and build the case-halves while the engine is on the stand, and you have great access to the flywheel area as well.

I haven't used it on a 4-cylinder in some years, but the sixes are heavier, especially with the stock exhausts still on.

Good Luck
Jeffs9146
I just did this with a Bus Bell Housing. I needed to grind out a few spots but it works great!!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Apr 8 2010, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 7 2010, 05:36 PM) *

Wasn't trying to cost you a sale with the link. I just thought it was a cool build thread. wink.gif

Its not about the sales smile.gif
charliew
Bus bell housings are great. I have one made out of a t1 empty tranny cut through the center of the axle holes with steel bolted on to some legs, but haven't tried it on the t4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.