Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F1 clutch handle and left foot braking on my 914 / vw / por 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo
innovator : def .

An innovator or pioneer (pronounced /ˌpаɪ.əˈnɪər/) in a general sense is a person or an organisation who is one of the first to do something and often opens up a new area for others and achieves an innovation.

Can i use a steering wheel clutch via cables i assume , to control the clutching of my car .

I know it would require a really custom steering wheel . but how can i get the cable to run up there . I'd most likely like to leave the stock clutch intact just in case , don't think this would be electronic mod . so would have to be cable actuated
big word .

pro's cons ????

cost ?

piratenanner.gif sheeplove.gif chair.gif welder.gif

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/safety/a...in_formula_one/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXrBi1Y46zU&feature=fvw

tat2dphreak
1) you can do anything you want with enough time and money.

2) if you are going to put the 914 clutch on a cable to the steering wheel, you must be strong as an ox smile.gif

hydraulic clutch might work better, but idk. I know you'd also want to reinforce the steering column since you would be squeezing the wheel to actuate the clutch.

oh, and welcome.png you sound just crazy enough to fit right in wink.gif poke.gif and I mean that in the best way.... good luck smile.gif
flipb
...words...
...words...
...words...

cool picture

old timey picture

cool picture smile.gif

crazy F1 steering wheel picture smile.gif

cool picture smile.gif

HORRIBLE, AWFUL, VERY SAD PICTURE!! hissyfit.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png
BMXerror
Anything can be done with enough time, money, and effort. However, practicality usually gets in the way. Direct cable actuation I would THINK would be all but impossible, as you'd need Popeye forearms to use it. You could do a cable actuation setup with some sort of power assist. Maybe even mechanically actuate a master cylinder with brake booster from a late model car. A much more expensive and better way to do it would be potentiometers in the wheel controlling a hydraulic clutch, which is probably similar to what's being used in F1.
What I would like to know is how fast your 914 is that you would go to all that work to shave a tenth of a second on your changeover from gas to brake (which doesn't translate to .1" off your lap times, BTW). If you're road racing, you would use it a lot. For autocross, personally, I left foot brake on corners that don't require a downshift (most), and heel-toe on corners that do. It works for me. Another issue would be making this comfortable WITHOUT paddle shifters. If you operated it with your left hand while your right hand reached down to shift gears, you wouldn't have much grip on the wheel for your initial turn in.
Personally, it's not something I would do, but if you're asking if it's possible, Yes. If you wanna go for it, then go for it, and make sure you post a full write-up here!
BTW welcome.png
And thanks for the steering wheel video. It was cool.
Mark D.
jmill
Do you want this for speed shifting or left leg/foot issues? If it's the latter you could look into the old VW auto stick shift. I don't know if the stuff can be added to the 901 or you could flip the diff and have a 3 speed 914. confused24.gif
tat2dphreak
Do you want this for speed shifting or left leg/foot issues? If it's the latter you could look into the old VW auto stick shift. I don't know if the stuff can be added to the 901 or you could flip the diff and have a 3 speed 914.

agree.gif

the 914/911 also had a rare version of the auto-stick called sportomatic.

I find the idea intriguing tho, especially for someone with limited mobility in their leg. perhaps the cables could be actuated by hand by using something like a compound-bow gear? one cable down to the floor with an offset gear that would act like a compound bow string, and actuate a second cable, making it easier to pull...

or, a strong electronic solenoid controlled by a switch... your clutch would essentially be on-off though. but this would probably be the easiest way, if there is such a thing smile.gif

btw there ARE sequential shift trannys usable in a 914... which might help... bring money, by the bucket load
turboman808
F1 cars do the clutch and shift the gears by the paddles on the steering wheel. Thats very easy to do. It just cost about 18 grand I would figure.

Need the quaife gearbox for our cars and the geartronics shift actuator.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/ -site seems to be down at the moment.
http://www.gboxweb.com/quaifeseg.html
http://www.geartronics.co.uk/paddleshift.htm

You can certainly setup a actuator that lifts and lowers the clutch but I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do this unless they only have one leg.
camaroz1985
What about a clutch lever on the shifter? A lot of Formula SAE cars use this, and it is much simpler. You don't need to worry about a cable rotating with the steering wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.