Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are these original tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
Like the topic says, I am wondering if these tires are original. They are on the 6k mile car I just got, wondering if they were ever changed.
TROJANMAN
The SP57 is probably the model number.

It might be original to the car.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...sp-57-tire.html
Gigamight
According to that thread, they are original, thanks. I have all 4 of them still (kinda) holding air. A bit of dry rot has set in though sad.gif no surprise.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Apr 7 2010, 01:08 PM) *

Like the topic says, I am wondering if these tires are original. They are on the 6k mile car I just got, wondering if they were ever changed.

\]
yes they are original!!! We would love to see pics of this car asap. Please save it! If not sell it to us so that we can.
Tom_T

Yup - probable so, but no way to verify. With only 6k miles on the car (if correct) - I doubt that they would've been replace, but SP57's were sold at US tire shops back in the day. However, there's now way to tell unless the OO has the records & can verify it. dry.gif

Those are the OEM Dunlop SP 57 165HR15 sport performance steel belted radial tires which were OE on the 73-74 (probably 75-76 also) on the 2.0 models (155 pre-73 & 73> 165SR15 was for 1.7/1.8). Michelin, Continental & Semperits were alos OEM tire providers on new 914s (maybe some others too).

MT & R&T did road test articles in early 73 on the then new 2.0 which ran those SP57 tires. Very sticky but only got 15k +/- out of them, so many of us preferred the Semperits for about equal traction but 2-3x the mileage wear.

There's more info at O&H under the Wheels & Tires nailed thread.

That one looks in very good shape, but wouldn't be very safe to drive on. driving.gif

However, you may be able to sell them as a "show set" or one-zies for "show spares" to the CW crowd. biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 7 2010, 01:35 PM) *

\]
yes they are original!!! We would love to see pics of this car asap. Please save it! If not sell it to us so that we can.

George, he has pix of it posted on another topic in the Garage forum.

It would be cool if you could repair/restore it, plus prove than ones worse off than mine can be resurrected! biggrin.gif
Gigamight
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 7 2010, 04:35 PM) *

\]

Doc, I would love to save this car. It is over my head though. I would also love to sell it to you to save it, but I don't know how to get it to you. Please be aware that there is little that is left after the scavengers got at it.

I am working on pics, but I am cleaning the "stuff" out of it first.

Send me a PM and we can talk selling if you want. I'll give you all the info I have so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.