Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Californa 2010 this weekend -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
Or am I the only one?
Justinp71

Sounds interesting, what are the details?
Porcharu
Linky

Sounds like a fun deal - I know lots of those roads. Especially around Paso - we used to do 'photo rallies' in our college sports car club (instead of directions you got a list of pictures of local areas and had to find your way and get proof - like the number on the back of sign in the pic or a price on a menu.) The back roads of Paso were some of my favorites, and I had a blast laying out many of these events.
Steve

Edit - is the route always the same? San Jose -> SLO would be a great fantastic drive. And not just drive down Hwy 1. There are a few nice ways to get to SLO on some nice roads.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 7 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Sounds interesting, what are the details?

Details - drive to Paso tomorrow afternoon to join up with the SoCal crowd at the Black Oak Inn for beer in the parking lot (think WCR) that night. AFAIK last count was 85 cars. Fun runs from Paso on Friday and Saturday morning and returning to NorCal Saturday afternoon when the SoCal dudes head home. Friday run has lunch at Baja Cantina with fun roads to and from there back to Paso. Saturday run goes from Paso to Creston with brunch at the Loading Chute. Looks like a fun event! Got great reviews from friends last year.
Mike D.
I'm Going! Leaving from Santa Clarita and meeting up with the crowd in Ojai. There is a tour of someone's personal car collection. And another personal collection tour on Sat. morning before the brunch. I talked with Dave B. (TRE) and he said these collections are impessive, but he wouldn't give any details.

I've also got Don Cameron as co-pilot. He has a very nice '70 914-6 with a 3.2, but had surgury a few weeks ago and doesn't feel up to driving. So I talked him into riding along. He went last year and said it was great. And interesting with all the other types of cars.

I'll post pics as soon as we get back. No computer this weekend, not even going to take it.
carreraguy
Had a great time at the Targa California this past Friday/Saturday.
Attached are a few pics.
An interesting collection of twisty tools and there are MANY twisties in the Paso/SLO area! I highly recommend the well-organized event; especially for those who consider themselves good SoCal canyon carvers. Next time I hope to be better at braking sooner for those blind turns with decreasing radii (no accident).
There were six 914s there and only one of them was a four, my Subified 914AROO. Three were 914/6s (one an original GT), and two 3.2 (or bigger?) conversions. I'm sure Mike and Ron have better pics to share. A photographer from Excellence had his 911 and cameras at the ready so we may even see an article on the event soon.
Later,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike D.
Great to see you out there Tom! We had so much fun, A real Driving event. I swear I think we did 800 miles! And even a dirt road. More seat time than any other event in all the years of owning this car. We went from Ojai to Paso, and Paso to Carmel/Monterey without ever seeing one foot of freeway.

The yellow 914 with flares was a factory GT car, with a HiPo 2.5. Dave's black 914 is 3.3 twin plug monster. The straight bodied yellow 914 is 3.2. And the red one is a V8. And so many other cool cars too.

Mike D.
files too big, have to add one at a time....
Mike D.
OK, smaller now...
Mike D.
few more, and we got to see some private collections along the way too...
ConeDodger
Mike,
When you say there was an original factory GT do you mean one of the 49 or so that were built by the factory or do you mean an M471 car? There is a black M471 car owned by a professor at Gavilan College in Gilroy that frequents just about every event on every weekend he can... Car belonged to his brother originally IIRC.

A closer read reveals you do mean a real factory GT. You didn't happen to record the VIN? We have people here who are recording the whereabouts of the factory GT cars. I am sure this is already recorded if it is here in California but on the oft chance... biggrin.gif
Mike D.
This is a guy that lives in Camario, Ca. He also owns the First 914-6 that was on show at the last German Autofest in Ventura. Both cars were restored at Kundensport in Camario. Didn't think to get the vin.
Here are a few pics, I didn't get any close ups, but maybe Don C. did. I check out his pics this week.

Mike D.
There are pics of both the #1 914-6 and the yellow GT car here on Pelicans page.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet_pics/...st_09/Page1.htm
Chris Pincetich
I've seen the yellow GT at the "Ventura Show" and it is impressive.
That looks awesome. I want one of those rally stickers so will have to go next year.
Thanks for the pics beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
The experts on real GT's hang at Roadglue and I have heard mention of Kundensport over there so I bet they do know about this car... Thanks for the extra information. biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
Yellow car is super nice. Have seen it several times now. Not sure about the all-yellow on a real GT, but it is a VERY nice car.

Any more pics of the red car? It is very alluring...

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.