Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 195 65 15 tires.. watcha running ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Been looking for a set of 195 65 15's to replace my 24 year old Dunlops. You guys have any suggestions/reckomendations?
TROJANMAN
I ran a 205/50 on my 4 cylinder and really liked it.

The taller tire makes for a more comfortable ride though.
Ian Stott
I'm running 205/60 15's Bridgestone Potenza's, very happy with them.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
rmital
BF Goodrich 195/65/15 driving.gif
tod914
Was over at Eurotire today. The 195 65's are real close in height to the originals. Have a bit more width which is nice. Kind of best of two worlds. Only problem I'm seeing, most tires offered in that size are touring. Pretty happy with your BF's Ray? Oh by the way Ray, car show at Indian Hills Highschool, Oakland NJ on the Saturday the 24th if your interested. Ooops never mind, I see that overlaps with Hershey for you.
realred914
195 50 x 15 on my factory 2liter fuchs fit fine under stock fenders. a bit smaller, so speedo needs to re-calibrate or just do the math in your head, does make teh car a bit more buzzy on the high way however.

check out all the tire racks selction on there web site.

not some tires of same sioxe rating will fit differently .

on one of me cars I have two brands of 195 50 15 tires one brands side wall bulges out a lot more than teh other. the aligmnet place had a hard time fitting there alingment mirror clamps on the tires that bulged out more, but no probelm on the other two tires.

the difference can cause rubbing on the fenders or wheel well, specaily with some aftermarket rims that have a diffenrt offset spacing.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 7 2010, 07:44 PM) *

Was over at Eurotire today. The 195 65's are real close in height to the originals. Have a bit more width which is nice. Kind of best of two worlds. Only problem I'm seeing, most tires offered in that size are touring.

Tod - well here we go again on the endless 914 tire question. lol-2.gif

There a several 195/65HR15's & a couple of VR's which are HP or UHP rated. Just Google the tire size, plus do the tire by size check dealie on Tire Rack, Discount Tires/American Tires, & all of the major brands - Micheman, Conti, Bridgerock, Yoko, Kumho, Dunlop, Pirelli, Falken, Goodyear, etc. & you should come up with one HP or UHP sports tire for almost all of them.

I'm hearing good & bad from different folks on all of them, so do what we did in the 70's to pick the Semperit M201/M401 165HR15's over the Dunlop SP57's due to the latter's crappy wear life - look at the R&T MT, etc. sports tires tests, then drive on someone else's mounted with tires from your shortlist! driving.gif

They don't all have to be on 914s to get the feel of them, but all should be on lighter sports cars to be comparable .... you'll tell pretty quickly which ones you like best for your tastes & driving style & usage. biggrin.gif

Let me know what you end up with! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
underthetire
If you have enough rim, you can go to a 205/60 and be very close to the 195/65. I got 205/60's under my car with my old rivi's, but they bulged on the narrow rim. I'm running 205/50/16 on my 16X7 dials now.
realred914
it is gettijng harder to find good performance tires in the small rim size these days. 15 inch is not supported by as many tires types as int eh past, 13 inch is dog gone rare compaired to years ago. had a nice discussion with my tire installer about that recently. the trend is for the big diameter rims. good stuff is stillout there for 15 inch, just a bit less selction than years ago. this also means less 15 inch sizes are stocked to make room for all them crazy big dia tires in the stores.

once there was a time when teh old skinny 165 SR 15 tires were sold and stocked by near every tire store, now they are often on order, or selction is one or two brands rahter than more choices in that size, sign of the times.

then agian that was the time when it seemed every tenth car on the road was a VW bug
70_914
I am leaning towards Federal Formoza 195/65/15's myself. Nice all around tire that I have run on a couple cars so far and have been happy with.
1968Cayman
Jack stands. I can't WAIT to contribute something meaningful to a "What tire are you running" thread . . .
BiG bOgGs
I'm running 195/50/15s all around, On 5 lug fuchs, like realred914. The speedo says 86 when I am doing 75, but otherwise I like the look.

I am interested in what other rubber might fit under stock fenders (or slightly modified, lip is already rolled ) that will be closer to stock diameter. I just need to figure this out before I refurbish the speedometer, and have it re-calibrated to the final tire size I settle on.
Lennies914
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Apr 8 2010, 04:23 PM) *

Jack stands. I can't WAIT to contribute something meaningful to a "What tire are you running" thread . . .

agree.gif Can't wait to start wearing out some tires. My jack stands take more abuse than my tires laugh.gif
tod914
lol, yah mine has been on stands for 6 months. A few more weeks should hopefully have it on the road.
Vysoc
I just replaced the 1988 AVS Yokohama early PV-1 or something like that, they were 185/65 R-15. I did my research on Tire Rack and for $66.00 a tire, bought the Sumitomo HTR 200 in 195/65 R15, there were very few options in that size. Installed them on my Enkei Rims Thursday afternoon they fit under the rear wheel well just fine. This is to be the set of tires to work the kinks out of a car that has not run for 10 years but is now up and running. The tires rated best in category so what the hell?

It is so fun to actually drive the 914 after working on it for 3 years!

Vysoc driving.gif
tod914
This looks like an interesting choice. http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes...p;BandtypeID=55
Smitty911
Pole Position II, Firestone had them, buy three get the forth free. Hard to pass them up. As my son is currently driving the car, I can't comment, but he said he liked them, but who doesn't like Free?

195/60/15's on Fake Fuchs

Smitty
tod914
Just seen Dunlop has the 5000 summer performance tire. Anyone try those? Reviews say they wear quick, but not really a concern for me. Sounds like you guys got some good bargains there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.