Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure and temp gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
how heavy does the wire have to be to run the VDO gauges?

Can I use bell wire for clean install (like phones in a house)? or is this too lite?

idea.gif

for short run 1-2 feet...

or long run - if i buy gauge pods for window post.....

thanks
VaccaRabite
Use slightly heavier wire. Telephone wire is too small. And make sure you use automotive wire (stranded). You can get spools at any FLAPS.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
Bell wire would work, but I wouldn't use it. It's low voltage, low amperage current, so 18 or 20 gauge stranded wire would be best.
type47
The smallest I could find was 16ga wire at Home Depot so that's what I used to run my VDO oil pressure gauge. They have white, yellow, red, green, blue in spools.
bugsy0
Bell wire is solid, making it very rigid and subject to fatigue and breaking from vibration in an automotive application. Don't use bell wire - it won't last. As for electric current requirements, it would suffice but don't use it - too cheap for your purposes.
McMark
You know what someone would say if they bought a car that was wired with telephone wire.............. ph34r.gif
type47
"What would Pat do?"
qa1142
got 18 gauge at the flaps at lunch drunk.gif

Everyone can calm down now agree.gif

McMark
smilie_pokal.gif
VaccaRabite
agree.gif

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.