Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Ground Strap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ericv1

When I pulled the alternator, there was a small ground strap that ran from the alternator to the engine case. I decided to replace it but can't locate it on the pelican website. Can I use a new transmission ground strap? It's wider and longer but should serve the same function. I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
kconway
I don't believe the ground your speaking of was original to the design but what you suggest should work fine if it fits. The only ground path was alternator-->fan shroud-->engine case-->trans case-->chassis via strap.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 8 2010, 07:20 AM) *

I don't believe the ground your speaking of was original to the design but what you suggest should work fine if it fits. The only ground path was alternator-->fan shroud-->engine case-->trans case-->chassis via strap.

On the contrary, the ground strap is original, and MUST be installed. I wouldn't use a transmission ground strap because the hole at the alternator end is way too large. Just order it from the dealer. You know, the place where the aftermarket resellers get their dealer parts?

The Cap'n
kconway
Sorry for the misinformation, I stand corrected. PET shows part number: 901.612.110.00.
Ericv1
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2010, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 8 2010, 07:20 AM) *

On the contrary, the ground strap is original, and MUST be installed. I wouldn't use a transmission ground strap because the hole at the alternator end is way too large. Just order it from the dealer. You know, the place where the aftermarket resellers get their dealer parts?

The Cap'n

I appreciate the information. I'll give Porsche a call.
SLITS
In lieu of the OE ground strap, I have used heavy gauge wire with ring terminals. CASOB
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 8 2010, 08:30 AM) *

In lieu of the OE ground strap, I have used heavy gauge wire with ring terminals. CASOB

You already pissed off the Cap' with your post on the other website this morning. Don't do it again........
Dmidco914
can you tell me where the ground strap actually lands on the engine? alternator side will be to one of the three bolts that hold the housing but where is the correct location for the other end?
johnhora
901-612-110-00 or 911-612-233-00
Goes from back of alternator to a case bolt...This is at the rear of the alternator underneath/inside of the shroud. One end of the strap is small for the alternator and the other end is larger for the case bolt.
It's a must have to ground the alternator.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Did the 914/4 have this same ground strap? The reason I ask is that the strangest thing just happened. I was on the Pelican site looking for something completely different and this "Alternator to Engine Ground Strap" popped up and said it fits my 914-4. I thought that was weird since I had never seen a ground strap there, so started browsing the PET for answers. The PET does not specify only a six; just that there is one per car. Then I pulled up the World and found this ancient thread necromanced to the top of the threads. I thought the Universe might be sending me a message so figured I would ask.
Dave_Darling
No external ground strap or wire should be needed for the four-cylinder cars. Must be a hiccup in Pelican's catalog.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.